Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby mr anderson... » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 pm

http://fantasybaseballcalculator.webs.com/

I put together a fantasy baseball calculator with a lot of customized settings and features. I am not going to list them all here, I have outlined everything that it can do on the website listed.
I do not make any money on this - it has not cost me anything to develop, aside from my time, and it will always be completely free for everyone.

I am a bit of a perfectionist and I am looking for flaws and errors or possible ideas to make this even better. Im sure there are some - I am not a professional programmer and have probably only worked on this for 100 hours (for this time around. I did one several years ago that, while not as good, gave me a good foundation for this one. I spent a lot more time on that one developing the workflow).

Here is direct link to the most recent file (although it updates most days):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mjj1o44eo3ic ... -2013.xlsx

the only thing i really have left to do unless someone brings something urgent to my attention is adding to the projection lists. I currently have updated CAIRO, ROTOWIRE, AND ROTOCHAMP, with plans for maybe a dozen or so more to add. getting the names consistent is the biggest challenge when combining multiple sources into one coherent list.

2012 games played automatically determines position eligibility.

pick and choose custom user projections are also enabled, allowing you to have everything exactly how you want it.

let me know what you guys think! i know i have posted on this before in reference to the calculator - but felt this request for testers deserved its own post.
thank you
Last edited by mr anderson... on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for Testers - Free Fantasy Baseball Calculator

Postby BigZ38 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Ive played around it with a bit.

Looks like you did a lot of great work with it.

One error I noticed is that, if you mark players as drafted (or I would consider owned for keeper leagues), and then readjust the weights, then the rankings move. Unfortunately, the teams that own that player do not move as the players move.

Also, it would be amazing if somehow you could determine some sort of inflation for keeper leagues. So my league keeps about 50 guys. All are usually kept well below value. If I could input those values, how does that impact their value going forward in a redraft.

Example, I have Mike Trout at $2 in a 12 team H2H keeper, and lets say he should go for 50. Assuming all dollars are to be spent, where does that 48 dollars get spread to.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mr anderson... » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 pm

BigZ38 wrote:Ive played around it with a bit.

Looks like you did a lot of great work with it.

One error I noticed is that, if you mark players as drafted (or I would consider owned for keeper leagues), and then readjust the weights, then the rankings move. Unfortunately, the teams that own that player do not move as the players move.

Are you referring to the results tab for team owning the player not moving? i did this intentionally to represent that even if you are weighting the stats different, the end league results will still be taken as equal. so if you were to weight stolen bases at a 0, the league would still score based on normal stolen base stats so even though the big board is valued with weighted stats, the league is scored with standard stats - or am i looking in the wrong place? good feedback i would like a little clarification though

edit: a dropbox link with a file that has the settings in question would probably help me see the problems easier in you would be so kind

BigZ38 wrote:Also, it would be amazing if somehow you could determine some sort of inflation for keeper leagues. So my league keeps about 50 guys. All are usually kept well below value. If I could input those values, how does that impact their value going forward in a redraft.

Example, I have Mike Trout at $2 in a 12 team H2H keeper, and lets say he should go for 50. Assuming all dollars are to be spent, where does that 48 dollars get spread to.

this should already be in there on the big board under current value. if you were to mark the players kept as 'drafted' and for how much, the current value column adjacent to the starting value will update as needed. It will take the players out of the pool that were drafted, as well as for how much, and redistribute the money to the remaining players accordingly.

this would be column F on the big board

edit: i will look this over again tomorrow - i wouldnt appear my totals are summing to the appropriate amount in the redistributed column. thank you for pointing out this possible error to me
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:30 am

OK I get the inflationary value now, that is fantastic.

What I was saying in my first section was this.

When you first enter, everything is set to 10 for weight. Lets say you dont mess with the weights, and then go into the bigboard and assign players to teams. Then you realize, I'd like to move saves down to a 4 because I don't draft saves. Changing that weight changes your bigboard, but the players move around in the rankings, and the name of the team they are assigned to does not move with the player. So in this example, if I go in with all weights as a 10, the number 15 ranked player is Craig Kimbrel. I own him, so I designate that team #1 owns him for 2. I then decide, I don't value saves that highly at this point, and go weight them at a 4. The #15 ranked player is then Felix Hernandez, and the big board is marking that I own him at $2. Essentially, once you start inputting your data and your league in, at this moment you can't adjust the weights
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mr anderson... » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:36 am

yeah i see what youre saying now. this is a pretty big bug. i have a few ideas on how to fix it but i really dont like any of them. I will try my best to resolve this today though. thank you for identifying this for me.

i just fixed the inflation calculation to be accurate, i will release that when i fix this weighting issue though.
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm

The other thing is, I wonder what kind of formula you could take into account to possibly provide some sort of auction value cost. I get the whole value system, but Mark Trumbo isn't going for a buck in my league. This can be a really useful tool in determining where value is built, but I am just wondering out loud about how to best use it as a tool to value guys in the auction.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mr anderson... » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:50 pm

here is an updated link - i believe i fixed the problem. I'm not entirely happy with the solution as the end user may have to sort a column now but oh well - im not good enough to get a better solution yet so it will have to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksli3m7x0uocx ... -2013.xlsx

BigZ38 wrote:The other thing is, I wonder what kind of formula you could take into account to possibly provide some sort of auction value cost. I get the whole value system, but Mark Trumbo isn't going for a buck in my league. This can be a really useful tool in determining where value is built, but I am just wondering out loud about how to best use it as a tool to value guys in the auction.

do you think if we compared the calculator value to the average draft value this would accomplish it?

example: player x is being mocked at $25 but is worth $45 according to the calculator for a comparison value of $20

I'm pretty certain i could do this fairly easily, I just want to throw some ideas out there before jumping feet first. awesome idea though i do like this. ultimately drafting correct value over expected is what is going to define a successful draft so i suppose this is valuable info to have.
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:03 pm

mr anderson... wrote:here is an updated link - i believe i fixed the problem. I'm not entirely happy with the solution as the end user may have to sort a column now but oh well - im not good enough to get a better solution yet so it will have to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksli3m7x0uocx ... -2013.xlsx

BigZ38 wrote:The other thing is, I wonder what kind of formula you could take into account to possibly provide some sort of auction value cost. I get the whole value system, but Mark Trumbo isn't going for a buck in my league. This can be a really useful tool in determining where value is built, but I am just wondering out loud about how to best use it as a tool to value guys in the auction.

do you think if we compared the calculator value to the average draft value this would accomplish it?

example: player x is being mocked at $25 but is worth $45 according to the calculator for a comparison value of $20

I'm pretty certain i could do this fairly easily, I just want to throw some ideas out there before jumping feet first. awesome idea though i do like this. ultimately drafting correct value over expected is what is going to define a successful draft so i suppose this is valuable info to have.

Yea I think that could work. Basically It highlights where the projected value propositions are.

Without diving too deeply into your numbers, where does position scarcity come into play. At second base, Aaron Hill's projected value may be 15, my board may tell me that it is 10, but considering the drop off is projected to be pretty steep, I suppose there has to be some sort of equalizer.

That being said, I recognize there has to be a element of human evaluation in all of this. I see this being most useful in determining where the potential value remains once my leagues keepers have been inputted. For me if I have Kimbrel cheap and plan to draft a few other cheapies at the end, I want to know where the value lies once I eliminate the need for this type of player.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mr anderson... » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 pm

scarcity works by normalizing the positions by identifying replacement level players. It will find the highest scoring player at each position that will NOT contribute to the final standings and equalize that to zero. all of the other players at that position will be adjusted with that same amount accordingly.

Most of the calculators out there use this type of logic in their valuations. I differ slightly in identifying that player than the rest but in all honesty - the difference isnt all too much when i compared them but it can cause minor ranking fluctuations in even reaching the top 10

edit: or are you talking about positional loss where you assign a value to the difference between the 7th ranked catcher and the 8th ranked catcher?

i had this in my version 2 years ago and excluded it from the current version as i felt it led to inaccurate valuations by introducing 'fake' value and made a parity of all the values. now that i am thinking about it i might look into it again but more or less i use this type of evaluation method to determine tiers.

ex:

Code: Select all
player      value     diff    positional loss
player a   50          2           52
player b   48          2           50
player c   46          7           53
player d   39          1           40
player e   38          -            -

you see that player c ends up being valued more than player a. because player a is more valuable than player c, player c ends that tier.

i never found an efficient way that didnt result in 20+ tiers or completely wonky results - but i may look back into it now that im thinking about it again
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Wow, it looks great! The one thing that isn't working for me is selecting what team drafted a player. The cell indicates a drop down menu, but there doesn't appear to be any way to select a team. My settings are for a 10-team AL-Only Roto league.

Also, the value of pitchers appear to be slightly low. It may be just b/c of my settings, but Verlander is valued at $24, while, in most assessments, he's valued at closer to $33ish. It's a 10-team al-only league with OBP and K-BB as additional categories. If I set the custom $ allocation to ON and set it to 70%, it seems to work a little better.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers