Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:34 pm

collective wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I just got back, and learned what happened.

The intent was to add a few people into the game ASAP (presumably including Urrutia). I was out of town on vacation, as was another key guy. So a relatively new engineer tried to figure out how to do it. And mostly did an admirable job of figuring it out, but missed an important detail, causing a window of time when Urrutia would have appeared as a free agent before going onto waivers.

Human error. Our bad. At this point we can only offer apologies, and I can assure you that the guy in question now better understands how this works. It isn't a bug that can repeat itself.

Interesting... In one of my leagues he is on waivers until the 23rd but in two others he was available immediately...

Without being able to look, I'd guess that the league where he went straight to waivers almost has to be using continuous waivers.

Someone else asked if we can determine who is in the game, and the answer is... it depends. Without going into too much detail, each player eventually has a unique ID. If a player has a unique ID, we can force them into the game on our own. You can see the players that are only in the game because we forced them by going to:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/showforced

Now. Sometimes a guy is interesting, but the provider has not yet given him a player ID. When this happens, we can ask them to please assign the player such a number. Sometimes/often they say yes and do so. But not always; for example, they are not willing to do so for all 40 man rosters.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Half of the problems I see people complaining about could be solved by going to a new provider, or doing some kind of internal development to maintain player databases on your own. Obviously that's easier said than done, but something has to give. A company that big shouldn't have issues like this just because it's key engineer is on vacation, which is what seems to be the cause of these last few incidents. Can't they make like, 5 clones of you or something?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Half of the problems I see people complaining about could be solved by going to a new provider, or doing some kind of internal development to maintain player databases on your own. Obviously that's easier said than done, but something has to give. A company that big shouldn't have issues like this just because it's key engineer is on vacation, which is what seems to be the cause of these last few incidents. Can't they make like, 5 clones of you or something?

As much as it might make me feel good if all the problems were solved when I was around, much of that has really been coincidence. This problem is unusual in that regard.

As for the provider, as with half of the problems people complain about here (at least), "that's easier said than done" is really the answer. There are very few sources in the world for the data we need, and it isn't cheap to buy or do yourself. When people say, "You should spin up your own data provider, and I don't want to pay to play.", things start to break down.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:There are very few sources in the world for the data we need, and it isn't cheap to buy or do yourself. When people say, "You should spin up your own data provider, and I don't want to pay to play.", things start to break down.

Almost all of Yahoo's revenue comes from advertising. Billions and billions every year. Google has shown that business model can be pretty successful. You take it out of one pocket or the other, either way they get paid. The free fantasy baseball business model is far more lucrative than any pay-to-play service. How much profit does Yahoo/ESPN make from fantasy sports versus the NFBC or CBS?? It shouldn't be that hard to monetize a service that has/had such a huge market share and daily web traffic. Again, easier said than done, I know. But pretending that people aren't valuable customers just because they don't pay cash up front doesn't really help.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:There are very few sources in the world for the data we need, and it isn't cheap to buy or do yourself. When people say, "You should spin up your own data provider, and I don't want to pay to play.", things start to break down.

Almost all of Yahoo's revenue comes from advertising. Billions and billions every year. Google has shown that business model can be pretty successful. You take it out of one pocket or the other, either way they get paid. The free fantasy baseball business model is far more lucrative than any pay-to-play service. How much profit does Yahoo/ESPN make from fantasy sports versus the NFBC or CBS?? It shouldn't be that hard to monetize a service that has/had such a huge market share and daily web traffic. Again, easier said than done, I know. But pretending that people aren't valuable customers just because they don't pay cash up front doesn't really help.

You could read that into my response, but it certainly doesn't reflect my opinion or intentions. Of course our customers are valuable. But again, this is all easier said than done, particularly with insight into how much money we bring in, how we bring it in, what it would cost to spin up our own stats service, etc. etc.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KELLYLEAK » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
KELLYLEAK wrote:This is only my 2nd time doing fantasy baseball. I did one a few years ago. One thing that drove me nuts was when I was preparing for the draft I used yahoo's rankings- trying to figure out which round who would be my target players. i did this many times during March to get ready. Went out to Vegas for March Madness- had a tough past year & needed to get away. Anyway I came back two days before the draft feeling really prepared and yahoo fricken dramatically changed their rankings on me. I pretty much had to start all over again 2 days before the draft- not good. That would be my suggestion.

But... but...

Either I am not understanding, or I'd have to respectfully decline. We get complaints *all the time* that we don't update our O-Ranks frequently enough. If the suggestion is that we should freeze our rankings and not change them, even though the world moves on and things do change, I can't say that would be a good idea. We can't let the rankings sit in a state we know is suboptimal for a reason like this. The premise here seems to be that you were trusting our rankings, but you are unhappy that we tried to improve them. Is there something I am missing?

I guess my point was it would have been better if the rankings were updated consistently like every week or not updated at all. I was trying to figure out when players were going to be picked and several players i could realistically target each round- best and worst case scenarios.

I think these subjective rankings can definitely affect when players go since it's the first thing seen on the screen. For example if our league was on ESPN and used an ESPN list, a player I'm targeting might go several rounds later based purely on where he's ranked on that list as opposed to where he's ranked on a yahoo list. It just caught me by surprise like two days before the draft (for ex. Cespedes went from a middle 5th rounder to an early 3rd rounder two days before our draft and i had to start over again, some of this was due to being a relatively newcomer to fantasy baseball. Maybe others on here were expecting the change in rankings in late March.

Overall though i think yahoo has done a good job so far.
KELLYLEAK Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Is there any way Yahoo could stop using all of those accents over the letters for player names? If people don't know how to pronounce Jose Fernandez then a bunch of weird lines over the letters isn't really gonna help them. A lot of the time they aren't even correct, and it makes it a pain to update rosters in an excel file. I think I've seen Eric Sogard's name fluctuate to and from "Eric Sogórd"/"Éric Sogord"/"Eric Sogard" this season.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby collective » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Is there any way Yahoo could stop using all of those accents over the letters for player names? If people don't know how to pronounce Jose Fernandez then a bunch of weird lines over the letters isn't really gonna help them. A lot of the time they aren't even correct, and it makes it a pain to update rosters in an excel file. I think I've seen Eric Sogard's name fluctuate to and from "Eric Sogórd"/"Éric Sogord"/"Eric Sogard" this season.

I just use this...

Code: Select all
Private Function CheckStringCHAR(InString) As String

' CheckStringCHAR(InString)
' Returns its passed agrument, but with exchanged European? characters
' Function created 7/08/2003 by Stanley D. Grom, Jr.
'
CheckStringCHAR = ""
StringLength = Len(InString)

For i = 1 To StringLength

SearchCHAR = Mid(InString, i, 1)

Select Case SearchCHAR
        Case "Š"                ' 138
            FoundCHAR = "S"
        Case "Ž"                ' 142
            FoundCHAR = "Z"
        Case "š"                ' 154
            FoundCHAR = "s"
        Case "ž"                ' 158
            FoundCHAR = "z"
        Case "Ÿ"                ' 159
            FoundCHAR = "Y"
        Case "À"                ' 192
            FoundCHAR = "A"
        Case "Á"                ' 193
            FoundCHAR = "A"
        Case "Â"                ' 194
            FoundCHAR = "A"
        Case "Ã"                ' 195
            FoundCHAR = "A"
        Case "Ä"                ' 196
            FoundCHAR = "A"
        Case "Å"                ' 197
            FoundCHAR = "A"
        Case "Ç"                ' 199
            FoundCHAR = "C"
        Case "È"                ' 200
            FoundCHAR = "E"
        Case "É"                ' 201
            FoundCHAR = "E"
        Case "Ê"                ' 202
            FoundCHAR = "E"
        Case "Ë"                ' 203
            FoundCHAR = "E"
        Case "Ì"                ' 204
            FoundCHAR = "I"
        Case "Í"                ' 205
            FoundCHAR = "I"
        Case "Î"                ' 206
            FoundCHAR = "I"
        Case "Ï"                ' 207
            FoundCHAR = "I"
        Case "Ñ"                ' 209
            FoundCHAR = "N"
        Case "Ò"                ' 210
            FoundCHAR = "O"
        Case "Ó"                ' 211
            FoundCHAR = "O"
        Case "Ô"                ' 212
            FoundCHAR = "O"
        Case "Õ"                ' 213
            FoundCHAR = "O"
        Case "Ö"                ' 214
            FoundCHAR = "O"
        Case "Ù"                ' 217
            FoundCHAR = "U"
        Case "Ú"                ' 218
            FoundCHAR = "U"
        Case "Û"                ' 219
            FoundCHAR = "U"
        Case "Ü"                ' 220
            FoundCHAR = "U"
        Case "Ý"                ' 221
            FoundCHAR = "Y"
        Case "à"                ' 224
            FoundCHAR = "a"
        Case "á"                ' 225
            FoundCHAR = "a"
        Case "â"                ' 226
            FoundCHAR = "a"
        Case "ã"                ' 227
            FoundCHAR = "a"
        Case "ä"                ' 228
            FoundCHAR = "a"
        Case "å"                ' 229
            FoundCHAR = "a"
        Case "ç"                ' 231
            FoundCHAR = "c"
        Case "è"                ' 232
            FoundCHAR = "e"
        Case "é"                ' 233
            FoundCHAR = "e"
        Case "ê"                ' 234
            FoundCHAR = "e"
        Case "ë"                ' 235
            FoundCHAR = "e"
        Case "ì"                ' 236
            FoundCHAR = "i"
        Case "í"                ' 237
            FoundCHAR = "i"
        Case "î"                ' 238
            FoundCHAR = "i"
        Case "ï"                ' 239
            FoundCHAR = "i"
        Case "ð"                ' 240
            FoundCHAR = "o"
        Case "ñ"                ' 241
            FoundCHAR = "n"
        Case "ò"                ' 242
            FoundCHAR = "o"
        Case "ó"                ' 243
            FoundCHAR = "o"
        Case "ô"                ' 244
            FoundCHAR = "o"
        Case "õ"                ' 245
            FoundCHAR = "o"
        Case "ö"                ' 246
            FoundCHAR = "o"
        Case "ù"                ' 249
            FoundCHAR = "u"
        Case "ú"                ' 250
            FoundCHAR = "u"
        Case "û"                ' 251
            FoundCHAR = "u"
        Case "ü"                ' 252
            FoundCHAR = "u"
        Case "ý"                ' 253
            FoundCHAR = "y"
        Case "ÿ"                ' 255
            FoundCHAR = "y"
        Case Else
            FoundCHAR = SearchCHAR
    End Select

CheckStringCHAR = CheckStringCHAR & FoundCHAR

Next i

End Function
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:29 pm

I don't know how to use that, but it seems like it'd do the trick. How exactly would I implement it?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby swcarter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Am I the only person who doesn't like the new header that's appearing on all of Yahoo's sports pages? All these "navigational aids" do is waste over an inch of my browser window. I looked around for an options page, but I didn't see anything. Does anybody know if there's a way to get rid of the header?

SWC
swcarter
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers