How bad is this deal for Trout? AL only - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

How bad is this deal for Trout? AL only

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How bad is this deal for Trout? AL only

Postby colt4523 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:41 pm

12 team AL only 260 cap 6x6 (holds, xbh). The trout owner offered this to me. Any possible counters? Here are my best players not involved in the deal.

reed 14
brantley 7
Bundy 3
profar 3
Rivera 24
Olt 3
Milone 3
CJ Wilson 9

The Trade:
My team
Jason Kipnis, 5
Mike Moustakas 9
Alcides Escobar 9
Josh Reddick 5
Dylan Bundy 3

For
Paul Konerko 34
Mike Trout 5
Josh Hamilton 39
Ernesto Frieri 3
Last edited by colt4523 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How bad is this deal for Trout? AL only

Postby Element » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Trout at $5 in an AL only league? Losing Kipnis and Bundy hurt in the long term, but nether carry Trout's jock. Hamilton's salary isn't bad at all. Konerko's sucks. If that's the price it takes to get Trout I would do it depending on your keeper terms. I would assume that there are contracts or salary increases year over year.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:31 pm

I agree with element. Getting Trout in an AL only keeper league at a salary of $5 bucks is terrific. I would expect someone to have to overpay huge for that, which I don't think you are doing here at all. You are clearly winning the talent part of the trade and It seems that you are just taking on Konerko's bad contract (I don't think Hamilton's contract is bad at all).
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 27)

Postby hochunk5 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 pm

I agree with the above 2 posts as well Trout and Hamilton and you are not giving up much. the only thing i wanted to add was that could you drop Konerko and draft a 1B?
hochunk5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby colt4523 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 am

Man, I don't know. We keep 8 and my top 6 keepers total what Hamilton's contract is. My keepers might not seem like real studs but they are some of the best players at their price point. If I keep the 8 keepers I have in mind, I am looking at $200 to spend on top free agents. Fielder, Pujols, and Reyes should be available.

This league is extremely deep (12 team Al only) which means I hate to see what will be available at 2b, ss, and 3b if I make that deal. Those positions are already extremely thin.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

Postby colt4523 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Well, I countered with:

Mike Trout, LAA OF
Josh Hamilton, LAA OF

For
Mike Moustakas, KC 3B
Alcides Escobar, KC SS
Josh Reddick, Oak OF
Jurickson Profar, Tex SS
Dylan Bundy,

This way I can keep Kipnis. If this goes through, I will trade Hamilton for a good cheap 3b and have a ton of money to spend on free agents.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

Postby colt4523 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Ended up getting trout 5, Swisher 19, Pedroia 44, and Ellsbury 45 for Bundy, Profar, Moose, Reddick, and Escobar. I will probably keep swish at that price and deal Pedroia and Ellsbury for one more keeper around $20. How did I do? To get Hamilton, I would have needed to include Kipnis. I will have a lot of holes to fill but I have the best keeper in the game for $5.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

Postby americanleagueroto » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:25 pm

colt4523 wrote:Ended up getting trout 5, Swisher 19, Pedroia 44, and Ellsbury 45 for Bundy, Profar, Moose, Reddick, and Escobar. I will probably keep swish at that price and deal Pedroia and Ellsbury for one more keeper around $20. How did I do? To get Hamilton, I would have needed to include Kipnis. I will have a lot of holes to fill but I have the best keeper in the game for $5.

Even in an AL Only where sometimes quantity of starting caliber players is better than quality, getting a $5 Trout for future pieces is a great deal for you. I do question the salary you took on with the other players, since that seemed to be a sticking point in the first deal, but if you're able to move Pedroia, and get something semi valuable due to his contract, it's not an issue anymore.

I think you need to hang onto Ellsbury as his value is probably to a point even moving him for salary relief doesn't make sense. Really, if Ellsbury does bounce back to even 75% of his MVP run year, you have Ellsbury and Trout locking down your OF for $50 and allowing you to take a look at a much wider range of fill in players in the infield since you'll be getting the power/speed/run production out of two of the best AL only has to offer (Ellsbury when right)

In an AL only I am fine with loosing Moose, this isn't going to be his break out year, and maybe the owner sours and you can get him back down the road. Reddick is fine, Escobar will regress some, but his skill set, even at SS is redundant on your squad. Bundy & Profar.... Flags Fly Forever.

;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions