Felix Fun Fact From Forecaster - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Felix Fun Fact From Forecaster

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Felix Fun Fact From Forecaster

Postby converge241 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:38 am

And yes the title was an intentional alliteration tongue twister :-]

Thought it was worth sharing where he is such a high priced pitcher for those who don't know (though I am sure many have seen and noted):

Felix's fastball speed has dropped in MPH each of the last 5 seasons AND he has one of the heavier usages of innings over that same time.

Just a potential proceed with caution type warning.

Coincidentally see some talk picking up again about an extension..if he and his agent are more open to extension now maybe that's another possible red flag a storm is on horizon and getting while the getting is good.

Don't go jumping off a bridge if you own him in keeper or dynasty, he could be fine and have another great year and these are irrelevant circumstances..but keep this stuff in the back of your head when drafting/bidding.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 121)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Felix Fun Fact From Forecaster

Postby oscar15 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 pm

May I add that Seattle moved the fences in.
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 21)

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm

He does get to face the Astros 3 or 4 times, that has to offset some of the negatives.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby silverZ » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm

oscar15 wrote:May I add that Seattle moved the fences in.

TIL http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... a&c_id=sea

That's a pretty significant change in left center field.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Element » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Felix still gets a great deal of ground balls (career 54%). I would be more worried about the LD% increase in each of the past 2 seasons. Even still, his xFIP has been the model of consistency. I am not the least bit worried about him.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:20 pm

How many people were worried about Lincecum after 2011 (pre-spring training declaration that he didn't want to throw his slider anymore) when he'd seen steady and significant drops in velocity? Not saying it will happen the same to Felix, but I wouldn't rule it out simply because he was still good in 2012. Early last season a couple prominent analysts stated their concern about him. Of course he proceeded to throw a perfect game, but the concern is still valid.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 pm

I was worried about Lincecum going into last year and I'm worried about Felix this year. I don't usually draft pitchers that early so isn't an issue for me. I mean you can't be too worried but it is enough for me to pass on them where their ADP even if I do decide I want a pitcher that early.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby converge241 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:35 am

Skin Blues wrote:How many people were worried about Lincecum after 2011 (pre-spring training declaration that he didn't want to throw his slider anymore) when he'd seen steady and significant drops in velocity? Not saying it will happen the same to Felix, but I wouldn't rule it out simply because he was still good in 2012. Early last season a couple prominent analysts stated their concern about him. Of course he proceeded to throw a perfect game, but the concern is still valid.

Yeah Lincecum and what happened to him in 2012 could be a perfect comparison.

Re: the fences being pulled in - Always laugh when teams do this to "help their teams" THE VISITORS WILL BE HITTING TOO!

Have a unique park and play to its strengths..they all just pull the fences in (or want to)..has this really worked for teams yet?
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Izenhart » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:28 pm

converge241 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:How many people were worried about Lincecum after 2011 (pre-spring training declaration that he didn't want to throw his slider anymore) when he'd seen steady and significant drops in velocity? Not saying it will happen the same to Felix, but I wouldn't rule it out simply because he was still good in 2012. Early last season a couple prominent analysts stated their concern about him. Of course he proceeded to throw a perfect game, but the concern is still valid.

Yeah Lincecum and what happened to him in 2012 could be a perfect comparison.

Re: the fences being pulled in - Always laugh when teams do this to "help their teams" THE VISITORS WILL BE HITTING TOO!

Have a unique park and play to its strengths..they all just pull the fences in (or want to)..has this really worked for teams yet?

It's not so much to generate more wins as it is a ploy to make it a more attractive place for free agents to sign. Adrian Beltre comes to mind as someone who got out of there on a 1 year contract as a layup for a multiyear deal. More runs and home runs created generates excitement and fan interest too.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 531)

Postby converge241 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:51 pm

converge241 wrote:And yes the title was an intentional alliteration tongue twister :-]

Thought it was worth sharing where he is such a high priced pitcher for those who don't know (though I am sure many have seen and noted):

Felix's fastball speed has dropped in MPH each of the last 5 seasons AND he has one of the heavier usages of innings over that same time.

Just a potential proceed with caution type warning.

Coincidentally see some talk picking up again about an extension..if he and his agent are more open to extension now maybe that's another possible red flag a storm is on horizon and getting while the getting is good.

Don't go jumping off a bridge if you own him in keeper or dynasty, he could be fine and have another great year and these are irrelevant circumstances..but keep this stuff in the back of your head when drafting/bidding.

Wow go figure..

"SUNDAY, 2:25pm: The Mariners and Hernandez are not close to finishing an extension because concern has developed over the condition of his pitching elbow, a source tells ESPN's Buster Olney. The elbow issue is perceived by at least one of the parties in the deal as being a possible impediment to the completion of the new contract, according to Olney."
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers