Draft commentary - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 14 Team Slow Mock II

Draft commentary

Moderators: TheRock, Izenhart

Re: Draft commentary

Postby EL BURRO » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Again, the roto league not punting a category argument has merit, but it's just not the "save" that I look at with RP, it's the accompanying peripherals of whip, era and ks. In fact, I'd argue that Jansen, and not League (even with the closer role) will be of more value in fantasy leagues given those factors. As you say, to each their own. I dont pay for RP unless someone falls.

Full disclosure, I was targeting Addison Reed here, but he got snagged. I think he has a chance to put up Top 5 numbers if he stays in that role all year..,
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 289
(Past Year: 110)
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Draft commentary

Postby rotoquest » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:58 pm

EL BURRO wrote:Again, the roto league not punting a category argument has merit, but it's just not the "save" that I look at with RP, it's the accompanying peripherals of whip, era and ks. In fact, I'd argue that Jansen, and not League (even with the closer role) will be of more value in fantasy leagues given those factors. As you say, to each their own. I dont pay for RP unless someone falls.

Full disclosure, I was targeting Addison Reed here, but he got snagged. I think he has a chance to put up Top 5 numbers if he stays in that role all year..,


Your case is different than Nikkisixx's case at this point in the draft which is the one I was referring to. He already chose a closer and you did not. It makes more sense for him to get another closer at this point and try for more saves than punt the category. You on the other hand can make up some of those points in strike outs and wins with a couple of really good setup men. I've seen both philosophies play out in leagues over the years, and there are arguments to support each. But it doesn't make sense to draft a closer and then switch to a setup man and get one of each. However if you do, then you better be the first to the waiver wire.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1650
(Past Year: 194)
Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft commentary

Postby EL BURRO » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:29 pm

To augment that point, I also feel that if you draft a few of the right setup guys, you need not rush to the waiver wire as you will likely be sitting on a little pot of fantasy gold. ;-D
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 289
(Past Year: 110)
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Draft commentary

Postby Izenhart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:48 pm

I think once the 'safe; closers are off the board (safe being who you trust personally) it's a good idea to grab the power arms if you are targeting better stats. Lets say a shaky closer loses his job in July and posts horrible numbers, I'd rather keep a guy like Kenley on the bench and hope he gains the closer role by July, because then you still get three months of saves but with much better overall numbers.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1611
(Past Year: 286)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville

Re: Draft commentary

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:37 pm

rotoquest wrote:
EL BURRO wrote:Again, the roto league not punting a category argument has merit, but it's just not the "save" that I look at with RP, it's the accompanying peripherals of whip, era and ks. In fact, I'd argue that Jansen, and not League (even with the closer role) will be of more value in fantasy leagues given those factors. As you say, to each their own. I dont pay for RP unless someone falls.

Full disclosure, I was targeting Addison Reed here, but he got snagged. I think he has a chance to put up Top 5 numbers if he stays in that role all year..,


Your case is different than Nikkisixx's case at this point in the draft which is the one I was referring to. He already chose a closer and you did not. It makes more sense for him to get another closer at this point and try for more saves than punt the category. You on the other hand can make up some of those points in strike outs and wins with a couple of really good setup men. I've seen both philosophies play out in leagues over the years, and there are arguments to support each. But it doesn't make sense to draft a closer and then switch to a setup man and get one of each. However if you do, then you better be the first to the waiver wire.

While it's true that it might have been better for me to not get Jansen (especially if we decide to turn this into an actual league, which I hope we do), I just think he is 1 of 3 guys capable of putting up "Kimbrel numbers" (the other 2 being of course Craig Kimbrel and Aroldis Chapman). I was just willing to risk it in round 16, and I don't fully trust any of the remaining current closers. I'm fairly confident that Jansen will end up having the closer role to himself...eventually. There are 9 pitching slots, so I already have the strategy of 6 starters and 3 relievers... I was just willing to make one of those relievers a dominant setup guy... until Jansen was selected 2 picks before me.

I understand what you are saying. It was going to be a risky decision for me, but that kind of upside in round 16 was going to be too much for me to turn down. I very well may be better off with Madson, only time will tell.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2587
(Past Year: 431)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Re: Draft commentary

Postby rotoquest » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:27 pm

'NikkiSixx wrote: (especially if we decide to turn this into an actual league, which I hope we do)


Yeah about that idea...I guess it would be low maintenance to set it up. I agree with NO waiver wire moves, but I think there should be a few dl slots for unforeseen incidents...like Izenhart drafting carpenter.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1650
(Past Year: 194)
Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft commentary

Postby rotoquest » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm

And where in the wide wide world of sports did GF get off to? He's been usually johnny-on-the-spot during this draft.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1650
(Past Year: 194)
Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft commentary

Postby Izenhart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:08 pm

rotoquest wrote:
'NikkiSixx wrote: (especially if we decide to turn this into an actual league, which I hope we do)


Yeah about that idea...I guess it would be low maintenance to set it up. I agree with NO waiver wire moves, but I think there should be a few dl slots for unforeseen incidents...like Izenhart drafting carpenter.


Ya that kinda sucked, but at least it was a late pick and he's replaceable if we do the DL thing.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1611
(Past Year: 286)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville

Re: Draft commentary

Postby Izenhart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 pm

too many people MIA lately without sending lists. PM a short list to someone guys please? Even if it only has 1 player and you say pick for me if this guy isn't there.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1611
(Past Year: 286)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville

Re: Draft commentary

Postby EL BURRO » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 pm

FYI - was really hoping to be almost finished with this draft. I leave the country for a wedding on Thursday night, 2/7 thru Monday, 2/11. Due to my dedication and devotion to you guys, Im going to see this thru, so I will log on and check 1x day until finished--- but if we could speed this up, that would be wonderful.

Thx for making it happen.
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 289
(Past Year: 110)
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles

PreviousNext

Return to 14 Team Slow Mock II

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 15:31 hours
(and 95 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact