Auction draft software question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Auction draft software question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Auction draft software question

Postby Tommy Tucher » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Wow, great idea. I can certainly appreciate the idea of the person who throws out a player being in charge for that particular player. Another helping suggestion!! ;-D
Tommy Tucher
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction draft software question Draft Order

Postby Rockland Don » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:26 am

Heres a twist that we have used in our league since its beginning in 1981. Each February we hold an Owners Winter Meeting where we discuss rule changes and other ways to improve the league. However, the big draw is setting the auction order. Our league does NOT allow random proposals from owners. Instead, at the February meeting we pick the names of the 30 MLB teams out of a hat and at the draft the auctioneer calls out the names of the entire team based upon the order selected in February. This is comparable to a traditional auction where participants have a catalog and know who and when items or in our case players are coming up for me. We have been reluctant to go to a player nomination process and part of the strategy is deciding when you start bidding. May not be right for everyone, but has worked very well for the past 32 years.

Don[list=][/list]
Rockland Don
T-Ball Trainer

Postby TopChuckie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Tommy Tucher wrote:Wow, great idea. I can certainly appreciate the idea of the person who throws out a player being in charge for that particular player. Another helping suggestion!! ;-D

The problem I see with that is too often the nominating owner will also have interest in the player, and the auctioneer should never also be bidding for a player. I think it would make for some very inconsistent "Going once, going twice, sold!" calls and ruffle some feathers. My opinion is the auctioneer should have no interest in the player, better yet if you can get someone who is not even in the league to be your auctioneer.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 pm

TopChuckie wrote:
Tommy Tucher wrote:Wow, great idea. I can certainly appreciate the idea of the person who throws out a player being in charge for that particular player. Another helping suggestion!! ;-D

The problem I see with that is too often the nominating owner will also have interest in the player, and the auctioneer should never also be bidding for a player. I think it would make for some very inconsistent "Going once, going twice, sold!" calls and ruffle some feathers. My opinion is the auctioneer should have no interest in the player, better yet if you can get someone who is not even in the league to be your auctioneer.

The above is the same thing that crossed my mind. The auctioneer should not be bidding on a player.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Tommy Tucher » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:14 pm

The previous 2 posts certainly make a legit point. As with any idea I've read here, I plan on running the idea past all the league members and taking a vote. Having an owner who nominates a player then runs the auction for that player would simplify things, but the conflict of interest certainly could/will happen. I think the other owners could/will certainly police the situation. In the end, whether the auction is ran by each owner who nominates a player or by myself as the commish, there is always going to be a conflict of interest. Unless an auctioneer is hired, of course. In my experience, finding an competent auctioneer isn't easy. Even when every owner popped in $10 each plus tips (usually beer), the auctioneer spent more time being everyone's friend rather than being impartial. I'm leaning towards just running it myself and having the owners police me.
Tommy Tucher
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 pm

As I said before, having someone that is not bidding on the player being the auctioneer solves any conflict of interest problem and spreads the workload among everyone. If you are doing all of it, you won't have time to concentrate on the players you are going to bid on.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TopChuckie » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:27 am

bigmck wrote:As I said before, having someone that is not bidding on the player being the auctioneer solves any conflict of interest problem and spreads the workload among everyone. If you are doing all of it, you won't have time to concentrate on the players you are going to bid on.

Right, when we don't have a non-league member to auctioneer for us, we just urge all owners to jump in as auctioneer when the bidding slows on a player they have no interest in. We've never had a problem.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Tommy Tucher » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:26 am

I ran the idea of a non-bidder being the auctioneer to 2 of the league members today. Both were uncomfortable with the idea. They didn't say so, but their lack of response and being very quiet for a couple minutes definitely let me know how they felt about the idea. But after a few, and having time to process the idea, they started to get ideas of how to assist with moving the draft. One mentioned that every owner know who they will call out when it is their turn to nominate a player. Which was an idea mentioned here. The other person is a new member and she mentioned that new members having an opportunity to help with the process will make them feel more ownership in the league. And now that the idea that all owners can contribute to the process is out there, and once I let all the league members in on the idea, they'll get used to it. Another good lesson. Let league members know early about new rules so they can get used to it on their own time. And then they can be more involved in shortening the draft.

There have been great ideas that have kept coming in. Anything else you can think of would be great. I'm finding that the more ideas I hear, the better the responses get and help hash things out. Any more ideas?
Tommy Tucher
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Tommy Tucher wrote:I ran the idea of a non-bidder being the auctioneer to 2 of the league members today. Both were uncomfortable with the idea. They didn't say so, but their lack of response and being very quiet for a couple minutes definitely let me know how they felt about the idea....

How could this possibly be a bad idea? All the auctioneer does is say "Going once, going twice, sold".
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tommy Tucher » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:49 pm

It's definitely not a bad idea. It's just new and people need time to adjust to different things. Even if it takes just a few minutes. And once the 2 people I mentioned had a little time to think about it, they quickly came around. I have to admit, when I first read the idea of the 'random' draft method, it gave me pause. But I thought about it and realized it could work. I just had to twist it through my brain a little. I think the other people in the league might have an initial problem with the draft rules, but with time they'll come around.

Keep the ideas coming if something pops up.
Tommy Tucher
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner