Draft commentary - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 14 Team Slow Mock II

Draft commentary

Moderators: TheRock, Izenhart

Re: Draft commentary

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 am

Izenhart wrote:CarGo, Bautista, Hamilton and Upton were the three I was eying (eyeing?) at #11 overall - I had a good feeling Upton would make it back to me but wasn't sure about the other three. Almost took CarGo anyway, the reason that talked me out of it was I didn't want my first two picks to be OFs, even though there's nothing wrong with that - the position has a lot of value in the mid rounds (like pitching I guess). Maybe I just have a crush on big ol Kersh ;-7

And FWIW I love the Strasburg pick where he went. I don't think his durability is a huge concern yet and the kid gloves are coming off with him this year.

I think it's ok to take 2 outfielders since the mock draft set up has us starting 5 outfielders. I see nothing wrong with it.

Kershaw, Verlander, and Strasburg are the only 3 pitchers I would even consider in the first 2 rounds.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Izenhart » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 am

NikkiSixx wrote:
Izenhart wrote:CarGo, Bautista, Hamilton and Upton were the three I was eying (eyeing?) at #11 overall - I had a good feeling Upton would make it back to me but wasn't sure about the other three. Almost took CarGo anyway, the reason that talked me out of it was I didn't want my first two picks to be OFs, even though there's nothing wrong with that - the position has a lot of value in the mid rounds (like pitching I guess). Maybe I just have a crush on big ol Kersh ;-7

And FWIW I love the Strasburg pick where he went. I don't think his durability is a huge concern yet and the kid gloves are coming off with him this year.

I think it's ok to take 2 outfielders since the mock draft set up has us starting 5 outfielders. I see nothing wrong with it.

Kershaw, Verlander, and Strasburg are the only 3 pitchers I would even consider in the first 2 rounds.

Ya, like I said there's nothing wrong with jumping on two OFs - with our setup especially I agree, 14 team league starting 5 each thats 70 OFs :-X thank goodness we aren't drafting a bench, at the end of the draft there will probably be some decent P options but the OF pool will be fairly dry.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 302)

Postby EL BURRO » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Yeah - the 5 OF set-up makes the first 4 rounds very interesting, OF tend to get an extra bump as a result. However, I was all set to take Longoria or Beltre with my pick 2.08, but wasn't meant to be... Backup plan was Justin Upton (so essentially my queue got wiped out entirely). I opted for Jason Heyward, who is a bit of a reach this early in the 2nd, just did not think he would make it back to me. moreover, he should be hitting in the middle of a very good Braves lineup.

If he repeats last year - ill be fine with this selection, but I think he might take a small step forward -- could easily see 95/28/90 .280 /20 as a baseline...
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 110)

Postby rotoquest » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:53 pm

At #23 overall, I had a tough time deciding between kinsler & david wright. With kinsler a little higher rated on my sheet, I chose him, and basically I felt I was lucky to get either one, and probably won't in a real draft based on 3 SP off the board already in this mock.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:01 pm

Adam Jones, my new love. 5 category guy ;-D
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 129)

Postby EL BURRO » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Almost took AJ over Heyward. He's entering his prime and coming off solid year. Like the pick!
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm

EL BURRO wrote:Yeah - the 5 OF set-up makes the first 4 rounds very interesting, OF tend to get an extra bump as a result. However, I was all set to take Longoria or Beltre with my pick 2.08, but wasn't meant to be... Backup plan was Justin Upton (so essentially my queue got wiped out entirely). I opted for Jason Heyward, who is a bit of a reach this early in the 2nd, just did not think he would make it back to me. moreover, he should be hitting in the middle of a very good Braves lineup.

If he repeats last year - ill be fine with this selection, but I think he might take a small step forward -- could easily see 95/28/90 .280 /20 as a baseline...

I was in the same boat at 2.07. In a normal league I probably would have thought about Pedroia/Kinsler here and maybe Wright. But in a 5 OF league I felt OF was going to be as scarce a position as 2B. I don't love him, but I had to go Upton because I figure by the time the draft got back to me there would be no top tier OF available.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby EL BURRO » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Exactly, you are essentially punting a top MI/CI by going OF-OF in Rounds 1-2 but this year, but I feel you can still get decent CI/MI middle rounds. We shall see ;-)
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Three guys I was looking at here, took the one I thought had the least chance of getting back to me. Back in the NL I gotta think that he gets back to at least upper-20s HRs ( And his HR/FB last year looks pretty fluky). The average is always there, and the runs and RBIs will come in that line up. I would have taken him over a lot of guys already picked.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 pm

wanted buster but pedroia is the other guy i was looking at. pretty happy to get agonz and him in the 2nd/3rd rounds.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

PreviousNext

Return to 14 Team Slow Mock II