Draft Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2013 First Cafe Mock

Draft Discussion

Moderators: Pogotheostrich, J35J, americanleagueroto

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Saltydog » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:03 pm

When you make out your draft lists and rankings, is there ever a time where you would consider a specific player "unrosterable" despite consensus rankings?

There are players that I have deliberately gone out of my way to avoid in the first 8-10 rounds and hope that someone thinks they've gotten a "steal" in the mid rounds.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 149)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm

I very rarely consider someone unrosterable. I'd only really apply the term to guys that are expected to be out for at least half the season in leagues where there are no, or limited, DL slots. Even if I think a particular player is going to underwhelm this year, there's still a spot where I'd eventually draft him.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby jonboy418 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm practically there with Hanley Ramirez. I've had him as a keeper since 2007 in my league. I've seen drop off after each year. He started as a .320/30/50 guy and now he's with the rest of the pack. He's got a bad attitude and I was always wondering how it would affect his playing time. This is the first year I'm not keeping him. I'll let someone else draft him hoping for a return to past accolades.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby cordscords » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm projecting Kipnis to hit .270, 17 HR, 80 RBI, 90 R, 25 SB.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:33 pm

If those end up being standard ADPs for halladay, bumgarner, and gio, there's a pretty high chance I won't be drafting a pitcher in the first 5 rounds this year.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 844)

Postby stevethumb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:53 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:If those end up being standard ADPs for halladay, bumgarner, and gio, there's a pretty high chance I won't be drafting a pitcher in the first 5 rounds this year.

i don't see where they would have gone earlier in this draft...maybe one of then...maybe 2 of them but not all three

nice pick on arios..as long as he doesn't revert to 2011 that's a nice spot for him
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby daullaz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 pm

Agreed on Rios -- he was my second option behind Desmond.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby americanleagueroto » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:16 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Let's talk Kipnis. I was ready to take him my last two picks and couldn't pull the trigger. I just don't buy him repeating the 31 SB from last year. What are you expecting?
I worry he's going to end up 15/15 with 150 RBI+R and a .270 BA.

For my auction figures I used a projection of 15 homers, 21 SB's, slightly higher BA than last year.

My figures tell me to take Altuve before Kipnis, but I can't help but worry about how bad Houston will be this year.

Dave ;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby daullaz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:22 am

americanleagueroto wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Let's talk Kipnis. I was ready to take him my last two picks and couldn't pull the trigger. I just don't buy him repeating the 31 SB from last year. What are you expecting?
I worry he's going to end up 15/15 with 150 RBI+R and a .270 BA.

For my auction figures I used a projection of 15 homers, 21 SB's, slightly higher BA than last year.

My figures tell me to take Altuve before Kipnis, but I can't help but worry about how bad Houston will be this year.

Dave ;-D

Houston was pretty bad last year and Altuve was still a valuable player. He should actually see a small bump in RBI this year now that he's not hitting behind a pitcher. I wouldn't be worried about Houston's level of play in relation to his fantasy value.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

Postby Saltydog » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 am

With 4 MI players taken in round Altuve seemed the best bet to at least provide something in 3 categories. I'm not a fan of who's left of the remaining MI choices.

Scherzer as the 16th SP off the board I thought was too hard to resist with 200 K potential.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 149)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 First Cafe Mock