Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby murmp2 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 am

Hey Genie, I think I asked for something similar last year, but I also tried to make it more complicated than it needs to be. I would love to see another watch list (specifically a not-watch list) to group players for whatever reason I want to avoid. There is a the blue watchlist flag and I would love a red flag.

There could be a number of different reasons why an owner could use a not-watch list. Say, for your fanatics leagues, ie people on these forums probably, where you have a minors roster, I'd love to mark off all the players that are already owned. For the slightly more casual owner, maybe they just want to have a list of players they have heard something they didn't like, a list of players they know they want to just avoid. Maybe its a chronic injury risk player, or a player who you know is only playing temporarily because the regular is injured. Or whatever reason, there could be a long list.

I know when I searching for a waiver pickup throughout the season, there is always a number of players I started to read up on and found something I just didn't like and didn't pick them up, then later in the season I end up researching them all over again, I'd love the red flag to just visually, eliminate them from my list of potential waiver pickups.

Maybe its the same watchlist but you allow the owner to set the color of the flag for that player. I'm guessing that wouldn't take much more than a tick in the database and I would imagine that would be pretty easy to program as well.
murmp2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Hello Genie, I have 3 really simple wishes:
- Limit of max number of starts per week...max Innings are cool, but number of starts is much more effective!
- Ability for commish to manually pick which team make the playoffs...we have some special in-house rules and conditions, and this would greatly help.
- And lastly, decimal values for FAAB. Just to the hundreth value would be great.

Really hoping to see these in game, thanks!
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:45 pm

MorseOverTaveras wrote:- And lastly, decimal values for FAAB. Just to the hundreth value would be great.

that would settle most ties ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:47 pm

This seems like a good time to remind people that I haven't worked for Yahoo! in 5 months or so now heh... But Guy Smiley should be peeking in periodically.

As a *user* and NOT as a Yahoo! representative, I'd say:
- I don't remember seeing the idea of the "Hate List" before :-)
- As a developer I disliked the max starts per week idea, and tried to explain a bajillion times why it isn't all it is cracked up to be. Now that I don't work there, I still believe this 110%. People get so bent out of shape about the fenceposting problem with games played at the end of the season where you can manage to go over the cap on the last day of the season. Trying to limit starts over a one week period has all the same problems, but those extra fenceposted games are a *much* bigger percentage of the data. You could develop all sorts of elaborate ways to try to decide which games count when you have 1 left and start 4 guys, but most of them have technical flaws or would be really confusing for users. That is why Yahoo! doesn't support max starts or max innings per week in h2h, and advocates limiting drop/adds per week as a more effective means to limit streaming.
- Custom playoff seeding is particularly dodgy in baseball when the regular season ends one day and the playoffs start the next. There isn't really a clear window for the commish to change things. It is possible you could resolve the last week of the regular season at 4am due to late games or late stats arrival, and then have the first game of the playoffs starting just a few hours later. It is a nice idea, and I think everyone understands why that would be desirable. How to actually do it is tougher. I wonder if you could do it if you skip a week... regular season runs through week X, playoffs start in week X+2. Hmm...
- If you want decimals to the hundredths in FAAB, couldn't you just give everyone 100x as much FAAB? The commish can set what the FAAB budget is. If you did that, you'd have the exact same precision.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 56)

Postby TheTrith » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:This seems like a good time to remind people that I haven't worked for Yahoo! in 5 months or so now heh... But Guy Smiley should be peeking in periodically.

- If you want decimals to the hundredths in FAAB, couldn't you just give everyone 100x as much FAAB? The commish can set what the FAAB budget is. If you did that, you'd have the exact same precision.

Exactly what i was thinking, seems like the common sense thing for commishes to do.

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:- Custom playoff seeding is particularly dodgy in baseball when the regular season ends one day and the playoffs start the next. There isn't really a clear window for the commish to change things. It is possible you could resolve the last week of the regular season at 4am due to late games or late stats arrival, and then have the first game of the playoffs starting just a few hours later. It is a nice idea, and I think everyone understands why that would be desirable. How to actually do it is tougher. I wonder if you could do it if you skip a week... regular season runs through week X, playoffs start in week X+2. Hmm...

I think most users who want custom H2H playoff seeding also want control over when playoffs begin and how long matchups last. If Yahoo provided us with all of those abilities there wouldnt be any issue that I can think of. At least not any issue that the league doesnt create for itself, in which case... poor league planning, so too bad.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 309)

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:26 pm

I wonder if the baseball leagues for this season will mirror the new look in football and hoops. I love the Start All Active Players button and the Night look. But I found myself confused each time I logged into my football page as the layout confounded me each time. Tough to explain why, it just did.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby TheTrith » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:33 pm

As far as starts per week, I agree that with the way the current starting lineup interface works, there would really be no good way for Yahoo to implement the feature without running into all the issues that Genie described.

Yahoo would have to change the the fundamental structure of the pitching portion of the team page and probably the way the current number of starting spots available per day (for lack of a better term) are displayed.
I'd think instead of having X number of SP spots displayed for that day, Yahoo would have to figure out some way to display X number of spots for the entire week where X is the total number of available starts - which I imagine would become problematic when pitchers make more than 1 start per week.
Bottom line, as much as several of my leagues would use this, I dont think it ever happens.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 309)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:44 pm

I was hoping yahoo would go back to the way the players profiles used to look, but chances are they wont. but for those interested you can still access the old profile pages using the Canadian version. what? on a players page, put ca in front of .sports.
Miguel Cabrera for example.
regular page - http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7163/
Canadian version with ca in front - http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7163

i like the older version and find it easier to use.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby wrveres » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:24 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:This seems like a good time to remind people that I haven't worked for Yahoo! in 5 months or so now heh...
when ever youre tired of living off foodstamps, can you please get back to work. youre needed. sorely.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Skippyoz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:06 am

SpecialFNK wrote:I was hoping yahoo would go back to the way the players profiles used to look, but chances are they wont. but for those interested you can still access the old profile pages using the Canadian version. what? on a players page, put ca in front of .sports.
Miguel Cabrera for example.
regular page - http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7163/
Canadian version with ca in front - http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7163

i like the older version and find it easier to use.

Holy cow… I like the Canadian (old US) version 1,000% better. The new version is awful.
Skippyoz
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers