Draft Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2013 First Cafe Mock

Draft Discussion

Moderators: Pogotheostrich, J35J, americanleagueroto

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby sfjb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:08 pm

I have Harper in an auction league and will extend him for another 2-3 years. I've held him for two years now, so he's still pretty cheap. Even so, in this format, given 5 OF slots, I don't think 4th round is a reach by any means.
sfjb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 pm

Saltydog wrote:I might be in the minority, but I'm not taking Harper any earlier than the 5th or 6th round.

Any reason why? Do you expect him to regress from last year?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby Saltydog » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:26 pm

The same reason why most 20 year olds can be overrated. I don't think he will regress but he hasn't even had 500 at bats.

He has high upside but I saw Hosmer and Lawrie struggle after year one. Can Harper be an exception? Sure, but I'm going with a more proven player until round 5.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 142)

Postby jonboy418 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Saltydog wrote:The same reason why most 20 year olds can be overrated. I don't think he will regress but he hasn't even had 500 at bats.

He has high upside but I saw Hosmer and Lawrie struggle after year one. Can Harper be an exception? Sure, but I'm going with a more proven player until round 5.

At least you're consistent with Braun over Trout.

I was vying for Harper in the fourth as well. I guess we've discovered his approximate ADP...
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby americanleagueroto » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Saltydog wrote: but he hasn't even had 500 at bats.

TECHNICALLY he's had 533. :-b

I don't usually like to buy into the 2nd year player like Harper, but after seeing what Ron Shandler's data had to say, I am ready to kick that trend with Harper in 2013.

Dave ;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Saltydog » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 pm

americanleagueroto wrote:
Saltydog wrote: but he hasn't even had 500 at bats.

TECHNICALLY he's had 533. :-b

I don't usually like to buy into the 2nd year player like Harper, but after seeing what Ron Shandler's data had to say, I am ready to kick that trend with Harper in 2013.

Dave ;-D

I was surprised to see that he was over 500 AB. For some reason I thought he fell below that threshold.

Like I said, I might be in the minority.

FWIW, I drafted Trout in this mock last year.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=316
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 142)

Postby Element » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:30 pm

jonboy418 wrote:
Saltydog wrote:The same reason why most 20 year olds can be overrated. I don't think he will regress but he hasn't even had 500 at bats.

I was vying for Harper in the fourth as well. I guess we've discovered his approximate ADP...

I seriously considered him over Cespedes. So end of third to early of the fourth sounds about right. The in season adjustments that he was able to make were impressive last season. I'm not ready to project a .290+ average yet, but it wouldn't shock me in the least. He's a threat to go 30/30 already.

RJ- You had him real high on your rankings. What was your projection for him?
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby daullaz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:44 pm

Element wrote:
jonboy418 wrote:

I seriously considered him over Cespedes. So end of third to early of the fourth sounds about right. The in season adjustments that he was able to make were impressive last season. I'm not ready to project a .290+ average yet, but it wouldn't shock me in the least. He's a threat to go 30/30 already.

RJ- You had him real high on your rankings. What was your projection for him?

.275 to .285 with 28-32 HRs, 20-24 SBs.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby stevethumb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 pm

I think that .280 would be the ceiling and I'm not sure there is a 30 HR season in his immediate future.. I like him at that spot in the draft...
I'm interested in what you'd pay for him in a 12 team NL only auction..your bid ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby daullaz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:08 pm

stevethumb wrote:I think that .280 would be the ceiling and I'm not sure there is a 30 HR season in his immediate future.. I like him at that spot in the draft...
I'm interested in what you'd pay for him in a 12 team NL only auction..your bid ?

No idea. I'm not in any NL-only leagues, so I don't have any dollar values done up.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 First Cafe Mock