Stanton vs Kershaw/Cain - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Stanton vs Kershaw/Cain

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stanton vs Kershaw/Cain

Postby bballislife17 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:07 pm

I'm in a 6x6 (OPS/QS) 12 team keeper league. Keep 8 each year, no limit on years and no cost concerns. Must keep at least 2 pitchers and 2 hitters, typically people keep 6 offense and 2 pitchers.

Current keepers
C - C Santana
1B - Adrian Gonzalez
2B - Jason Kipnis
3B - Chase Headley
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Bryce Harper
OF - (Cespedes coming in a pre-draft trade for picks)

SP - Kershaw
SP - Cain

Rookie slot - Dylan Bundy
Rookie slot - Anthony Rendon

So I have a trade proposal of Kershaw + Cain for Giancarlo Stanton.

This would give me Harper, Trout, and Stanton as a dream OF for a decade. It costs me two of the top pitchers and both are young as well. Since most teams in my league keep 2 pitchers having 2 young ace like pitchers is a big advantage, lots of teams are keeping older or worse pitchers.

Should I give up a great pitching pair for Stanton? That's basically the price in my league for a top offensive player. Braun was traded several years back for Hallady/Lee when they were two of the top five pitchers. Pujols traded for Peavy/Harden about 5 years ago in a similar deal.

My plan would be to try and replace both pitchers in this draft and wait on Bundy. Anyone have thoughts?
bballislife17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stanton vs Kershaw/Cain

Postby SoCal87 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:22 pm

I wouldn't do it, you got two studs at SP, there's no way you'll find replacements in the draft that good.
And I know the thought of having those 3 OF is great but you already got two pretty good ones.
It's much better going into the draft with Kershaw/Cain + Trout/Harper than going into the draft with Trout/Harper/Stanton
SoCal87
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby onitapgr » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:37 am

bballislife17 wrote:I'm in a 6x6 (OPS/QS) 12 team keeper league. Keep 8 each year, no limit on years and no cost concerns. Must keep at least 2 pitchers and 2 hitters, typically people keep 6 offense and 2 pitchers.

Current keepers
C - C Santana
1B - Adrian Gonzalez
2B - Jason Kipnis
3B - Chase Headley
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Bryce Harper
OF - (Cespedes coming in a pre-draft trade for picks)

SP - Kershaw
SP - Cain

Rookie slot - Dylan Bundy
Rookie slot - Anthony Rendon

So I have a trade proposal of Kershaw + Cain for Giancarlo Stanton.

This would give me Harper, Trout, and Stanton as a dream OF for a decade. It costs me two of the top pitchers and both are young as well. Since most teams in my league keep 2 pitchers having 2 young ace like pitchers is a big advantage, lots of teams are keeping older or worse pitchers.

Should I give up a great pitching pair for Stanton? That's basically the price in my league for a top offensive player. Braun was traded several years back for Hallady/Lee when they were two of the top five pitchers. Pujols traded for Peavy/Harden about 5 years ago in a similar deal.

My plan would be to try and replace both pitchers in this draft and wait on Bundy. Anyone have thoughts?

I think I would do it. You won't get a better chance to get Stanton. He is the surest thing for 40 hr's and so young. Draft all SP's with upside with your first 5-6 picks and you'll be fine.
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jtsandwich » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:32 am

I would pass, you have 2 studs and trade opportunities will present themselves throughout the year.
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 104)

Postby daullaz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:52 am

I wouldn't do it. Kershaw has more value than Stanton in a league where two pitchers MUST be kept per team, and you already have a great third OF coming in with Cespedes.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby beisbol4ever94928 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:47 pm

I would stand pat. I love Kershaw and Cain going into the future. I think Stanton is going to struggle this season with his apparent unhappiness in Miami and while he may bounce back in the future, I don't expect him to this year. Towards the end of the year or next offseason his trade value will be better, imo.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=453501
beisbol4ever94928
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Do you have a 3rd starter that is worth keeping?
I was thinking since you have Cespedes coming in, why not go for Stanton by offering Cain and Cespedes and a draft pick?

Just a thought.
If you can get a coutner offer like that done I would get Stanton in a NY second. If he says that is the only deal he'll do just stick with what you got and have a legit shot at a championship.
;-D
viewtopic.php?t=453502
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1961)

Postby kidsilk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:17 pm

I'd keep the two pitchers here. I love Stanton even more than most posters but I couldn't give up two potential Cy Young winners for him.

please help

viewtopic.php?t=453487
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1227)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Agree with the others. If this was Kershaw for Stanton straight up I would still tell you no let alone adding Cain. I do like the idea of offering up Cespedes though. He might not do it but it is worth a try at least.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Element » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:44 am

:-t
Element
General Manager
General Manager