Is Jennings worth? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Is Jennings worth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Jennings worth?

Postby Rally Cat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Another manger in my 12 team AL only has Jennings 5.00 . He said he would trade him to me but wants Rodney 1.00 and Addison Reed 2.00. Jennings can only be kept through 2013 unless I extend his contract when we freeze rosters a week before the draft. It would cost 5.00 per year. I think I could get something else thrown in . Maybe a pick or he has offered to include Phil Hughes who is 10.00
I also have Casey Janssen 1.00 that I'm a little affraid of because he is coming off shoulder surgery and he might lose his job .If I could do both Janssen and Rodney I would do it . I just think Reed will be a top closer and for only 2.00 I think he is a steal. My league mates tend to over price players. My guess is somebody like Rivera will go for 15.00-20.00 at the draft. maybe more.
Standard 5x5 scoring 260.00 draft cap.
My keepers right now are. We keep up to 8 players . i have listed 10.

Trout 5.00
Keppinger 8.00
Hosmer 5.00 but will extend him one year making him 10.00
Eric Aybar 15.00
Price 20.00
Tilman 1.00 ?
Rodney 1.00
Janssen 1.00
Addison Reed 2.00
Dunn 22.00 ?
Rally Cat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Jennings worth?

Postby etex211 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:35 pm

I had Jennings as a 9th round keeper in a mixed league last year. I'll probably be throwing him back in that league this year.

I don't like the deal. I'd rather have Reed than Jennings.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 28)

Postby kidsilk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Keep your closers. Jennings is good but I'd rather have Rodney and Reed going into the draft. Can you help me out?

viewtopic.php?t=453112
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1227)

Postby colt4523 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:50 pm

I would keep your closers. On a side note Dunn and Keppinger seem too high.

viewtopic.php?t=453123
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby Rally Cat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm hoping to trade Dunn as we get closer to the draft. From what I am seeing about half of the league isn't even looking at baseball. trust me. 22 is a good price for Dunn in this league. and Keppinger is a very good price at 8.00. Beltre went for 37.00 last year and Youkilis went for 31.00 . Just giving you an idea of what third baseman went for.
Rally Cat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kcbrett5 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Would not. I would keep the 2 closers and not have to worry about saves in the draft.
kcbrett5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Stepping up to the plate, 2 out bases loaded, down by 3, right where i want to be.

Postby Element » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:14 pm

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I would do this trade. You likely picked up Reed or Rodney off of waivers last season (or drafted at the end of your draft), That is how the closer position is every season. Whenever you can take a couple of late round flyers or waiver adds and turn them into a young stud like Desmond Jennings at THAT cost you should do it.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Rally Cat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:05 pm

Actually no . I took over this team after the season ended. Rodney was picked up by the previous owner. But I traded Moustakas and AJ Pierzynski to get Hosmer and Reed. Janssen was also on the team. But just because Rodney may have been picked up off the wire. That doesn't lower his value. he had a huge season last year. And from what i have been reading so far many think he will have another good season this coming year. Some regression of course.
I like Jennings alot. I'm just wondering if this is the year he hits for a better average or are we still a couple of years away? Is he another BJ Upton ? We wait and wait. Sure the steals are nice and he seems to hit for a little more power that Upton . I'm thinking if I can get him for Rodney and Janssen I would take that deal. But so far he says he wants Reed. It basically comes down to Reed 2.00 / Rodney 1.00 for Jennings 10.00 . Because if I'm giving up two closers I'm adding a year to Jennings to go from 5.00 to 10.00. The nice thing is. Chances are I wouldn't add a year to either of the closers next year and I would have Jennings for 10.00 next year. So its really a two years of Jennings for one year of two closers. Follow that ?
Thanks for all your help. ;-D
Rally Cat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Element wrote:Maybe I am in the minority here, but I would do this trade. You likely picked up Reed or Rodney off of waivers last season (or drafted at the end of your draft), That is how the closer position is every season. Whenever you can take a couple of late round flyers or waiver adds and turn them into a young stud like Desmond Jennings at THAT cost you should do it.

Agreed. Take the deal. Closers come and go. Jennings might not be a stud but he has room for growth. I like Reed and he could be a stud closer some day but you can give that distinction to a number of relief pitchers who disappear the next year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Tex34 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Element wrote:Maybe I am in the minority here, but I would do this trade. You likely picked up Reed or Rodney off of waivers last season (or drafted at the end of your draft), That is how the closer position is every season. Whenever you can take a couple of late round flyers or waiver adds and turn them into a young stud like Desmond Jennings at THAT cost you should do it.

I agree with Element. There's nothing special about Reed or Rodney, and closers can be picked up in April. Furthermore, they really only contribute in one category. Jennings is a good candidate to break out as a top-20 outfielder in 2013. In my opinion, it's usually a no-brainer to take upside over a commodity (like saves) in the off-season.

Good luck!
Tex34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions