Draft commentary - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 14 Team Slow Mock II

Draft commentary

Moderators: TheRock, Izenhart

Re: Draft commentary

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:Also, I wasn't gonna say anything until he was taken... But I would consider CarGo still a member of that "elite" group and I personally wouldn't take a pitcher before him. I would even consider benching him on the road... But CarGo's 81 games at home combined with 81 games from a replacement equals a tier 1 hitter (or even if u stick with CarGo's bad road splits). As long as he plays half his games at coors, he is a gonna put up elite numbers. I'm shocked he fell as far as he did.


He's been too gimpy, doesn't play full seasons, I was still considering him at 9 anyway.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6584
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft commentary

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Also, I wasn't gonna say anything until he was taken... But I would consider CarGo still a member of that "elite" group and I personally wouldn't take a pitcher before him. I would even consider benching him on the road... But CarGo's 81 games at home combined with 81 games from a replacement equals a tier 1 hitter (or even if u stick with CarGo's bad road splits). As long as he plays half his games at coors, he is a gonna put up elite numbers. I'm shocked he fell as far as he did.


He's been too gimpy, doesn't play full seasons, I was still considering him at 9 anyway.


I have him 13th overall despite some missed time. If he played a full season he'd probably be more like 6th.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14141
(Past Year: 426)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Draft commentary

Postby wingman3110 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:49 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:Anybody wanna do a players taken thread? Would help out immensely. If nobody wants to do it I can try but it might not be too up to date since I'm usually working. But like I said I can give it a go if nobody steps up.


There is one. The "Draft Summary" thread.


Wow. Duh. I dont know how I missed that lol.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1547
(Past Year: 122)
Joined: 8 Jun 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft commentary

Postby wingman3110 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Strasburg in the top 20. What's the thought on this? Obviously if healthy for 200 + innings he's a stud, but does he stay healthy for a full season?
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1547
(Past Year: 122)
Joined: 8 Jun 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft commentary

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 am

Sorry boys. I had to work a double two days straight and had no time to be online (unexpectedly, I might add). Sorry for making everyone wait. I'm sure salty will do a great job. ;-D
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1688
(Past Year: 51)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: SAGNOF

Re: Draft commentary

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:16 am

ayebatter wrote:I've projected only 2 guys to be 40+/100+/100+ players this year and with 26 picks before my 3rd pick and I wasn't leaving either one on the table because regardless of any early average drain give me those counting numbers if I only get 2 picks in the first 40+ players drafted.
Yeah, you need to take the guys you want when you're picking at the turn. I like the Bautista pick more than the Grandy pick, but they both do have that upside.

Someone else mentioned pitching in the first couple of rounds, and I have to say I probably wouldn't take a pitcher in the top 24 or whatever under any circumstances this year. It more a philosophy thing I guess, but pitching is plentiful, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to draft a solid staff starting in later rounds.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1688
(Past Year: 51)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: SAGNOF

Re: Draft commentary

Postby ayebatter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 am

Fenris-77 wrote:
ayebatter wrote:I've projected only 2 guys to be 40+/100+/100+ players this year and with 26 picks before my 3rd pick and I wasn't leaving either one on the table because regardless of any early average drain give me those counting numbers if I only get 2 picks in the first 40+ players drafted.
Yeah, you need to take the guys you want when you're picking at the turn. I like the Bautista pick more than the Grandy pick, but they both do have that upside.

Someone else mentioned pitching in the first couple of rounds, and I have to say I probably wouldn't take a pitcher in the top 24 or whatever under any circumstances this year. It more a philosophy thing I guess, but pitching is plentiful, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to draft a solid staff starting in later rounds.


I said I would have drafted Verlander/Kershaw at the turn if they were there, not because of their prowess (which is legendary) but I wanted to see how much I could influence the draft at the 1st turn.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12217
(Past Year: 1284)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: Draft commentary

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:25 am

ayebatter wrote:I said I would have drafted Verlander/Kershaw at the turn if they were there, not because of their prowess (which is legendary) but I wanted to see how much I could influence the draft at the 1st turn.

That's very un-mock-like of you. :-b
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1688
(Past Year: 51)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: SAGNOF

Re: Draft commentary

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 am

ayebatter wrote:I said I would have drafted Verlander/Kershaw at the turn if they were there, not because of their prowess (which is legendary) but I wanted to see how much I could influence the draft at the 1st turn.


I played in a league last year where someone did this and it absolutely "worked". It started a big run on pitching in a 12 team league. Lincecum, Halladay, Cliff Lee and King Felix all came off the board in the early second round after the turn.

I guess its the fine line between making sure you stick to the draft strategy you've laid out all preseason and making sure you adjust to what happens in your draft.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2090
(Past Year: 27)
Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft commentary

Postby Izenhart » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:56 am

CarGo, Bautista, Hamilton and Upton were the three I was eying (eyeing?) at #11 overall - I had a good feeling Upton would make it back to me but wasn't sure about the other three. Almost took CarGo anyway, the reason that talked me out of it was I didn't want my first two picks to be OFs, even though there's nothing wrong with that - the position has a lot of value in the mid rounds (like pitching I guess). Maybe I just have a crush on big ol Kersh ;-7

And FWIW I love the Strasburg pick where he went. I don't think his durability is a huge concern yet and the kid gloves are coming off with him this year.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1611
(Past Year: 286)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville

PreviousNext

Return to 14 Team Slow Mock II

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact