Five Early Targets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Five Early Targets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Five Early Targets

Postby OBPlover » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:59 pm

I don't understand the list then. Why should I take Roy Halladay "early" as opposed to many more reliable starting pitchers?
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 131)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Izenhart » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm

OBPlover wrote:I don't understand the list then. Why should I take Roy Halladay "early" as opposed to many more reliable starting pitchers?

I think Halladay's upside of a true ace gives him value because people believe last year could just be an abberation. If you expect him to go 18-6 3.02/1.09 179k then yes he will have good value if his ADP is 60ish
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

Postby jonboy418 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Ender wrote:I just can't get on board with Prado and I think it is because of the R/RBI. When a player only gets 150 R+RBI and is sort of a 15/15 type of guy it just limits his value so much even if he is a legit .300 hitter. He certainly needs to be rostered but I'm not all pumped up about owning him either. He is kind of like Polanco who I was never excited about but used as a fallback plan on a regular basis for the safe and boring guy that he was.

I was the one who drafted Prado at 99 overall and I'm very happy getting him where I did. I selected him before his move to the DBacks, but now I think his value has increased in a friendlier hitting environment.

My only question is whether or not he'll run as much this year as last. If I can get 15/15 from him, I'll be ecstatic. 150 RBI/R combo is not uncommon for a SS or 2B. I mean, Starlin Castro netted 156 last season. Pedroia was under 150. Jose Reyes, Ian Desmond, and the list goes on.

Using ESPN Player Rater, Prado was a top 10 performer in 2B/SS/3B each, individually. I think it falls back on his .300 BA which lasted over 600 ABs and that he simply hurts you no where. At the end of the day, he doesn't win you any category single-handed, but instead bolsters BA.

Simply, he's that glue guy that just helps you win.

*edit: I just a quick search. Only 8 third basemen only netted more than 160 RBI/R. 8 second base men and only 3 shortstops. I can't see why that would be you limitation on Prado.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby kab21 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 pm

jonboy418 wrote:My only question is whether or not he'll run as much this year as last. If I can get 15/15 from him, I'll be ecstatic. 150 RBI/R combo is not uncommon for a SS or 2B. I mean, Starlin Castro netted 156 last season. Pedroia was under 150. Jose Reyes, Ian Desmond, and the list goes on.

What makes you think he'll go 15/15? His career best HR's is 15. He had 13 career SB's before last season. I'll take the under on both.

His R+RBI totals

I'm not sure that you can say that he'll get 150 R+RBI's imo. Again I'll take the under. I would strongly prefer to wait on a 2B/SS/3B than take him in the top 100. Too many good players still available at that point.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:33 pm

I was the one who drafted Prado at 99 overall and I'm very happy getting him where I did. I selected him before his move to the DBacks, but now I think his value has increased in a friendlier hitting environment.

Yeah I agree his value went up for sure.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:59 pm

kab21 wrote:
jonboy418 wrote:My only question is whether or not he'll run as much this year as last. If I can get 15/15 from him, I'll be ecstatic. 150 RBI/R combo is not uncommon for a SS or 2B. I mean, Starlin Castro netted 156 last season. Pedroia was under 150. Jose Reyes, Ian Desmond, and the list goes on.

What makes you think he'll go 15/15? His career best HR's is 15. He had 13 career SB's before last season. I'll take the under on both.

His R+RBI totals

I'm not sure that you can say that he'll get 150 R+RBI's imo. Again I'll take the under. I would strongly prefer to wait on a 2B/SS/3B than take him in the top 100. Too many good players still available at that point.

I feel the same way about Prado, his production doesnt excite me.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Quackman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Totally disagree about Halladay,,everything else seems fine. I agree hes been a machine in the past but last year he showed cracks. Lots of them. Personally he killed me in 2 leagues. I cant think of a player with more mileage on his arm than Halladay at his age. He's on my list of people i will not draft.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers