Is Jennings worth? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Is Jennings worth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Jennings worth?

Postby Rally Cat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Closers might be picked up in your league in April but from what i know abou this league they aren't. Plus there is a savings of 7.00 over Jennings and I would fill two spots and not one for only 3.00.
But I respect and thank you for your opinion.
Rally Cat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tex34 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Rally Cat wrote:Closers might be picked up in your league in April but from what i know abou this league they aren't. Plus there is a savings of 7.00 over Jennings and I would fill two spots and not one for only 3.00.

Oh, well I don't think it's league specific. There's like a 20-25% turnover in closers every season, so unless you're in a league where most MRP's are owned, you should have a shot, no? :-)
Tex34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Kimbos Beard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Tex34 wrote:
Rally Cat wrote:Closers might be picked up in your league in April but from what i know abou this league they aren't. Plus there is a savings of 7.00 over Jennings and I would fill two spots and not one for only 3.00.

Oh, well I don't think it's league specific. There's like a 20-25% turnover in closers every season, so unless you're in a league where most MRP's are owned, you should have a shot, no? :-)

Tex is right. I would guess Fernando Rodney was not owned in a majority of leagues when play started last year. And I doubt many people were advising to pick up up for anything more than a speculative add with no confidence. The point is that, first, closers appear out of nowhere each season and second, I wouldn't count on Rodney being a sure thing top notch closer seeing that he had basically been a bum before last year (he was basically a mid 4 ERA pitcher with an average WHIP at about 1.55.)

To me, i grab Jennings. Has he had some growing pains last year, yeah, but I think I would much rather roll the dice on a guy who can give me 15 HR's and 40SB's in exchange for a couple of closers. In addition since this is an AL only league, its even harder to find guys that have the potential to be a top 10 guy at their position, so I would tend to be even more aggressive in acquiring guys with very high upside, which Jennings is.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 am

Kimbos Beard wrote:
Tex34 wrote:

Tex is right. I would guess Fernando Rodney was not owned in a majority of leagues when play started last year. And I doubt many people were advising to pick up up for anything more than a speculative add with no confidence. The point is that, first, closers appear out of nowhere each season and second, I wouldn't count on Rodney being a sure thing top notch closer seeing that he had basically been a bum before last year (he was basically a mid 4 ERA pitcher with an average WHIP at about 1.55.)

To me, i grab Jennings. Has he had some growing pains last year, yeah, but I think I would much rather roll the dice on a guy who can give me 15 HR's and 40SB's in exchange for a couple of closers. In addition since this is an AL only league, its even harder to find guys that have the potential to be a top 10 guy at their position, so I would tend to be even more aggressive in acquiring guys with very high upside, which Jennings is.

Add my 2 cents as well.

Both are right. Unless your league plays holds, you can find closers off the WW. Of course "experts" are going to project Rodney to have a solid year with some regression because that is the safe and easy thing to do. Heck I would expect a solid year from him. But no one saw Rodney doing what he did last year which means no one really knows what he will do this year. Closers change often and quickly and don't get locked into thinking that they are sure things.

Is this the year for Jennings? I don't know but if you think the guy is going to get better in the next couple years then you better buy now. By the time he does figure things out, you won't be able to trade two middle of the road closers for him. Maybe you get burned on the deal, it happens but trades like this can put you into the top quicker than standing pat and watching one of your two closers one the DL by April.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Rally Cat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Well it took a while but I finally made a deal. I traded Rodney 1.00 and Addison Reed 2.00 for Desmond Jennings 5.00 and Danny Hultzen ( minor leaguer ) . I will have to decide before we freeze rosters a week before the draft if I want to leave Jennings at 5.00 or add a year to his contract and make him 10.00 for a total of two years.
Thanks for all your help. ;-D
Rally Cat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions