Will Justin Upton Move? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Justin Upton Move?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Will Justin Upton Move?

Postby kab21 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:17 am

jorgesca wrote:Why are the Dbacks trying so desperately to move Upton? They've been trying for a while now, I mean I don't get it, he was an A prospect, he has had several good years and one great one, his salary isn't that high and the probability of prospects panning out isn't that high. He has more or less already panned out, why trade him for unproven prospects when his salary is still affordable? I mean they just paid Cody freaking Ross more than what they would pay him this year.

I think it has to do with his attitude and his frequent injuries.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 am

done deal, Upton to the Braves.
Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman

Source: Braves get Justin Upton and Chris Johnson from D-backs for Prado, Delgado, Ahmed and Spruill.

with Prado gone, who will leadoff for the Braves? Simmons? if so, Simmons value just got bumped up.

if Prado is in Arizona, where does he bat? I assume Adam Eaton will lead off? does Prado bat 2nd or 3rd?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Montana168 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:58 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:done deal, Upton to the Braves.
Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman

Source: Braves get Justin Upton and Chris Johnson from D-backs for Prado, Delgado, Ahmed and Spruill.

with Prado gone, who will leadoff for the Braves? Simmons? if so, Simmons value just got bumped up.

if Prado is in Arizona, where does he bat? I assume Adam Eaton will lead off? does Prado bat 2nd or 3rd?

I would say its highly unlikely they throw Simmons into the fire and put him at leadoff right off the bat. He'll have to have an explosive spring for that to have a chance at happening, IMO. Heyward--who is a far superior prospect than Simmons--started out in the bottom half of the lineup, and didn't really ascend to the 3 hole until last year on a permanent basis. If I had to guess, BJ Upton will probably lead off.

I agree with your assessment of Arizona though. They are a young team in general, and unlikely to sufficiently challenge the Dodgers and Giants for the NL West (although Arizona is still a very solid team, IMO, and could surprise) so I think throwing Eaton into the leadoff spot makes sense. Prado in 2 hole, then Hill, Goldy, Montero, Kubel, Ross.

I think this should actually boost Hill's value a bit. He spent last year in the 2 hole, and if he sticks in the 3 hole, he could have great counting stats (~180 R + RBI). If the the Dbacks aren't comfortable with Eaton in the leadoff role, then I think he'd slot in the 8 hole and everyone just moves up a spot with Prado as the leadoff man. Without question though, Prado will likely start out in the 1 or 2 hole since he posts solid OBP and doesn't really drive in the amount of runs that you would want out of your 3 hole hitter (even though he had a career high 70 RBI last year).
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby daullaz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Simmons is batting leadoff, for sure.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Montana168 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Well...I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. !+) Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said he envisions his top third of the order to be Simmons, Heyward, Justin Upton.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/678 ... on-simmons
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers