Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby wrveres » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:As for Google, if they created a sports site, I trust it would satisfy that ideal format:

http://news.google.com/?topic=s
that made me chuckle. Same design.

Maybe if Yahoo was "full page" it wouldn't look so horrible right now
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:34 pm

wrveres wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:As for Google, if they created a sports site, I trust it would satisfy that ideal format:

that made me chuckle. Same design.

Maybe if Yahoo was "full page" it wouldn't look so horrible right now

Similar...except, black text on white background. Also I was referring to the search engine.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby wrveres » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:52 pm

West wrote:Similar...except, black text on white background.
agreed.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:10 am

I doubt it would look anything like that. The fact that Google's standard news format looks the same as Yahoo's custom designed sports pages, which have dedicated pages for each sport and have an enormous userbase, is pretty pathetic. From looking around the web, it seems that Yahoo has done a good deal of copying other websites, though. Especially on mobile, they pretty much just did a half-assed copypasta of other popular providers. They had the substance part down pretty good before thsi overhaul, they shouldn't have scrapped it entirely in a vain attempt at copying the style of other popular websites.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Skin Blues wrote:

I doubt it would look anything like that. The fact that Google's standard news format looks the same as Yahoo's custom designed sports pages, which have dedicated pages for each sport and have an enormous userbase, is pretty pathetic. From looking around the web, it seems that Yahoo has done a good deal of copying other websites, though. Especially on mobile, they pretty much just did a half-assed copypasta of other popular providers. They had the substance part down pretty good before thsi overhaul, they shouldn't have scrapped it entirely in a vain attempt at copying the style of other popular websites.

Imitation is not necessarily a bad thing. UI design is prone to trends and schools of thought; yesterday it was skeumorphism and today, it's Dieter Rams-inspired minimalism and flat design. There's a lot to learn from "successful" designs. Sometimes, that entails taking the same components from a successful design, but improving upon it, which is normally the most difficult part. Many designs aren't entirely original; they're just iterations of something else, for better or worse.

If you're talking about in-browser websites on mobile phones, the design constraints are more stringent to the point many sites share some similarity on mobile. I happen to like the new Yahoo Sports on mobile phones, since the medium tends to force the designer(s) to create a cleaner layout.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby West » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Can we just delete the 83 pages of blah blah blah and skeumorphism and just put in 82 point font:

MAKE THE TEXT BLACK AND THE BACKGROUND WHITE PLEASE

Hey, how easy is this to read? Can I could work for Yahoo if I keep this up?
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:24 am

I guess I'm in the minority that prefers white text on a dark background. It's easier on my eyes. However that's about the only thing that isn't terrible with the new format.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bixo9 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:40 pm

AdvRider wrote:
Mortician wrote:The darkening of the zeros on the stat areas of the page is a definite plus in helping to read and scan through stats in the new visual format. Very good improvement!
;-D

Wow, I completely disagree with that. It's annoying the bejeepers out of me. In fact it's the reason I'm visiting this thread, to highlight that very issue.

I don't know about others, but my mind does not automatically interpret a gray spot as a '0.' If it's a 0 -- tell me it's a 0! Show me it's a 0! To me, NOT showing a 0 is counterintuitive and makes the user do a little mental processing to apprehend the data. The last thing I want to do is more mental processing.

If there's a column or row of 0s in a pitcher's game log for ER BB or what have you, I want that data to pop out at me -- not be obscured. Another thumbs down. :-t

I would agree w/ AdvRider. That darkening zeros is good. Too many zeros is distracting. For example, I hate looking at all the zeros and dashes on the iPhone app on the My Team and Matchup pages. Wish that Yahoo would darken those zeros.

And why does the Andriod app show fantasy points while the iPhone app does not show fantasy points on the Matchup Page?
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby boredguy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:04 pm

While i'm probably one of the few here that play fantasy hockey the way they show opponent now (team and time under the player) instead of having a seperate column for it makes setting the roster a pain. If a player has a game that day or not is very important info and you should be able to tell at a glance not have to hunt around to see it. It's not so bad for football since you only have to look for the occasional bye but it's gonna suck for baseball next year as well on Mon and Thurs.
boredguy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Yup, it's very hard to tell who is playing each day. It really needs to have it's own dedicated column.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers