closer trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

closer trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

closer trade

Postby Surfs up » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 am

I have Casey Janssen for 1.00. Another owner has Jim Johnson for 11.00. I made him an offer that he refused with a different player involved. He said he would take Janssen but needs something else to go with it. I have the 15th pick in a draft we do for whats ever left and minor league picks. The main draft is an auction draft.
This is an AL only. 8 player keeper with a 260.00 cap. Standard 5x5 scoring.
Word I'm reading is Janssen will have to earn the job. The Jays traded for Sergio Santos and he most likely will get the job back .
I realize Johnson at 11.00 might seem high some of you but this league over pays for players. Looking at projections of what players are going for I know there is no way many of the players in my league go that low. Felix and Verlander each went for 35.00 to give you an example.
Thoughts ?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: closer trade

Postby plamb23 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 am

Closers is tricky business...

I like Janssen here. I am not sold on JJs skill and ability to continue his '12 run with his pitching ability.

That said, the Orioles seem to have many many more SV opps than the Jays do. I had both closers last year and saw that first hand.

I like the value of keeping Janssen for 1
plamb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 275)

Postby Element » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:22 pm

I am with you when it comes to the Janssen/Santos situation. If I had to make a decision today I would want no part of it. I am not sold on Johnson either, but I would certainly prefer him at $11 to Janssen regardless of price. It would completely depend on what else the other owner would demand in combination with Janssen. I would not give up too much more.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Definitely prefer Jansen here.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Postby daullaz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:41 am

I wouldn't do the trade. Johnson has very mediocre peripherals for a guy who emerged as the saves leader last year. He struck out just 5.7 per 9 in 2011 and actually decreased that in his breakout 2012, striking out 5.4 per 9. That screams the profile of a guy who won't be closing very long. If you're looking to upgrade at closer by trading Janssen plus something else, I'd target someone other than Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Day closing by mid-season for the Orioles.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:40 pm

I am ok with it as long as it isn't too much more. No way to know which closers will still be the closers when the season is over so don't trade too much before the season.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:29 pm

daullaz wrote:I wouldn't do the trade. Johnson has very mediocre peripherals for a guy who emerged as the saves leader last year. He struck out just 5.7 per 9 in 2011 and actually decreased that in his breakout 2012, striking out 5.4 per 9. That screams the profile of a guy who won't be closing very long. If you're looking to upgrade at closer by trading Janssen plus something else, I'd target someone other than Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Day closing by mid-season for the Orioles.

This. Johnsons' periphs scream of someone who has a serious chance of being a closing "one hit wonder". If you are going to add 10 bucks of salary and give up a draft pick and Casey Janssen I would look for something a little different.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby OBPlover » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Jim Johnson is the guy you want.

Casey Janssen = too much risk.

1) Off season surgery - check!
2) Competition for job - Check!

CJ does have better peripherals than JJ but JJ's peripherals aren't as bad as people are making them out. JJ's Hr/9 was excellent last year. There's more to life than strikeouts.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby daullaz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:10 pm

OBPlover wrote:Jim Johnson is the guy you want.

CJ does have better peripherals than JJ but JJ's peripherals aren't as bad as people are making them out. JJ's Hr/9 was excellent last year. There's more to life than strikeouts.

The list of relievers that can survive long-term with a K/9 that low can be counted on one hand, a hand that might not even need any fingers.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby OBPlover » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 pm

daullaz wrote:
OBPlover wrote:Jim Johnson is the guy you want.

The list of relievers that can survive long-term with a K/9 that low can be counted on one hand, a hand that might not even need any fingers.

The list of relief pitchers who racked up 20+ saves without ever having the closers job is even smaller.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions