Keeper Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Advice

Postby bnsd90 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Wanted to start off with saying thanks for any help provided.

League settings: 5x5 (R,RBI,HR,SB, AVG)(K,W,ERA,WHIP,SV/H)-- 18 Keepers-- Start 9+Util & 5 SP/4 RP-- 20 team league--27 roster spots

Okay, the dilemma I am having is trying to figure out my last to keepers, the definite keepers are in bold, and the questionable keepers will be underlined and in italics.

Please let me know who would would select as your 18 or it might be easier to list who you would NOT keep:

C Joe Mauer
1B Prince Fielder, Christian Yelich
2B Ben Zobrist
3B Ryan Zimmerman
SS Elivis Andrus, Jurickson Profar
LF Logan Morrison, Nate McLouth
CF Josh Hamilton, Oscar Taveras, Carlos Gomez
RF Justin Upton

SP Yovani Gallardo, Matt Garza, Derek Holland, Mat Latos, Kyle Kendrick, Danny Duffy, Jeremy Guthrie, Andrew Warner, Hisashi Iwakuma, Dylan Bundy, Jameson Taillon, Carlos Martinez, Taylor Guerrieri

RP- Matt Adams
bnsd90
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Advice

Postby daullaz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:49 am

Gomez is an easy keeper for you. With that amount of depth in the league and 18 keepers per team, he's a no-brainer. He just went with the second pick in the ninth round of the Cafe mock we're doing, for example.

I'd also hang on to Iwakuma, who you haven't listed as a possible keeper. He was excellent after joining the rotation last season, and he'll be a full-time starter this year.

For the last keeper, it's really up to your preference. Morrison has health concerns, McLouth won't be a full-time player, leaving you without a LF. However, with Gomez as a keeper and CFs harder to find, you may be able to trade Gomez for a quality starting LF. That probably leaves you choosing your best prospect, and I'd have to give it to Yelich, at this point. Love CarMar, but Yelich probably has more upside, which is something you want out of a fringe keeper.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby bnsd90 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:14 pm

daullaz wrote:Gomez is an easy keeper for you. With that amount of depth in the league and 18 keepers per team, he's a no-brainer. He just went with the second pick in the ninth round of the Cafe mock we're doing, for example.

I'd also hang on to Iwakuma, who you haven't listed as a possible keeper. He was excellent after joining the rotation last season, and he'll be a full-time starter this year.

So you are thinking that Gomez puts up similar numbers again this year? And in regards to Iwakuma, at 31 years old, you see him putting up a sub 3.3 ERA and a sub 1.25 WHIP again in his 2nd year as a starter?

And thank you for the advice.
bnsd90
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby beisbol4ever94928 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:38 pm

In such a deep league, I think Gomez is a no-brainer. I would also go with Yelich and Morrison, though if you can somehow upgrade Morrison, I would.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=453501
beisbol4ever94928
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Definitely LoMa Gomez and Yelich.
CarMar is buried on your depth chart.
LoMa is a must to have at least SOMETHING in LF. Gomez holds a bit of extra vlaue in your league. Ks aren't terribly penalized and you could start him at utility. At least you'd have a breathing warm body in there that won't kill you most nights.

viewtopic.php?t=453502
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1992)

Postby kidsilk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Gomez for sure and most likely Morrison.

please help

viewtopic.php?t=453487
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1210)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:49 pm

C Joe Mauer ;-D
1B Prince Fielder ;-D , Christian Yelich ;-D
2B Ben Zobrist ;-D
3B Ryan Zimmerman ;-D
SS Elivis Andrus ;-D , Jurickson Profar ;-D
CF Josh Hamilton ;-D , Oscar Taveras ;-D , Carlos Gomez ;-D
RF Justin Upton ;-D

SP Yovani Gallardo ;-D , Matt Garza ;-D , Derek Holland ;-D , Mat Latos ;-D , Kyle Kendrick, Danny Duffy, Jeremy Guthrie, Andrew Warner, Hisashi Iwakuma, Dylan Bundy ;-D , Jameson Taillon ;-D , Carlos Martinez, Taylor Guerrieri ;-D

RP- Matt Adams
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby bnsd90 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:01 pm

MaudDib wrote:C Joe Mauer ;-D
2B Ben Zobrist ;-D
3B Ryan Zimmerman ;-D
SS Elivis Andrus ;-D , Jurickson Profar ;-D
CF Josh Hamilton ;-D , Oscar Taveras ;-D , Carlos Gomez ;-D
RF Justin Upton ;-D

SP Yovani Gallardo ;-D , Matt Garza ;-D , Derek Holland ;-D , Mat Latos ;-D , Kyle Kendrick, Danny Duffy, Jeremy Guthrie, Andrew Warner, Hisashi Iwakuma, Dylan Bundy ;-D , Jameson Taillon ;-D , Carlos Martinez, Taylor Guerrieri ;-D

You are the first person I have heard say to keep Guerrieri over Martinez, Duffy, and/or Morrison, do you mind elaborating on this idea--I just picked up Guerrieri a couple days ago. Thanks to you and everyone else.
bnsd90
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MaudDib » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Call it a hunch but I see him being the next best TB pitcher. With Martinez I feel he his more likely to be a rp than starter. He is small, mechanics aren't great and he doesn't have three pitches. Morrison is a nice OF but he is replaceable. Duffy isn't going to be ready to start the season so he should be easily draftable. Not many owners will want to waste a pick on a guy who will sit on the bench for half the year.

Now maybe you can get Guerrieri just as easily in the draft but I am not as certain in that. He is moving up the prospect ranks and could be taken before any of the three.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby VitoNY » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:05 pm

bnsd90 wrote:Wanted to start off with saying thanks for any help provided.

League settings: 5x5 (R,RBI,HR,SB, AVG)(K,W,ERA,WHIP,SV/H)-- 18 Keepers-- Start 9+Util & 5 SP/4 RP-- 20 team league--27 roster spots

Okay, the dilemma I am having is trying to figure out my last to keepers, the definite keepers are in bold, and the questionable keepers will be underlined and in italics.

Please let me know who would would select as your 18 or it might be easier to list who you would NOT keep:

C Joe Mauer ;-D
2B Ben Zobrist ;-D
3B Ryan Zimmerman ;-D
SS Elivis Andrus, ;-D Jurickson Profar ;-D
CF Josh Hamilton, ;-D Oscar Taveras, ;-D Carlos Gomez ;-D
RF Justin Upton ;-D

SP Yovani Gallardo, ;-D Matt Garza, ;-D Derek Holland, Mat Latos ;-D , Kyle Kendrick, Danny Duffy, Jeremy Guthrie, Andrew Warner, Hisashi Iwakuma, Dylan Bundy, ;-D Jameson Taillon ;-D , Carlos Martinez, Taylor Guerrieri ;-D

RP- Matt Adams

Thats 17 and for 18 I would either do LoMo if you must, but he has been hot trash recently and cannot stay healthy, or I would go Carlos Martinez or Duffy. Either can be in the pen long term but both are gonna get their shot in the rotation. My guess would be Duffy.
VitoNY
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions