Final Keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Final Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Final Keeper

Postby colt4523 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Just looking for some more input from the board about my final keeper. AL only 6x6 (hr, xbh, runs, avg, sb, rbis; wins, era, whip, saves, holds, kos) 12 teams h2h auction $260 cap keep 8.
After some extensive trading I am left with these 7 players:
Kipnis 5
Trout 5
Moore 5
Astrubal 19
Hunter 16
Reed 14
butler 28
total 92

If I cannot make anymore trades, I will have to choose from the following:
Rivera 24
Konerko 34
Pedroia 44
Youk 28
crow 5
Ordorizzi 3

Who should I keep?
WHIR
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Final Keeper

Postby onitapgr » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:22 pm

You have to keep an 8th, huh?

Odorizzi
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:47 pm

I really don't like any of those options to keep. They all seem over priced based on your keepers. I was going to say just keep Pedroia and overpay for him, but that doesnt really make sense with Kipnis

Is it possible to move Pedroia?
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby colt4523 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Kimbos Beard wrote:I really don't like any of those options to keep. They all seem over priced based on your keepers. I was going to say just keep Pedroia and overpay for him, but that doesnt really make sense with Kipnis

Is it possible to move Pedroia?

No, I have tried. No one is looking to add salary. I basically traded all my cheap players to acquire my 7 keepers. There will be some big bats (pujols/prince) and starters (possible price, felix) put back in the draft but I think a lot of owners are banking on the draft which is not a good idea. Our keepers increase $2 ever year and our players seem to go for higher prices (free agents last year pujols went for 70 and prince 65). Some more examples longo 52 cano 51 Verlander 56.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Brainstorm » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:10 am

In that case, Odorizzi, only because he's the cheapest. None of them are very appealing, but at least your other 7 are good keepers.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 am

Crow. I think he is a solid reliever with upside (his ERA was a little high especially as his BB% went down and his HR/9 went down). Plus he is cheap and in this kind of league I would expect him to go for a similar price. I don't see a good reason to take Odorizzi as you don't know if he will pitch this year at all (TB has very little need for SP) and if he does, I don't think he will be very good. Crow will at least be useful.

On the other hand you have saved a ton of money, so having one guy in Pedroia who might be at market value in this league wouldn't hurt your team all that much. I never really like filling my util spot before the draft but hard to argue with having someone that good on your team.

I would lean towards Crow with Pedroia being my second.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby kaiser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:40 am

I like Crow as the cheap option with the best upside, too. However, if your league allows it, perhaps you should just consider not keeping an 8th.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby colt4523 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Yeah, we have to keep 8. I was leaning towards Rivera. $24 is expensive (I think he was the highest closer last year) but I have plenty of money and having Reed and Rivera as my closers would help a ton in the Saves category.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kaiser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:57 pm

colt4523 wrote:Yeah, we have to keep 8. I was leaning towards Rivera. $24 is expensive (I think he was the highest closer last year) but I have plenty of money and having Reed and Rivera as my closers would help a ton in the Saves category.

Certainly understand your thinking, but I think I would rather spend $12-$15 apiece to get two lower mid-level closers, instead of using $24 for one guy, no matter how legendary he is. Spread your risk out a bit more.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby Element » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:23 pm

I wouldn't spend on saves either. I would keep Pedroia or Crow. I don't think that Odorizzi is going to help you much this season ... if at all. I also don't think that he's going to be anything special enough to hang on to right now. Crow is cheap enough that if you don't him ... whatever. I personally prefer Pedroia because you have some cash to spend and he's not obscenely expensive.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions