Post Hype Sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Post Hype Sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Post Hype Sleepers

Postby jeffmerk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Will former top prospects like Brian Matusz, Justin Smoak and Domonic Brown finally hit their stride this year? Are there any other PHSs worth taking a gamble on?
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Post Hype Sleepers

Postby Ender » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:09 pm

This is Sean Burroughs year. I can feel it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:48 am

Not sure about those three. Smoak would be my bet if any of them were to break out. Bringing in the fences in Seattle could help his numbers as well as a better roster.

Hosmer got a lot of love last year and seems to be shunned by those same people this year. I could easily see him take a big jump this year. Not sure where he is going in drafts but if is as late as people are making it feel, he is a great buy right now.

Matt Moore is another one that got a lot of love last year. He doesn't seem to be getting the Hosmer treatment but I think he is falling further than I think he should.

Montero is another one I think can take a nice step forward. He seems to be more forgotten about than anything. Again with those fences moving in, in Seattle things could change pretty quickly for him.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 am

Smoak is going to struggle to find playing time early so he is more of a wait and grab if he does well type imo.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Derek Holland. I've had this tease for 3 years.

Yonder Alonso had a solid season and could be a nice target in pts leagues.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby americanleagueroto » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Jesus Montero will continue to improve this year for sure.

Keep your eye on Dustin Ackley as well. Not going to be great this year, but will be a solid MI option

Dave ;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Montana168 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Desmond Jennings-Likely one of my favorite targets that will be on many, if not all, of my teams. Ranked as the #41 OF on this site. That is likely a very low ranking compared to when the rest of the rankings are out, but I would certainly grab him at that spot all day. In a bad year he went 13 HR/30 SB. He won't be that bad again. I see a big jump this year (20/45 is attainable), and at the current price, there is a lot of room for profit.

Domonic Brown-Will finally have a starting job in LF or RF going into Spring Training. However, if he wants to keep it, he is going to have not be terrible in ST or there is a strong chance that he will be replaced by Darin Ruf. Make or break year for Brown, and can be had for a late round flyer. When I target those late round sleepers, I go for upside, especially guys with power/speed upside. I'm buying.

Eric Hosmer-Extreme bust last year has left an awful taste in the mouth of owners that invested an early round pick. As a result, those owners will write him off, and the savvy managers should be licking their chops for this kid. Offers 25+ HR/10+ SB potential as a backup 1b. Ranked as the #22 1B on this site behind the likes of LaRoche, Chris Davis, Cuddyer, Swisher. I will take him over any of those guys any day of the week.

Mike Minor-Not sure if this one counts because owners likely did not invest a high round pick on him, but he was a sexy sleeper heading into the past two seasons. However, he started last season miserably and was outproduced by Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy (pre-TJ) the past two years. Post all-star break numbers: 87 IP 67 K/16 BB 2.16 ERA 0.87 WHIP. He'll be on every one of my teams.

Brett Lawrie-Another sexy sleeper heading into last season where many gambled heavily and invested an early round pick on the kid, only to be underwhelmed by 11 HR/13 SB in 494 AB. Heading into this year, most sites will have him as the #9-12 3B off the board. Again, I love to target power/speed bats, and if I miss out on Miggy or Longoria, I am likely going to wait on 3B and grab Lawrie who will be in the heart of a very talented lineup, and barely health, should reach the 20/20 plateau. Capable of putting up David Wright type numbers and a much lower cost.

Mike Moustakas-Another guy people were high on, and had a very poor season. I would not trust him as my starting 3B, but the power upside still remains and ranked as the #16 3B, I will gladly pluck him as a backup 3B/utility type player.

Other late round/post-hype sleeper guys that I will be watching/targeting:
Tyler Flowers
Devin Mesoraco
Brett Gardner
Jeremy Hellickson (Ranked as the #72 SP-crazy low to me)
Tommy Hanson-not sure if he counts, but his price is very, very low that he is worth the gamble

3 SP coming off TJ surgery that will be great stashes for the 2nd half:
Cory Luebke
Daniel Hudson
Brandon Beachy
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:38 pm

kab21 wrote:Derek Holland. I've had this tease for 3 years.

My God, me too. I take him every year and we have an abusive relationship. He makes me feel like a battered wife. I'm sure I'll have him again this year.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby Element » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:22 pm

There are some good names on here. I especially agree with what has been said regarding Jesus Montero. I think that he is going to be a popular target for many for as long as he maintains catcher eligibility.

Eric Hosmer is the most interesting one. Once again, it all comes down to his adjustments to how they are defending him. If he shows in spring training that he can drive the ball (or show that he if giving effort to) to left center then I am completely on board, Otherwise, he will continue to hit into the shift.

Derek Holland is dead to me.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Nuclear29 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:59 pm

I'm looking for an awesome season from Moore this year. He's going to be lights out!
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers