rsoriano to the natls - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

rsoriano to the natls

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: rsoriano to the natls

Postby kab21 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:03 am

Skin Blues wrote:Right, but other RPs also have that benefit. Another benefit of looking at xFIP/SIERA is that they stabilize much faster than ERA. Of course at this point there's not much else left to help their team. If they had this cash the whole time they had the entire offseason to find a better way to use it. Like adding all of Uehara, Adams and keeping Burnett whose combined 2013 salaries are the same as Soriano's. Or any other combination of moves that makes them significantly better than just adding Soriano. Uehara alone is probably more valuable than Soriano for this season.

No, when xFIP is an entire run better for an entire career it is completely worthless to use it to rank a pitcher regardless of how fast it normalizes. I agree that it's an overpay when compared to the other RP'ers this offseason but their entire roster is pretty much locked in for 2013 and 2014. Morse and Haren are the only significant FA's. At the end of the day this is about saving Boras's butt. They keep him happy since he represents several of their big name players.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 am

kab21 wrote:At the end of the day this is about saving Boras's butt. They keep him happy since he represents several of their big name players.

I don't believe this for a second.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby jonboy418 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:47 am

I'm not sure how this plays out, but Soriano has to be the closer now, right? I mean he's making $14 per year!
Storen has never really been a mid-relief guy and I'm not sure how this works out now.
Clippard seems to be the one most affected by this. He really fell off last year in the final month of the season. Does Nat's Front Office see something they didn't like that made them overpay for Soriano? My inclination says yes and Clippard is now expendable.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby Montana168 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 am

jonboy418 wrote:I'm not sure how this plays out, but Soriano has to be the closer now, right? I mean he's making $14 per year!
Storen has never really been a mid-relief guy and I'm not sure how this works out now.
Clippard seems to be the one most affected by this. He really fell off last year in the final month of the season. Does Nat's Front Office see something they didn't like that made them overpay for Soriano? My inclination says yes and Clippard is now expendable.

After reading some news blurbs and opinions from various boards, it appears the hierarchy is likely to be Soriano in the 9th, Clippard in the 8th, and Storen in the 7th; and I fully agree with that hierarchy.

Soriano is simply being paid way too much (including that 1st rounder and draft pool money), to simply be a set up man. He will be the Nats closer coming into Spring Training. Clippard was an all-star in the 8th inning role, I think all signs point to him being there over Storen (when both are available that day). Storen is still young. He is still likely the closer of the future after Soriano is gone in 2-3 years; however, keep in mind that Storen was nearly swapped for Denard Span last year, but the deal fell through, which means that management is not nearly as high on him as fantasy owners may be.

With that being said, injuries could certainly change the landscape. Also, nothing guarantees that Soriano won't suddenly become ineffective for whatever reason. But as of right now, I would prepare my drafts and rankings by the aforementioned hierarchy barring an announcement to the contrary by the Nats.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:57 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
kab21 wrote:At the end of the day this is about saving Boras's butt. They keep him happy since he represents several of their big name players.

I don't either. This is about paying for a player that can help a team that is on the world series nexus. The value of each win added to a roster like this is way more than the value for most teams. They deferred money so no single season would bear too much of the price. Remember this is how baseball works. You almost always pay more per win from a FA than you can hope to get in return. That is why high payroll teams never do well in wins vs payroll comparisons.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 am

Ender wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

I don't either. This is about paying for a player that can help a team that is on the world series nexus. The value of each win added to a roster like this is way more than the value for most teams. They deferred money so no single season would bear too much of the price. Remember this is how baseball works. You almost always pay more per win from a FA than you can hope to get in return. That is why high payroll teams never do well in wins vs payroll comparisons.

Still does anyone think Soriano is the missing piece of the puzzle? They one player that puts them in the playoffs? It is a minimal improvement at best. Besides I don't see the Nats as having a small window. They are setup nicely for a few years. No problem adding Soriano; he makes the team better. I just see it as a huge overpay. You overpay when you have a need or competition to sign a guy, I don't see either here.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 am

They had the money to spend and they didn't have a lot of areas they could improve.

They are absolutely set at every position except 2B which doesn't have any external candidates worth signing really. They have a somewhat deep bench. They are set with a deep rotation. Bullpen depth was one of the few areas they could plausibly improve.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby daullaz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Ender wrote:They had the money to spend and they didn't have a lot of areas they could improve.

However, it could be smarter to keep the money that you have to spend and earmark it for a midseason acquisition. It allows you to grab a guy that a team with a contract a team just wants to get rid of without giving up a high-level prospect (certainly no one on the first-round level of that pick). It also allows you the flexibility to address a particular position if a key guy goes down with a long-term injury or someone is in a horrendous slump.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Yeah, or ya know, spend it before there was only one option left. They still have Zach Duke, Henry Rodriguez and Craig Stammen projected to be in the 'pen, right? Along with Christian Martinez, a 27 year old with 12 IP in the majors, and Ryan Mattheus who is 28 and has never posted an above-replacement level season in the majors. Sure woulda been nice to keep their only decent lefty reliever for 2 yrs/$8M and still be able to add a couple of ace RHPs in Koji Uehara and/or Mike Adams. And the fact that the Angels have such a weakened rotation and still didn't want a one year commitment with Dan Haren for only $12M means the Nats could probably have spent money on a better/healthier SP. Say what you want about the marginal value of a win when you get up around 90 wins, this is a terrible allocation of funds and was certainly not the only way they could have spent it.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:59 am

daullaz wrote:
Ender wrote:They had the money to spend and they didn't have a lot of areas they could improve.

However, it could be smarter to keep the money that you have to spend and earmark it for a midseason acquisition. It allows you to grab a guy that a team with a contract a team just wants to get rid of without giving up a high-level prospect (certainly no one on the first-round level of that pick). It also allows you the flexibility to address a particular position if a key guy goes down with a long-term injury or someone is in a horrendous slump.

I would agree with this point. Apparently though, it turns out that they are only paying Soriano $7 million this year and next and deferring the rest. With the trade of Morse, who was going to make about $6.75 million, I guess for this year, the money is a wash and they are really not in any different position financially then before the Soriano signing.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers