Kipnis 5 for Beltre 33? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Kipnis 5 for Beltre 33?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kipnis 5 for Beltre 33?

Postby colt4523 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Another day another keeper question. Thinking about sending this offer. 12 H2H AL only auction (6x6) $260 cap. The team with beltre has to cut payroll big time. He picked up all the high prices players to make a playoff run towards the end of the year. He has plouffe and keppinger who are both cheap and qualify at 3b. We keep 8. My definite keepers are:
Kipnis 5
Trout 5
Moore5 5
Astrubal 19
Hunter 16
Reed 14
butler 28

total 92

Would you do the trade? I would still need one more keeper which might be pedroia but as I have stated in my other questions he is $44 and adding beltre for $33 would greatly increase my payroll. Should I send the deals? As I mentioned before, there should be some big names in the draft. Probably pujols, fielder, and JV.

WHIR
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kipnis 5 for Beltre 33?

Postby Brainstorm » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:48 pm

At that price, I'd prefer to keep Kipnis, even though I like Beltre more as a player.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:43 am

colt4523 wrote:Another day another keeper question. Thinking about sending this offer. 12 H2H AL only auction (6x6) $260 cap. The team with beltre has to cut payroll big time. He picked up all the high prices players to make a playoff run towards the end of the year. He has plouffe and keppinger who are both cheap and qualify at 3b. We keep 8. My definite keepers are:
Kipnis 5
Trout 5
Moore5 5
Astrubal 19
Hunter 16
Reed 14
butler 28

total 92

Would you do the trade? I would still need one more keeper which might be pedroia but as I have stated in my other questions he is $44 and adding beltre for $33 would greatly increase my payroll. Should I send the deals? As I mentioned before, there should be some big names in the draft. Probably pujols, fielder, and JV.

WHIR

AL Only I know is tough, but Torii Hunter at 16? He had a nice year, but is 37 going on 38. No way I keep him unless there is just no one else. He is due to fall off in the next couple of years.

I would get Beltre as you can afford the salary hit. I would look to deal Asdrubal Cabrera and Hunter for an upgrade if possible and then go with a cheap player as your last keeper.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 784)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:15 am

Stay put. I like Kipnis and Pedroia more than I like just Beltre. The dollar values are different of course but you have the salary room to Pedroia so you might as well have two solid hitter rather than just one.

I would also question keeping Hunter. There has to be someone cheap that would be a better bet than Hunter will be next year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby colt4523 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:03 am

I have zero cheap players left on my roster unless I keep a middle reliever. Traded all of them away to acquire what I have now. I traded most my young talent for Trout (reddick, moose, escobar, profar and bundy). Hunter is actually a pretty decent deal in my league. Crisp, swisher, and Markakis are a couple dollars more (just to give you some perspective). I could probably package him with someone but I doubt I can get a better cheaper keeper. I will start throwing offers out.

I don't think trading Astrubal will be a good idea since that will just leave me with another hole in the infield. Astrubal is probably ranked 4th for AL shortstops and is a good deal at 19 (jeter is 25, zobrist 29 and Andrus is 35). We have a $2 inflation for keepers and this is our 3rd year.

Thanks for the input guys.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kimbos Beard » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 am

I wouldn't do the trade right now. I don't like the big salary cap hit you take. As we discussed in your other thread I think I would keep Pedroia and Kipnis heading into the draft. I definitely believe Kipnis at $5 in a 12 team AL only league is going to be a huge trade chip, so I would hold out for the right move. After the draft you will be able to see what your strengths and weaknesses are and trade accordingly.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Element » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:45 pm

The great thing about having Kipnis at $5 is that you should feel no desire to move him before your keepers are due ... even if it means he rides pine to start the season (don't remember if you have a MI slot or not). If he needs to dump payroll then offer up Reed or Rivera first. If you land Beltre then you could dump Pedroia and have the flexibility at your draft.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 762)

Postby prguy1979 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Id keep Kipnis at that price beltre is great however why dont you try trading someone other than your current keepers for him im sure you have a low price sleeper you can dangle for beltre being that the team that has him has plouffe and keppinger
16 team mix BA R RBI BB SB SLG ERA W K HD S Whip
C /Castro
1/3/CI Donaldson/Wright/Votto
2/SS/MI
OF Jones/Brantly/Trout
DH
P Sale/Wanwrigth/Wheeler
prguy1979
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jtsandwich » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Nope, keep Kipnis. More value and $$ for the rest of your Auction. I also would not keep Asbrubal. One great year 2 years ago, I thin his value is $11 tops.
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 104)

Postby colt4523 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:43 am

jtsandwich wrote:Nope, keep Kipnis. More value and $$ for the rest of your Auction. I also would not keep Asbrubal. One great year 2 years ago, I thin his value is $11 tops.

If I don't keep Astrubal, I would have nobody at SS and I don't want to pay 35+ for Reyes in the draft. I really do not understand the hate for Astrubal. All the rankings I have seen have him top 10 in all of baseball. He puts up solid numbers for a SS. The only good shortstops that are cheaper in my league are Alcides Escobar at 9 (who I traded) and JJ at 13.

Oh, and we start: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF, U 2 P; 3 SP; 2 RP

Here is what is left on my team after all my trades:
Joakim Soria, Tex RP 3
Jake Odorizzi, KC SP 3
Chris Carter, Oak 1B 3
Sean Doolittle, Oak RP 3
Aaron Crow, KC RP 5
Jason Kipnis, Cle 2B 5
Mike Trout, LAA OF 5
Matt Moore, TB SP 5
Addison Reed, CWS RP 14
Torii Hunter, Det OF 16
Raul Ibanez, Sea OF, DH 18
Asdrubal Cabrera, Cle SS 19
Mariano Rivera, NYY RP 24
Billy Butler, KC DH, 1B 28
Kevin Youkilis, NYY 3B, 1B 28
Paul Konerko, CWS 1B, DH 34
Dustin Pedroia, Bos 2B 44

As I said, not much left after my 6/7 keepers. I have tried other trades but the beltre owner only counters by adding Trout into the mix. I am not trading Trout. The worst part is the owner has to cut a lot of salary but I really do not have any cheap players left to trade him other than moore, kipnis and trout. I was actually contemplating keeping Doolittle at 3. He fills one of my middle relief positions, solid numbers and should get a bunch of holds. Going to keep trying to trade pedroia for someone. I am hoping he should gain more interest when opening day gets closer.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions