Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby bixo9 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:28 am

Another high five for Yahoo!

For using the team images instead of the user's profile on the Overview page in the sections All Updates, Smack Talk, etc.

A small change with a big effect, because consistency of the images is easier for users to process info.

Hopefully, the Recent Transactions section is also changed to the team's images soon.

PS
I like the All Time tab too. Is it possible to update a past team's image, because there are the default exclamation mark images in lieu of the custom images?

;-D
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:07 am

bixo9 wrote:Another high five for Yahoo!

For using the team images instead of the user's profile on the Overview page in the sections All Updates, Smack Talk, etc.

A small change with a big effect, because consistency of the images is easier for users to process info.

Hopefully, the Recent Transactions section is also changed to the team's images soon.

PS
I like the All Time tab too. Is it possible to update a past team's image, because there are the default exclamation mark images in lieu of the custom images?

;-D

Team vs. user images really are different things, and always should be appropriate in context. A team adds a player; it doesn't matter who actually pushed the button. A user posts a message to the message board; it often does matter who did that. So I don't think the best answer is having team images *everywhere*. But everything in the All Updates section could/should be team specific. I'd also agree with you that I don't see harm in having the Transactions module use team images; I *think* everything that shows up there is really more particular to a team than a user.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Something strange is going on with smack talk and trading block posts. Everything anyone posts is showing up as "said' by the commissioner. This is happening in multiple leagues. Any clue?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Ugh...so now they have the main Yahoo Sports page updated to a new layout....I generally don't care, change doesn't bother me....but....this Sucks! WAYYYY to much going on it's hard to focus on it and even look at it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby byfrcp » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:03 pm

I rarely come to this site anymore, but just had to today because I know the Genie still frequents around here.

The new layout for the Sports site and Fantasy Football is just absolutely atrocious. Dark colors on top of dark colors, font overlapping player photos, removal of important info such as Batter vs Tonights pitcher. It is just a complete and utter mess. It has also made things almost un-clickable on my smart phone. I try to click team and end up in draft central etc...

Please, please, please tell me someone just made a huge mistake and this new layout is not going to stay.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bwanna » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:50 pm

J35J wrote:Ugh...so now they have the main Yahoo Sports page updated to a new layout....I generally don't care, change doesn't bother me....but....this Sucks! WAYYYY to much going on it's hard to focus on it and even look at it.

+1 :-P %-6
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby TheTrith » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:31 pm

The new player pages are horrible.
Was there any kind of testing or did anyone look at the layout before they went live?
The layout is awful, background is distracting, text is difficult to read, mouse scrolling does not work, and they take forever to load.
Even clicking and dragging the scroll bars does not work properly. There is a huge lag between mouse input and page action.

The old layout was perfectly acceptable. Why take a step backwards?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 288)

Postby TheTrith » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Example of poor layout:
(1) The link to season game log is not even visible on the page if you scroll down far enough to view the past 10 games.
Why isnt that link directly above?

(2) The background is blue which is generally awful by itself. Dark colored background with text on top does not work well. But to make matters worse, the links to view box scores are also blue (blue on blue, realy?), even though most other links on the page are white. Why?

(3) The bottom line of the "Last 10 games" section shows totals. Why would you put season totals right there when they are already listed at the very top of the page in huge font? If anything just put totals for the past 10 games (since that section says Last 10 Games) or something more useful like options for past week/2weeks/month etc.

(4) Less than half of the screen is dedicated to the actual player stats.
Why do we need side bars on both sides of the actual player page with links to things that are not relevant to the player in question. Anyone who clicks on the player page is obviously looking for info on THAT player. Not other news or other random sports.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 288)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:44 pm

This is a new design template Yahoo is using on their other sites:

http://mashable.com/2013/08/27/yahoo-st ... source=rss

It looks acceptable for every site but the Yahoo Sports page. The new design is OK, and at least half of the problem of the current design would be solved with a less obstructive background (Yahoo News is a decent layout). A slightly darkened and blurred background picture of a stadium doesn't blend well when most of the pictures would have a backdrop of a crowd or stadium too. The textual overlays would have to be less transparent and the text slightly larger for easier reading. The background motif works well for Yahoo Weather with informative graphics and less text, but not for Yahoo Sports which involves more information to be presented with less space to work with.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby dannahann » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Came on to YAHOO to do one very simple task, something I've done 100s of times in the past when I've had 2 decent options to start at the same position and that is to look and see how a batter has fared versus today's opposing SP historically. That info simply isn't available in the new layout. All I can see is how they've done in 2013 (maybe 2012 too as it's available, but it doesn't work when you click it). Any way we can see the old layout???
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers