Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby collective » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 am

swcarter wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't like the new header that's appearing on all of Yahoo's sports pages? All these "navigational aids" do is waste over an inch of my browser window. I looked around for an options page, but I didn't see anything. Does anybody know if there's a way to get rid of the header?

SWC

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/173978
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby collective » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:09 am

Skin Blues wrote:I don't know how to use that, but it seems like it'd do the trick. How exactly would I implement it?

• ALT + F11
  • Right click on VBAProject and select "Insert | Module"
  • Cut-and-paste the code into the window that says "Module1 (Code)"
  • Back in Excel, if A1 has the name that you want to change in a new column to paste the new data and put in =CheckStringCHAR(A1)
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Awesome, thanks!
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Postby bixo9 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Is there any way Yahoo could stop using all of those accents over the letters for player names? If people don't know how to pronounce Jose Fernandez then a bunch of weird lines over the letters isn't really gonna help them. A lot of the time they aren't even correct, and it makes it a pain to update rosters in an excel file. I think I've seen Eric Sogard's name fluctuate to and from "Eric Sogórd"/"Éric Sogord"/"Eric Sogard" this season.

Fully agree!

A week ago, I thought Yahoo did not have Carlos Martínez from STL in their database, because I had searched via the mobile app for Martinez and nothing came up. Realized a few days later that I had to search with the specific characters. Ugh.

Troublesome, because I don't know, and assume a significant number of users don't know how/when to use these characters. Then, it seems inconsistent per the Sogord example, and another Carlos Martinez spelled differently.

E.g. Carlos Martinez from MIA and then Carlos Martínez from STL.

AND the auto populate feature does not work on the Desktop app when searching for "Mart". But, if I type Martinez, then a whole bunch of Martinezes show up regardless of these characters. Again, inconsistent.

P.S. The characters are problematic when I write some VBA scripts, or want to lookup names across datasets from other sources. But that never led me to raise this as complaint since it's specialized task likely done by a minority of users. Thanks for that script, collective.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby Bwanna » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:45 pm

collective wrote:
swcarter wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't like the new header that's appearing on all of Yahoo's sports pages? All these "navigational aids" do is waste over an inch of my browser window. I looked around for an options page, but I didn't see anything. Does anybody know if there's a way to get rid of the header?

SWC

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/173978

Before you enable the script, select 'Suggestions' from the gear icon on the far right and vote:
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 324)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:57 pm

bixo9 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Is there any way Yahoo could stop using all of those accents over the letters for player names? If people don't know how to pronounce Jose Fernandez then a bunch of weird lines over the letters isn't really gonna help them. A lot of the time they aren't even correct, and it makes it a pain to update rosters in an excel file. I think I've seen Eric Sogard's name fluctuate to and from "Eric Sogórd"/"Éric Sogord"/"Eric Sogard" this season.

Fully agree!

A week ago, I thought Yahoo did not have Carlos Martínez from STL in their database, because I had searched via the mobile app for Martinez and nothing came up. Realized a few days later that I had to search with the specific characters. Ugh.

Troublesome, because I don't know, and assume a significant number of users don't know how/when to use these characters. Then, it seems inconsistent per the Sogord example, and another Carlos Martinez spelled differently.

E.g. Carlos Martinez from MIA and then Carlos Martínez from STL.

AND the auto populate feature does not work on the Desktop app when searching for "Mart". But, if I type Martinez, then a whole bunch of Martinezes show up regardless of these characters. Again, inconsistent.

P.S. The characters are problematic when I write some VBA scripts, or want to lookup names across datasets from other sources. But that never led me to raise this as complaint since it's specialized task likely done by a minority of users. Thanks for that script, collective.

Much of what you are describing here are actual problems. The extra (correct) accents should only be for display. When searching and so on, you shouldn't need to type the special characters. That was broken for a long time, then fixed for a long time. Perhaps someone broke it again, and that's bad. I'll pass that on.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 93)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Minor point, but why are my basketball teams still showing up on my team list? Usually (it seems) teams for a particular sport get 'archived' and removed from the default list shortly after that sport's championship.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 274)

Postby bixo9 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:18 am

Genie -

* = clinched playoff spot

Cool if we have similar superscripts, below.

x = eliminated
b = clinched bye week
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bixo9 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Would be nice to have Points Against and Streak that's in football standings for baseball baseball standings too. :)
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bixo9 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:20 am

Huge high five for Yahoo in getting the team icons on the Standings.

Now, fix the Rivalry formatting bug in the Schedule tab. ;-D
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers