Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy

Postby holzmacher11934 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Info: 10 team 7X7 Roto league. The pitching categories are Wins, Saves, Holds, K's, Innings Pitched, Earned Runs (counting stat), and WHIP. You get 9 pitching spots. 5 have to be SP and 4 RP. If a pitcher is dual eligible, you can use them in either spot. There is also a rule where you can only get credit for 10 starts. So if you pitch 6 SP's and they all have two starts, 2 won't count. So here are my questions, I would like to hear what everyone has to say.

1) Answer this question: Out of the 70 possible points you could get, you would be happy with BLANK out of 70 at the end of 2013 Season?

2) Pick one or add your own method. How would you go about gaining the most points?

a. Balanced approach: Start 5 SP and 4 RP (2 closers and 2 hold guys)
b. Punt Saves: Start as many SP's and RP's that get starts, then start 2-3 RP's to rack up saves
c. Punt Holds: Start as many SP's and RP's that get starts, then start 2-3 RP's to rack up holds
d. Your own method, please tell.

Thanks for the advice and help, add whatever info you like
holzmacher11934
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy

Postby ayebatter » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:18 pm

I'd be more than satisfied with 50 points from pitching, and I'd look for RPs that qualify as SPs and could get some holds and closers/holds and give up wins/Ks/Innings looking to maximize saves/holds/earned runs/era/whip points.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1300)

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:21 pm

How does the starts limit work? If you have 9 starts going into Sunday, and 2 pitchers starting that day, how do you choose which starts count?

On (1), I can't help much. I'm less systematic than many here are.

On (2), I wouldn't punt saves to start the year. Holds are easier to find on the wire as the season goes on. I'd begin the year heavy on saves (maybe 3 closers, 1 setup man). Then adjust as the season goes on. I'd be willing to go with one sp-eligible reliever, but probably no more.

In general, I don't like punting to start the year in baseball leagues. It's something I'm willing to do midseason, but it limits your options if you start that way and something else goes wrong.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby holzmacher11934 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:18 pm

If you are at 9 starts and you have two more pitchers each with a start left (lets say a guy gets moved up from a Monday to Sunday). You declare to the Commissioner which start you want to count. If you don't, then the worst or the two starts count. Last Season I finished in first place, and I scored 52 points in pitching.

Here is how I scored the 52. Wins-10, IP-9, K's-9, ER-6, WHIP-7, Holds-2, Saves-9.

We keep 6 keepers and to win last year I traded Kemp, Castro (who would have been keepers) to get some pitching and big bats to win. So my keepers this year are David Wright, Prado, and then 4 SP's. David Price, Adam Wainwright, Kris Medlen, RA Dickey.

With all that in mind, I'm thinking if I can repeat what I did last year, 52 points is pretty good. Last year I started off with a balanced approach, buy my hold guys turned into closers and then I just gave up and went for Saves, and punted Holds. That wasn't until June though, and I was thinking if I did that from the start, then maybe I could score 10 in Saves, 1 in Holds which is the same 11, but instead of 9 points in IP and K's, I could score 10. I know my ER's might drop 1-2 points, but my WHIP should still be competitive since I have a good start to pitching. I plan on spending most of my Auction $$ on hittings, but If I can ensure I draft SP's and RP's with low WHIP, RP's that get a lot of K's, and go after another 1 or 2 RP's that start (Alexi Ogando, Josh Collmentor). And then get another 1-2 good SP's (Jordan Zimmerman, Kyle Loshe, Mike Minor all projected under 1.20). I could be ok. Last year, 8 poins in WHIP was 1.2006. With the keepers I have, if I draft smart, I could stay under 1.20 and still go for max starts per week.

What does anyone think?
holzmacher11934
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers