Mariners Acquire Morse - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariners Acquire Morse

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mariners Acquire Morse

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:55 am

Seems like it was basically a knee jerk reaction Plan B to Upton rejecting their trade. It doesn't make sense for their roster and it doens't make sense to acquire a guy on a his walk year for a team that realistically wont be competing.

As a Morse owner in a keeper league, this was a pretty disappointing trade especially considering the rumors around teams like the Yanks checking in on Morse.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:12 am

Izenhart wrote:
americanleagueroto wrote:As a Mariner fan I am interested to see what the next move will be.

Sign a catcher is an obvious. Is there another trade in the works to clear out our jam of corner players? We'll see.

Dave ;-D

Maybe Montero becomes a full time C

They should just have him play first. He is a terrible catcher. Keeping him at catcher will do more harm than good to his development.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Ender » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:24 am

They will likely try to limp along until Zunino is ready to come up which is probably mid season. In fact this trade makes him a good sleeper target as he has instantly hit at every level.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Izenhart » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Ender wrote:They will likely try to limp along until Zunino is ready to come up which is probably mid season. In fact this trade makes him a good sleeper target as he has instantly hit at every level.

There's a guy I had no idea about. If he gets any AB's in spring training I'm gonna watch them if I can. Whatever plan B they have for first base I hope goes into effect sooner rather than later.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

Postby Huff'sThong » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm definitely targeting Zunino in my dynasty league draft. He hasn't gotten much hype yet, so I think he'll be pretty easy to get. Unfortunately, I also have Morse and Jesus Montero on that same team ... Morse will be worse in Seattle, and Montero looks like his time at catcher is gonna end soon

If you want to check your own predictions, and see how they translate into fantasy value, check out this iPhone app i made http://www.FanValueApp.com It uses a variation on the "fantasy value above replacement" from FanGraphs. Let me know what you think
Please check out my fantasy baseball iPhone app: FanValue, at http://fanvalueapp.com/
Enter in predictions or real player stats, and calculate the player's fantasy value
Huff'sThong
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kab21 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 am

I'm not sure if anyone actually realizes this but they got Morse for Jaso. I think that trade is a pretty good one even if it displaces a bunch of fairly horrible baseball players. I'm really at a loss why everyone is concerned about the Carp, Smoak, Bay, Ibanez and anyone else losing PT to Morse.

If it was me then I would have just taken the Nats out of the deal and took the A's prospects even if they are pitchers. Everybody needs pitching and at some point you can trade them for someone that won't be a FA in a year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 173)

Postby jeffmerk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:10 am

kab21 wrote:I'm not sure if anyone actually realizes this but they got Morse for Jaso. I think that trade is a pretty good one even if it displaces a bunch of fairly horrible baseball players. I'm really at a loss why everyone is concerned about the Carp, Smoak, Bay, Ibanez and anyone else losing PT to Morse.

If it was me then I would have just taken the Nats out of the deal and took the A's prospects even if they are pitchers. Everybody needs pitching and at some point you can trade them for someone that won't be a FA in a year.

I agree that with Zunino nearly ready, Morse for Jaso is a pretty good trade. Who cares if Ibanez and Bay platoon in left and Smoak and Carp start the year in the minors?
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 90)

Postby Ender » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 pm

I think people are just overrating Morse. He is a poor defensive OF and a poor baserunner which eats at his value, he is 31 years old and on the last year of his contract. He has been a league average or better player exactly 1 year. Jaso for Morse is probably a pretty even trade but given where the Mariners are as a team a trade of Jaso for the prospects the A's gave up would have been a much better deal. I don't expect the Mariners to compete this year and I don't expect Morse to put up a full win more value than what they already had.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 am

Ender wrote:I think people are just overrating Morse. He is a poor defensive OF and a poor baserunner which eats at his value, he is 31 years old and on the last year of his contract. He has been a league average or better player exactly 1 year. Jaso for Morse is probably a pretty even trade but given where the Mariners are as a team a trade of Jaso for the prospects the A's gave up would have been a much better deal. I don't expect the Mariners to compete this year and I don't expect Morse to put up a full win more value than what they already had.

That is what I said...

My main disagreement came from this idea that the M's got ripped off and how Morse was going to block these good players that they (don't) have. The A's are the only ones that can complain in this trade because they are the team that ended up with Jaso.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 173)

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:29 am

The A's can't complain because Jaso is as good or better of a player than Morse is, Jaso is as good as Morse's upside more or less. I mean the A's would MUCH MUCH rather have Jaso than Morse, it isn't even close. Morse wouldn't start on the A's and would be probably their 5th best OF. If you look at this deal from lifetime WAR received in the trade the Mariners got the worst end of the deal almost for sure. They also got a player that is barely an upgrade over what they already had and they got him for just 1 year in a year that they can't hope to compete. This deal is just stupid for the Mariners.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers