Draft commentary - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 14 Team Slow Mock II

Draft commentary

Moderators: TheRock, Izenhart

Re: Draft commentary

Postby Izenhart » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 pm

The real key point being mid-round picks must be good to fit your specific strategy. Any strategy can work. Some are safer than others, I think his is the safer/ more common one I've seen.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EL BURRO » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:07 pm

Agreed. I've been doing that for years -- but he was the one that really was able to articulate it properly. So, I applaud him. He gets a lot of heat for it, but its a winning strategy and apparently, a lot of people know the site now and follow the same methodology, which means the more popular that gets -- like in gambling, you start to fade it. Zig, when others Zag -- which is a confusing way of saying, there may be some credence to taking SP aces early cause they will be cheaper and more abound! Im confusing myself, but let's say that Strausburg falls to like the 3rd round -- Im pouncing and scrapping my strategy entirely.
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 110)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm

EL BURRO wrote:Agreed. I've been doing that for years -- but he was the one that really was able to articulate it properly. So, I applaud him. He gets a lot of heat for it, but its a winning strategy and apparently, a lot of people know the site now and follow the same methodology, which means the more popular that gets -- like in gambling, you start to fade it. Zig, when others Zag -- which is a confusing way of saying, there may be some credence to taking SP aces early cause they will be cheaper and more abound! Im confusing myself, but let's say that Strausburg falls to like the 3rd round -- Im pouncing and scrapping my strategy entirely.

I know what you mean. Its like those financial magazines like "Money" etc. They always have sections advising on undervalued stocks/cheap picks. I've always thought
how great of a stock pick could it be if Hundreds of thousands of people just read the same "hot tip" to buy cheap.

To me its like that. THe more popular a strategy becomes, the harder it is too execute it. If everyone is reading the same strategy of never paying early for SP, it is harder and harder to pull it off.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby TheRock » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:02 pm

I've been waiting 4 years for Chris Davis to figure out major league pitching. It looks like he might have finally done it. Dude crushed 40 long balls back in 2008 across 3 different levels, this could be a very big year for the 27 year-old.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby EL BURRO » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Kimbos Beard wrote:
EL BURRO wrote:Agreed. I've been doing that for years -- but he was the one that really was able to articulate it properly. So, I applaud him. He gets a lot of heat for it, but its a winning strategy and apparently, a lot of people know the site now and follow the same methodology, which means the more popular that gets -- like in gambling, you start to fade it. Zig, when others Zag -- which is a confusing way of saying, there may be some credence to taking SP aces early cause they will be cheaper and more abound! Im confusing myself, but let's say that Strausburg falls to like the 3rd round -- Im pouncing and scrapping my strategy entirely.

I know what you mean. Its like those financial magazines like "Money" etc. They always have sections advising on undervalued stocks/cheap picks. I've always thought
how great of a stock pick could it be if Hundreds of thousands of people just read the same "hot tip" to buy cheap.

To me its like that. THe more popular a strategy becomes, the harder it is too execute it. If everyone is reading the same strategy of never paying early for SP, it is harder and harder to pull it off.

I hear that -- ive won my hometown 14 team league 3 of the last 4 years using that strategy. Last year, I lost in the semis-- the winning squad had a disgusting offense, but his top 4 arms were Matt Cain, David Price, RA Dickey and Cole Hamels. Not too shabby.. my point is there are all sorts of ways to take home a title.
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rotoquest » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:30 pm

TheRock wrote:I've been waiting 4 years for Chris Davis to figure out major league pitching. It looks like he might have finally done it. Dude crushed 40 long balls back in 2008 across 3 different levels, this could be a very big year for the 27 year-old.

I like that pick Rock. He's got plenty of natural power. It was surprising that he kept a .270 avg last year with a .30+ K-rate.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby EL BURRO » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:30 pm

TheRock wrote:I've been waiting 4 years for Chris Davis to figure out major league pitching. It looks like he might have finally done it. Dude crushed 40 long balls back in 2008 across 3 different levels, this could be a very big year for the 27 year-old.

agreed -- i was hoping he'd slip to me- especially with the 1b/of eligibility. Although I think its 1B/3B - not OF, but dare to dream.. like the pick.
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheRock » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:45 pm

EL BURRO wrote:

agreed -- i was hoping he'd slip to me- especially with the 1b/of eligibility. Although I think its 1B/3B - not OF, but dare to dream.. like the pick.

I believe he came up as a 3B originally through the Rangers system. But Baltimore has been hiding him in right, 1B, and mostly DH. The theory is he'll be the full-time first baseman with the departure of Reynolds.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby EL BURRO » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:43 pm

100% he did. I dont want to tell you how many times I owned him as a Ranger. It was pathetic. He'll probably be on my real "fake" squad - especially if Yahoo grants that OF eligibility. Sneaky - like that a lot. Think he's in store for best season yet.
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:36 pm

I am not a big RP guy, but had to take Mariano, the last "elite" closer. Sure he has some risk, but you cant bet against this guy.

Can you really tell me you have more faith in guys like Fernando Rodney, Chris Perez or John Axford then Mo?
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

PreviousNext

Return to 14 Team Slow Mock II