is coco crisp the man now??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

is coco crisp the man now???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:35 am

Sevillano wrote:Seriously, Coco has the stuff to be good once given a legit chance. He's a better all around player than Escobar, but because Alex has more of a rep, and more power behind him it will take time for Crisp to break through. I personally think Escobar will be an average fantasy OF at his peak(25 HR, .275 BA). I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two Coco was similar to Pierre in fantasy statistics with slightly more power and slightly less SB's, but unless you're in a really deep league, pass on him for now.

Since other than one half season at AAA, Crisp has never shown any real power, what prompts you to say that? Just to compare the two:

At A ball, at age 19, Escobar had a slugging percentage of .584
At A ball, at age 21, Crisp had a slugging percentage of .423

At AA ball, at age 21, Escobar slugged .487
At AA ball, at age 22, Crisp slugged .438

At AAA ball, at age 22, Escobar slugged .452
At AAA ball, at age 23, Crisp slugged .511 (in 225 at bats, so I'm inclined to believe the 1,400 previous minor league at bats in which he never had a full season slugging percentage above .437).

Everything I've read or heard, as well as my own evaluation of their stats, suggests that while Escobar has all-star potential, Crisp might be a good 4th outfielder.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sevillano » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:19 am

By all-around player I meant more than just slugging percentage, because of the speed he'll bring to the front of a lineup and his defensive prowess in center field. I do realize Escobar has a better arm and a bigger bat, but he has yet to live up to the hype offensively or defensively since his leg injury a few years back. I have no doubt, that Escobar should outslug Crisp. The fact that Crisp's slugging percentage was higher even in those 225 at bats surprises me. Like I said, Crisp's abilities could make him similar to Pierre in offensive output or a Lofton of old. Couple that with his ability to run down anything in the field, and I'd rather have a guy like him at the front of my lineup than a guy who will hit 28-30 HR and have a .270 BA (based on Escobar's minor league performance the last few years).

You are right about Escobar having All-Star potential, but frankly he's been disappointing since being injured a few years back.
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers