Draft commentary - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 14 Team Slow Mock II

Draft commentary

Moderators: TheRock, Izenhart

Re: Draft commentary

Postby TheRock » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Fiers is a guy I was eyeing this round as well. One of a number of late-round high-upside pitchers still out there.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Izenhart » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Was also looking at Fiers, nice nab.

I sort of went on a whim with Moss, looks like with the recent moves in OAK he may have a full time gig and the potential of that, his power (36 homeruns in AAA and the majors) I like him a lot if he gets to bat cleanup too.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 300)

Postby Izenhart » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:19 pm

De Aza is taken, replace your pick when you can, let's keep the draft going for now.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rotoquest » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 pm

EL BURRO wrote:FYI - was really hoping to be almost finished with this draft. I leave the country for a wedding on Thursday night, 2/7 thru Monday, 2/11. Due to my dedication and devotion to you guys, Im going to see this thru, so I will log on and check 1x day until finished--- but if we could speed this up, that would be wonderful.

Thx for making it happen.

Don't sweat it, have fun. You might be back in the country before it's your turn to pick again anyway. :-D
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 pm

So sorry for holding it up, I actually fell asleep at the screen last night hoping to get a pick in then proceeded to sleep till noon. Then I saw Salty takes the guy I wanted, gosh he'd be a perfect fit on my team. If Cabrera gets 550+ ABs he will be a huge SB boon - at SS too, which looks to me to be the most shallow position. Great grab.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheRock » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:00 pm

rjforlife wrote:... Drafting a mock and drafting a real league are entirely different because people take wild risks and intentionally don't draft players they are targeting in mocks because it somewhat defeats the purpose of seeing where they end up being chosen.

While we're in a lull for the next few hours...

This is entirely wrong and a complete cop-out IMO. But a lot of people do this so I'm not singling you out necessarily. If you're interested in seeing where a certain player will fall, then be the guy watching a mock, not the guy in the mock. Take Eaton for instance. I took him where I did because that's where I felt it was worth the gamble to take him. If I and the rest of us were employing your strategy, he would probably still be out there and we would be amazed that he was lasting so long. So is where I took him a reasonable expectation? Well according to your answer no, because you probably deliberately passed on him where you would normally take him and other players. The purpose of a mock is the give others in the greater community just what you said - a chance to see where players will fall. But if we as participants are deliberately NOT making selections we think are in the best interest of our team, then the mock loses value to everyone.

</soapbox>
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:13 pm

TheRock wrote:
rjforlife wrote:... Drafting a mock and drafting a real league are entirely different because people take wild risks and intentionally don't draft players they are targeting in mocks because it somewhat defeats the purpose of seeing where they end up being chosen.

While we're in a lull for the next few hours...

This is entirely wrong and a complete cop-out IMO. But a lot of people do this so I'm not singling you out necessarily. If you're interested in seeing where a certain player will fall, then be the guy watching a mock, not the guy in the mock. Take Eaton for instance. I took him where I did because that's where I felt it was worth the gamble to take him. If I and the rest of us were employing your strategy, he would probably still be out there and we would be amazed that he was lasting so long. So is where I took him a reasonable expectation? Well according to your answer no, because you probably deliberately passed on him where you would normally take him and other players. The purpose of a mock is the give others in the greater community just what you said - a chance to see where players will fall. But if we as participants are deliberately NOT making selections we think are in the best interest of our team, then the mock loses value to everyone.

</soapbox>

I agree with all of this.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:19 pm

What they ^^^^^ said. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1436)

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:19 pm

For me the purpose of participating in a mock is go see what kind of team I can assemble. And if I'm not happy with it figure out the adjustments I need to make. I'm up or making this a sit and watch league so I can possibly be better in the future. I definitely selected everyone that was #1 on my board at their position when it was my turn.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:07 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:For me the purpose of participating in a mock is go see what kind of team I can assemble. And if I'm not happy with it figure out the adjustments I need to make. I'm up or making this a sit and watch league so I can possibly be better in the future. I definitely selected everyone that was #1 on my board at their position when it was my turn.

I didn't pick my top player every round - Ruggiano has been the top hitter on my board for about 3 rounds - but I didn't intentionally pass on him to see where he would go - I passed on him because I expected him to last a few more rounds while other guys I wanted wouldn't have. Ditto on David Ortiz, I waited a round and still got him. Everth Cabrera is another I've wanted for a few rounds and my last pick I was in for a headache trying to decide which one to take between him and Ruggiano, which is why I didn't send a list out, I wanted to make that decision when it was time. The top guy on my want list has fallen 1 pick before my turn many times during this, so the last thing I'm going to do is pass on someone I want just to see where they go.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to 14 Team Slow Mock II