Advantage of national league only - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Advantage of national league only

Advantage of national league only

Postby 4_Favre » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi everyone - just got into fantasy baseball big time last year. I have been in charge of 2 roto 10 team leagues and one head to head league with 12 teams. I prefer roto and am wondering what are the advantages on national league only - fantasy leagues.

My guess is that you need to have alot of knowledge of the national league (or American - if that is the optin) as the pool of players is smaller. What are some of the pros and cons of this option?

Thanks for your help.
4_Favre
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Advantage of national league only

Postby americanleagueroto » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:23 am

In my opinion it's more fun.

If you have a deeper knowledge of the game/players in a particular league it's fun to roster players you'd never touch in a 12-14 team mixed league.

If your favorite team plays in the NL and AL and aren't great (Mariners for me) an AL only league allows you to roster more players you're going to watch more

Roster restrictions are usually set up in a more realistic way in only leagues.

Just more of a challenge and my preferred way to play

Dave ;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 4_Favre » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:47 pm

That is pretty much what I was thinking - thanks for your help.
;-D
4_Favre
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 4_Favre » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 pm

Just a question then... what happens if you are in an NL only league and your star or any player gets traded in season, or in a keeper league?
4_Favre
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby americanleagueroto » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 am

4_Favre wrote:Just a question then... what happens if you are in an NL only league and your star or any player gets traded in season, or in a keeper league?

Depends on how you set up the rules.

Some leagues play you lose the player right away, some allow you to keep that player and continue to gain stats, but he can't be traded and if he's dropped no one, including the team that drops him, can pick him back up. Just depends on how you want to set it up.

Dave ;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 4_Favre » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Okay thanks for all your help.
4_Favre
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:44 pm

AL/NL only leagues are similar to the 20+ tm leagues that I enjoy playing. They absolutely require you to know about nearly every MLB player since every starter has value. The advantage of NL only is that you only need to find 12-14 owners to fill the league and you only need to do deep research on half of the players.

I typically find standard 12 team leagues boring since there are always good players on the WW.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby americanleagueroto » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:45 pm

kab21 wrote:AL/NL only leagues are similar to the 20+ tm leagues that I enjoy playing. They absolutely require you to know about nearly every MLB player since every starter has value. The advantage of NL only is that you only need to find 12-14 owners to fill the league and you only need to do deep research on half of the players.

I typically find standard 12 team leagues boring since there are always good players on the WW.

Exactly, I find myself seeing names I want to roster in standard 12 team mixers on the wire due to my research for my only leagues, but you just can't.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RotoValue » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:04 pm

4_Favre wrote:Just a question then... what happens if you are in an NL only league and your star or any player gets traded in season, or in a keeper league?

Our long-time leagues (auction-based) use a FAAB system, where if your player is traded to the other league, you get his auction price added to your FAAB. But we also say you don't count their stats after they leave the league. So you lose a good player, but have some edge in winning the new good players traded into the league.

In our case, there's a lot more talent at the auction than in the FAAB pool, so you rarely want to see a player traded away, but sometimes that extra FAAB helps.

Oh, and if you're unfamiliar, FAAB is "Free Agent Acquisition Budget". Each team starts the year with a fixed FAAB, and you bid for new players (e.g. callups and players traded from the other league). In some formats, you bid FAAB for any pickup, even an unowned free agent.
RotoValue
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Beginner's Forum