Do I have much value for keepers?--Pick 6 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Do I have much value for keepers?--Pick 6

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do I have much value for keepers?--Pick 6

Postby segerfan83 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 am

12 Team ESPN Roto 7x7 (OBP, SLG, K/BB, and HD). We keep 6 players. No other keeper rules. Which 6 are you keeping? Please offer up some explanation if you feel like some may be needed. The players with an asterisk next to their name are players that I view as my keepers. Also, I traded Cutch for Papelbon, Dickey, and C.J. Wilson to make a run for the title...Didn't work and now it's a bit of a regret. How bad of a trade was this?

Miguel Montero, Ari C
Joey Votto, Cin 1B*
Dan Uggla, Atl 2B
Martin Prado, Atl 3B, 2B, SS, OF
Manny Machado, Bal SS, 3B
Mark Trumbo, LAA 1B, OF, DH
Josh Hamilton, LAA OF, DH*
Andre Ethier, LAD OF
Austin Jackson, Det OF*
Michael Young, Phi 1B, 2B, 3B, DH
Derek Jeter, NYY SS, DH
J.J. Hardy, Bal SS
Felix Hernandez, Sea SP*
Madison Bumgarner, SF SP*
Sergio Romo, SF RP
Matt Thornton, CWS RP
Vinnie Pestano, Cle RP
Fernando Rodney, TB RP
Jonathan Papelbon, Phi RP
R.A. Dickey, Tor SP*
Doug Fister, Det SP
Mat Latos, Cin SP
C.J. Wilson, LAA SP
Mariano Rivera, NYY RP
Carl Crawford, LAD OF
Michael Cuddyer, Col 1B, OF
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Do I have much value for keepers?--Pick 6

Postby kaiser » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:15 am

segerfan83 wrote:12 Team ESPN Roto 7x7 (OBP, SLG, K/BB, and HD). We keep 6 players. No other keeper rules. Which 6 are you keeping? Please offer up some explanation if you feel like some may be needed. The players with an asterisk next to their name are players that I view as my keepers. Also, I traded Cutch for Papelbon, Dickey, and C.J. Wilson to make a run for the title...Didn't work and now it's a bit of a regret. How bad of a trade was this?

Miguel Montero, Ari C
Joey Votto, Cin 1B* ;-D
Dan Uggla, Atl 2B
Martin Prado, Atl 3B, 2B, SS, OF
Manny Machado, Bal SS, 3B
Mark Trumbo, LAA 1B, OF, DH
Josh Hamilton, LAA OF, DH* ;-D
Andre Ethier, LAD OF
Austin Jackson, Det OF* ;-D
Michael Young, Phi 1B, 2B, 3B, DH
Derek Jeter, NYY SS, DH
J.J. Hardy, Bal SS
Felix Hernandez, Sea SP* ;-D
Madison Bumgarner, SF SP* ;-D
Sergio Romo, SF RP
Matt Thornton, CWS RP
Vinnie Pestano, Cle RP
Fernando Rodney, TB RP
Jonathan Papelbon, Phi RP
R.A. Dickey, Tor SP* ;-D
Doug Fister, Det SP
Mat Latos, Cin SP
C.J. Wilson, LAA SP
Mariano Rivera, NYY RP
Carl Crawford, LAD OF
Michael Cuddyer, Col 1B, OF

You've got it right. Prado is worth a look, if you didn't already have six "no question" keepers.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)

Postby segerfan83 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 am

These seem like obvious keepers, but should I try to hang on to some youth for the future? That is my main concern. Also, how much value do Hamilton and Dickey have, say in 3 years? Those are my main concerns.
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kaiser » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:27 am

Hamilton and Dickey will not have a great deal of value in three seasons, but you don't have a lot of youth to pick from now, anyway. Trumbo and Muchado are the only ones worth looking at.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby segerfan83 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:29 am

What kind of value should I get if I trade one or both of those players? Would you trade those players?
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jonboy418 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 am

I don't know if he has six "no-brainer" keepers. I'm not too excited about RA Dickey. 38-year old having a career year with an abnormal high strikeout rate (thus high K/BB) moving to Toronto and the AL East. I think there is some major regression coming. I would expect something more in line with his 2011 numbers than 2012.

I'm interested in Mark Trumbo. I know his OBP isn't fantastic, but he is one of the top sluggers and at 26, he could be in line for some growth. It's a risky keeper option, but might be worth it 2-3 years from now.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:37 am

I agree with the 6 although I would consider keeping Latos over Dickey. I am somewhat worried about his transition to the AL East and added to that is I don't think he will repeat what he did last year. Latos will have more value than Dickey in three years if that is something you are worried about.

Have you tried to make a trade that involves Hamilton and Dickey? Maybe try and go for some of the younger talent like Lawrie, Kipnis or Upton. That might be a little of an overpay but could work out for you in the end and likely you will have to pay more to get one of those guys. This would also allow you to keep Machado if you wanted.

Of course this is if you want to rebuild your team. Sticking with those 6 (with Latos or Dickey) will give you the best team for this year which is what I would do.

As for the McCutchen trade, you can second guess it all you want but you tried to make a run at it and it didn't work. Oh well. I think it is worse when a team is too afraid to trade because they are worried about what that player might be a year or two down the road. You should be in it to win now and worry about next year when it comes.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 281)

Postby segerfan83 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have inquired about Stanton, Kemp, Harper, Miggy, Cutch, and Goldschmidt, but no one is willing to deal.
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kaiser » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 pm

segerfan83 wrote:I have inquired about Stanton, Kemp, Harper, Miggy, Cutch, and Goldschmidt, but no one is willing to deal.

One of these things is not like the other... one of these things just isn't the same

Can you guess which one is not like the other? Tell me now before my songs is done...

And now my song is done.

kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby segerfan83 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:39 pm

kaiser wrote:
segerfan83 wrote:I have inquired about Stanton, Kemp, Harper, Miggy, Cutch, and Goldschmidt, but no one is willing to deal.

One of these things is not like the other... one of these things just isn't the same

Can you guess which one is not like the other? Tell me now before my songs is done...

And now my song is done.

Well I think it's obvious I wasn't going to offer the same value for Pauly that I would the others, but I think he is definitely worth owning.
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions