Which pitcher would you take if any? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which pitcher would you take if any? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which pitcher would you take if any? WHIR

Postby henryjames » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:24 am

Waited a bit to long to get an "ace" in my head to head league. I usually go for quantity in Head to Head leagues and nab my pitchers in the 7th or 8th due to the risk in reaching for pitchers (See Halladay/Lincecum last year). I think it's time I draft a SP. These are my choices....and this will be my #1:

Roy Halladay
Kris Medlen
Mat Latos
Jordan Zimmerman
Max Scherzer
Josh Johnson

Then again, I could continue racking up offense as well but I'm afraid i'll really be scraping the bottom by the time the snake gets back to me. Here are my choices there:
Choo, Willingham, Morse, Ike Davis, Ryan Howard, Konerko.

So who would you pick?

Here is my team as it stands now...BTW it is a 6x6 OPS league

Josh Hamilton
Carlos González
Ryan Braun
Edwin Encarnacion
Ryan Zimmerman
Ian Desmond
Aaron Hill
henryjames
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which pitcher would you take if any? WHIR

Postby SoCal87 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:51 am

Is this a keeper or one year, what's the deal?
I mean, if it's a keeper I'll take either Zimm or Medlen, if it's just a one year league I'll take a chance on Halladay.
SoCal87
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:53 am

I'd take Halladay and be pretty happy about it. He's a year removed from being the best pitcher in baseball and was pretty unlucky last year. If he's healthy he should way outproduce that draft spot.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 809)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:30 am

JZ
Medlen
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby kaiser » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:42 am

I take Halladay. While he seems to be beginning to decline, he still is the best of that bunch.

After Halladay, I go Medlin, Zimmerman, Latos, Scherzer, Johnson
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 428)

Postby henryjames » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks for the responses....so Halladay's bad year last year, shoulder troubles and the fact nothing has really been reported (positive or negative) this offseason doesn't concern you all enough to pass him up here?
henryjames
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 am

henryjames wrote:Thanks for the responses....so Halladay's bad year last year, shoulder troubles and the fact nothing has really been reported (positive or negative) this offseason doesn't concern you all enough to pass him up here?

I would go Halladay as well. It is a risky move no doubt but if he does bounce back close to his value two years ago then you are getting a steal. The real problem is that I am not sold on any of those SP. I like Zimmermann but not as your ace. Same really goes for Latos and Scherzer. Medlin is solid but I would prefer if he was my #3. So I think I gamble on Halladay and hope one of those SP come back around. SP can be easier to find during the season so if Halladay has problems, it shouldn't kill your chances.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:46 am

MaudDib wrote:
henryjames wrote:Thanks for the responses....so Halladay's bad year last year, shoulder troubles and the fact nothing has really been reported (positive or negative) this offseason doesn't concern you all enough to pass him up here?

I would go Halladay as well. It is a risky move no doubt but if he does bounce back close to his value two years ago then you are getting a steal. The real problem is that I am not sold on any of those SP. I like Zimmermann but not as your ace. Same really goes for Latos and Scherzer. Medlin is solid but I would prefer if he was my #3. So I think I gamble on Halladay and hope one of those SP come back around. SP can be easier to find during the season so if Halladay has problems, it shouldn't kill your chances.

I think your concerns about Halladay are legitimate, but I think I still roll the dice with him, especially if this is not a keeper. I like Medlin and Zimmerman alot but Halladay is the pitcher with the biggest upside out of the three because he has consistently done it for years. The four years prior to last, Hallady's highest ERA was 2.79. The lowest Strikeout total was 206 and his highest WHIP was 1.12. Those stats include his last two years in toronto.

Now to be fair Halladay didn't look effective at all last year and the most recent update I read was an interview with the Phillie GM last week saying that Halladay is right on schedule with his offseason plan but that they won't know "what Doc we are getting back" until spring training starts. So there is risk there and plenty of it, but I just think there is also plenty of upside, to make this pick. I don't think you need an absolute vintage Halladay to have him put up better numbers for one year than the other pitchers you listed.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 27)

Postby henryjames » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Oh yeah...BTW, it IS a keeper, but we only keep 4, and I don't keep pitchers in a head to head...so it doesn't really factor in.

My other concern about Doc is that they limit his innings to 6 or 7 tops, due to the shoulder. This will cost him wins, etc.

Call me nuts...but there is a small part of me that sees the quality of SP when the snake comes back in 20 picks or so...to not be THAT much worse than what my choices are now. I almost want to grab Willingham or Howard since i have 2 UTIL spots still to fill. Then again, getting Doc this late "could" be a bargain. I just am not sure if the doc of old is even a possibility.

Zimmerman and Medlen just seem safer?

Torn.....
henryjames
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Element » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Drafting Doc this season is the opposite of what you did last year. You would be buying low. I would take Doc and then hope to get 1 or 2 of those other guys once it comes back to you.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions