Auction strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction strategy

Postby AtP » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:35 am

OK, auction time is finally coming and I have my keepers set in both leagues. I am the type to usually go for value. In other words I don't keep the best players, I keep the players I am paying the least for that I expect to get the most out of. I like to use a ratio system in determing this. Here are my keepers in each league. We use a 260 salary in each league and have 23 spots to fill (13 hitters and 10 pitchers) We can keep six.

NL:
Marlon Byrd $2
Junior Spivey $3
Edgardo Alfonzo $5
Matt Clement $5
Eric Gagne $4
Scott Williamson $3

AL:
Carl Crawford $2
Ben Grieve $2
Brandon Phillips $2
Roy Halladay $15
CC Sabbathia $3
Cliff Politte $2

I really like my NL team and figure my ratio for return comes back at about 4.7 to 1. Which is the highest of any team in that league. I have the most money going into the auction but a lot of big names were kept (for big money of course). Here is a list of the biggies and their cost.

Albert Pulols 15 (bargain)
Lance Berkman 24 (good but not great)
Robb Nen 35 (too pricey)
Adam Dunn 16
Pat Burrell 21
Rafael Furcal 29 (way high)
Hideo Nomo 16 (way high)
Billy Wagner 29
Kevin Millwood 16 (about right)
Roy Oswalt 15 (bargain)
Mike Lieberthal 11 (high)
Barry Bonds 47 (high)

A few other OFers will be taken in the expansion draft.
Vlad at 44 being the one biggie.

My question is. What sort of strategy should I take. I am thinking of throwing out closers myself early to get the money out. I am hoping to target some top flight pitchers, but not the big guys like Johnson and Schilling who will break my budget. Guys along the lines of Wood and Vazquez. With that strategy I should be able to afford at least two or three of the top hitters. ie...Helton, Green, Abreu, Bagwell, Thome......Does anyone think this will work.

In the AL. I don't like my keepers as well but again I love my ratio on cost. I have my team worth about 3 to 1. Second highest in the league. Almost every SS in the league is gone with the exception of A-Rod. How high should I be willing to go on him. I am thinking in the neighborhood of 50. I also need a solid closer and some power. I feel the AL is going to be a long season for me.

Thanks in advance for the ideas and comments.
AtP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cwebb » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:03 am

Your NL team loks very good, and getting top pitchers should be easy.

Al is a tough task, maybe you should go for guys like Eckstein and let someone else spend 50$ on A-Rod which seems very high even for him.
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers