How to find more owners? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How to find more owners?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to find more owners?

Postby Kasmir » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Ok I've ran into a problem finding owners for my new 30 team h2h league. It's completely free and I've had a lot of people interested but quickly quit. I've been advised by many fantasy baseball pros and they told me I had many good ideas and the league was going to be ran like a well oiled machine, but I just can't find any people that want to be part of an inagural first year fantasy league. I was hoping I could get advise from some of you guys that have much experience running leagues that you could loan me some good tips on finding dedicated owners and running a good league. I also face the problem of the baseball season quickly coming upon us and that I still need like 15 owners and have the free agency on proboards. Please and thank you for your help and email, pm, or reply claytonmeder1234@yahoo.com

Respectfully,
Clayton M.
Kasmir
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to find more owners?

Postby GRIN » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:20 am

Maybe 30 is ambitious for year 1. You could start with a lesser number and expand in later years. Just make sure the rules around possible expansion are clear if it's a keeper league (i.e. if expansion then less keepers will be kept, new owners placed at top of draft order).
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 19)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 am

Trying to get a fantasy league with 30 owners is just not realistic. Especially if you want to have a good league. To start, I have never heard of a league with 30 teams. Secondly, even if you found 30 people to agree I doubt more than 10 would turn out to be good owners.

From my own experience it has taken the keeper league I play in almost 5 years to develop into a 12 team league where all twelve of the owners are good. In fact thats not even 100% accurate as I believe we are replacing one of the owners this year because he no longer is interested. The point is what's the purpose of having a 30 team league if 21 of the owners don't care and don't pay attention.

My advice would be to start and build slow. Set your sights on a 10 or 12 team league. Let it grow organically. If your league is as good and competitive as you believe it will be, it will grow naturally year over year.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby bigmck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:13 pm

30 is too many. You don't want to have players on your team that hardly ever play in a game. That is no fun.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby Kasmir » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Ok so what happens to the players that were on teams that I get rid of like if I got rid of the tigers what would happen to players like Prince fielder and verlander? And then the prospects?
Kasmir
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby fast dogs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 pm

where are you advertising the league? what site are you going to use to run the stats? It is early yet as none of the sites have the 2013 game running yet. Many new owners haven't even started looking for teams yet. 1 possibility would be to have each owner have 1 AL team & 1 NL team perhaps.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby StoneColdBrown » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:33 pm

I think there are three things, two of which have been stated above. Give it time, start small, and keep it simple.

The simpler a league is - or more accurately stated, the more you tailor it to the largest possible group of owners - the more success you'll have finding owners. It's fun to use Cot's contracts and have different things, but such innovations (relatively speaking) can drain the pool of possible owners.
StoneColdBrown
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby fsbarren » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:00 pm

I've run a 20-team league and we're in our fifth year. I'd say we have a core of about 13-16 owners that are reliable to come back and about 10-14 that are truly active from start to finish.

The problem is, once you're out of contention (top 3, top 5, maybe top 10), it's hard to put in as much time, especially if you have other leagues where you are more competitive. If you're sitting in 15-30th place, are you really going to stay active.

It'll take a couple of years of building up the league and bringing in a 1-2 new "keeper" owners, but the product has to be worth it as well.

My league is a 28 category league and since there are some stats that contradict each other, you just can't approach your strategy the same way you would most other leagues and a lot of owners that do well in other league don't in this one and they find that a challenge the first few seasons. That's a selling point. We also have a chat box with some members putting in a of funny/inflammatory/thoughtful information (drama always sells and seeing an active league does too). Most importantly, we have a three-commish system with clearly stated rules and procedures to make sure that everyone understands fairness is number one.

Still, with all of that (and some other stuff we do during the season), it will take a couple of years to really build up a solid league...and that's with 20.

I just think #15-#30 will check out early and you'll end up with maybe 10-13 active players out of 30, which can be discouraging itself. No one wants to put already limited time into a league when they're trying to jump from #24 to #18.

Start with 20 and see from there. I've got other tips and ideas if you're interested.

Good luck...
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 192)

Postby NBH » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:04 pm

I also think 30 owners is way too ambitions. For starters, fantasy is at least 50% luck and injuries. With 30 teams there is virtually 0% likelihood that someone can shrug off one or more injuries to their stars and successfully compete. You're also playing with some extremely deep rosters - the deeper you get, the less skill is involved and the more luck is involved because you're simply fishing for bodies that are on the field to get you counting stats. There's no sense in analyzing call-ups or waiver wire players because there won't be a waiver wire - all the players will be on rosters. All you can do to improve your team is make trades. 12 to 16 teams is fun because the teams don't look like All-Star teams (like a 10 team mixed league with only 3OF) but there are players available via free agency and you're not forced to use terrible players simply because they are on the field.

Fantasy also depends on everyone showing up to the draft (live or virtual), setting their lineups, selecting their keepers, paying their dues. Good luck finding 30 people committed to doing that.You can't get 30 people to agree on anything! I can only see a 30 team league working if it's extremely simple (e.g. a 1x1 league - HRs and Ks) and you recruit coworkers, students in your classes, fraternity brothers, etc. - people you know and see regularly who can be "shamed" into fulfilling their obligations.
NBH
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Eric21ND » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:03 am

I never heard of a 30 team league before. Yahoo is the most popular fantasy site and the max number of teams is 20. I'm running a couple 20 team leagues this season. I would suggest starting with a 18-20 team league first and/or rolling your league into a more established league.
Eric21ND
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner