Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:02 pm

etex211 wrote:I was commissioner for a yahoo head to head, one win per week league this past season. We had our own unique rules regarding free agent pickups and waiver claims, so the league members submitted their roster moves to me each week, and I processed all of them for the league.

The head to head scoring periods ran from Monday to Sunday. All league transactions were due to me Sunday by 6:00 pm, and I processed them Sunday evening, to be effective for the Monday games.

One thing that would be very beneficial is for the league commissioner to have the ability to process those transactions retroactively. In some cases, getting the transactions completed Sunday evening was difficult. In a couple of cases, I made mistakes that were not caught until Monday. It would be nice to be able to make the transactions on Monday or Tuesday, and have them be retroactive prior to the start of Monday's games.

just curious, but couldnt you simply put all players on waivers, and have the yahoo system run transactions every saturday evening/sunday morning? this is an upgrade id been pushing for for years, and over the last couple seasons the genie has implemented them.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby etex211 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:32 pm

You may have a point, at least for part of our process. We used FAAB bidding for free agents, and I think yahoo will accommodate that on a weekly basis.

We also used weekly waiver claims for players released by other teams. Waiver claims got priority over FAAB bids. I'm not sure if yahoo accommodates this or not.

The other thing we had going is that we had no limit to the number of players that could be reserved if they hit the major league DL or were sent to the minors. However, we didn't allow any active major league players to be reserved. Teams in our league routinely used up their allotment of yahoo DL and NA slots, and I had to manually put their players on the yahoo bench. Once a player was activated in the majors, the teams in our league had one week to activate him in yahoo, or I would release the player to the free agent pool.

So I think I could have let yahoo do part of my work, but not all of it.

I'm trying to keep this league free, so I really want to stay with yahoo if I can.

wrveres wrote:
etex211 wrote:I was commissioner for a yahoo head to head, one win per week league this past season. We had our own unique rules regarding free agent pickups and waiver claims, so the league members submitted their roster moves to me each week, and I processed all of them for the league.

The head to head scoring periods ran from Monday to Sunday. All league transactions were due to me Sunday by 6:00 pm, and I processed them Sunday evening, to be effective for the Monday games.

One thing that would be very beneficial is for the league commissioner to have the ability to process those transactions retroactively. In some cases, getting the transactions completed Sunday evening was difficult. In a couple of cases, I made mistakes that were not caught until Monday. It would be nice to be able to make the transactions on Monday or Tuesday, and have them be retroactive prior to the start of Monday's games.

just curious, but couldnt you simply put all players on waivers, and have the yahoo system run transactions every saturday evening/sunday morning? this is an upgrade id been pushing for for years, and over the last couple seasons the genie has implemented them.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 22)

Postby TheTrith » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:51 am

Customizable playoff brackets would be fabulous for 2014... let us choose when they start, how long each matchup lasts, and what teams are involved, and Yahoo will have many happy customers.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 282)

Postby RedTiger » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi Genie, I have two main suggestions that I think would be relatively easy to implement relative to their value.

1. Determining initial player eligibility based off of last year's positions.

I feel like the consensus around the general fantasy baseball community is a player is only eligible at a position to start the year if he appeared in 20 games there the previous year. Yahoo seems to have somewhat of a subjective alternative approach to this, so it is hard to predict eligibility in keeper leagues. Examples as we go from 2013 to 2014: Edwin Encarnacion and David Ortiz. Neither would qualify at 3B and 1B respectively under the 20 games criteria, but based off of past experiences, I can make only an educated guess that yahoo will let them qualify at these positions nonetheless. Encarnacion played 10 at 3B and Ortiz played 6 at 1B.

It would be nice if yahoo stuck to the 20 games requirement (or even 10) just so those in keeper leagues can know where a player will be eligible. The in season eligibility is laid out perfectly clearly and I have no issues with that.

2. Allowing the commissioner to edit stats (either all year or in rare half-week situations such as the disparate opening days, near the all-star break, and the last week of the season)

I see this problem coming up in 2014. The Dodgers and Diamondbacks play games on March 22nd and 23rd, while the rest of the league starts March 31st. To me, this appears to create a problem for roto weekly leagues. If I want the early games to count, I'll need to draft before March 22nd. And if my league does weekly lineup changes Monday-Sunday, I'll probably need to draft before March 16.

What I am asking for is to allow the commissioner to edit a team's stats (in private leagues). I am almost sure this can be done in Yahoo football. Ideally, I can draft on Saturday the 22nd and have the teams set their lineups right after the draft and yahoo scores Saturday-Sunday automatically. Alternatively, I can draft on Saturday and have teams set their lineups off-site, and then I could go in an input the stats.
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 19)

Postby TheTrith » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:53 am

RedTiger wrote:Hi Genie, I have two main suggestions that I think would be relatively easy to implement relative to their value.

Yahoo already does this. 5 games started or 10 appearances at a position locks in eligibility for the following season.
The only time Yahoo has had any issues with eligibility is when the player (generally prospects) did not appear in the minimum games at any single position in the previous year.

If your issue is that you think 5/10 is too lenient then I guess thats up for debate. I dont see any problem since its been that way for as long as I can remember.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 282)

Postby RedTiger » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 pm

TheTrith wrote:
RedTiger wrote:Hi Genie, I have two main suggestions that I think would be relatively easy to implement relative to their value.

Yahoo already does this. 5 games started or 10 appearances at a position locks in eligibility for the following season.
The only time Yahoo has had any issues with eligibility is when the player (generally prospects) did not appear in the minimum games at any single position in the previous year.

If your issue is that you think 5/10 is too lenient then I guess thats up for debate. I dont see any problem since its been that way for as long as I can remember.

I don't know where it actually says that but I'll trust you. If so, Brett Lawrie would be in line for 2B eligibility and that's a joke
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:12 am

RedTiger wrote:
TheTrith wrote:

I don't know where it actually says that but I'll trust you. If so, Brett Lawrie would be in line for 2B eligibility and that's a joke

It's been that way for as long as they've had fantasy baseball as far as I know...at least I know it's been that way for the last 10+ years. But yeah, I believe they are probably the most lenient of the major websites with their 5 games started or 10 games played rule.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:34 pm

RedTiger wrote:
TheTrith wrote:

It says it here.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby RedTiger » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:15 pm

The link actually says the following about initial eligibility:

"At the beginning of the Fantasy Baseball season, Yahoo Sports placed all players into positions, based partially on information from official MLB rosters but focusing mainly on past performance. Some players appear in multiple position lists and are eligible to fill any of those positions."

From that, I have been assuming this whole time that Yahoo does not adhere strictly to the 10/5 rule to determine initial eligibility.
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:16 pm

RedTiger wrote:The link actually says the following about initial eligibility:

"At the beginning of the Fantasy Baseball season, Yahoo Sports placed all players into positions, based partially on information from official MLB rosters but focusing mainly on past performance. Some players appear in multiple position lists and are eligible to fill any of those positions."

From that, I have been assuming this whole time that Yahoo does not adhere strictly to the 10/5 rule to determine initial eligibility.

Initial eligibility can sometimes be a crap shoot for rookies(as TheTrith pointed out earlier)...such as the Wil Myers case of being a catcher for so long and then transitioning late to being an outfielder but still having catcher eligibility when he makes his debut, though I think they ended up taking the catcher eligibility away before the season started or something, don't remember, but, if a player has enough games played(in the majors) at a position to be within the 10/5 rule then he'll quality at that/those positions. Even if "said" player was only a thirdbasemen last year but it's known before the season starts this year that he'll be the regular everyday secondbasemen for this new team, he won't get 2B eligibility until he meets 5 starts or 10 games played at 2B....and at the same time he'll keep 3B eligibility all year even if he never steps foot at 3B this year.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers