Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:40 am

jnormy wrote:Wondering why the two players added to the Yahoo universe on July 19 -- Henry Urrutia and Junior Lake -- didn't go through the usual waiver process. Someone else grabbed Urrutia right away before I could, but I thought I'd have a chance to put a waiver claim on him. Why did these guys go right to FA status? (And to add to the mystery, Doug Bernier, who was added two days prior to these guys, is STILL on waivers.) What's going on?

Agreed. Henry Urrutia is an actionable event in my 20 team dynasty league. He was snagged a couple hours ago. Any way to fix this?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheTrith » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 am

So how does Yahoo determine which and when prospects are added to the system? (I'm talking about guys who have not yet debuted in MLB)
Tons of guys are in the data base who will have zero MLB impact this season, yet there are several big time prospects who are going to be up this year that are not available. Archie Bradley comes immediately to mind.

I would hope its not based solely on whether or not a player is on the 40 man roster, becasue this is fantasy. We dont give a crap about who is on or off the real life roster - we only care, and therefore Yahoo should only care, about when a given prospect will be in MLB.
Somebody in one of my league told me that was the case, but I really hope Yahoo uses much more sound reasoning than that.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 308)

Postby daullaz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:13 pm

TheTrith wrote:So how does Yahoo determine which and when prospects are added to the system? (I'm talking about guys who have not yet debuted in MLB)
Tons of guys are in the data base who will have zero MLB impact this season, yet there are several big time prospects who are going to be up this year that are not available. Archie Bradley comes immediately to mind.

I would hope its not based solely on whether or not a player is on the 40 man roster, becasue this is fantasy. We dont give a crap about who is on or off the real life roster - we only care, and therefore Yahoo should only care, about when a given prospect will be in MLB.
Somebody in one of my league told me that was the case, but I really hope Yahoo uses much more sound reasoning than that.

As I believe Genie has said in the past, Yahoo doesn't have control over when players are added to the database. That's done by the stats provider with whom Yahoo contracts. So it's not like the Yahoo brass have a weekly meeting to decide whether it's the right time to add guys like Archie Bradley to their database. They just have to play with the cards they are dealt.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby TheTrith » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:01 pm

In that case, perhaps they should pay for a new deck that isnt missing any aces?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby collective » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:21 pm

jnormy wrote:Wondering why the two players added to the Yahoo universe on July 19 -- Henry Urrutia and Junior Lake -- didn't go through the usual waiver process. Someone else grabbed Urrutia right away before I could, but I thought I'd have a chance to put a waiver claim on him. Why did these guys go right to FA status? (And to add to the mystery, Doug Bernier, who was added two days prior to these guys, is STILL on waivers.) What's going on?

Exactly, why was Urrutia available immediately but not Lake?

Nice work...

:-t
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 8)

Postby collective » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Any explanation on the Urrutia debacle?
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:56 pm

collective wrote:Any explanation on the Urrutia debacle?

Fantasy Sports Genie on 07/12 wrote:This is as good a place as any to note that I am again on vacation next week. So if you have any problems that need prompt attention, please go through our customer care channels.

Not sure if he's still on Vaca or not, but if you need an immediate answer you may want to contact Yahoo themselves.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:14 pm

I just got back, and learned what happened.

The intent was to add a few people into the game ASAP (presumably including Urrutia). I was out of town on vacation, as was another key guy. So a relatively new engineer tried to figure out how to do it. And mostly did an admirable job of figuring it out, but missed an important detail, causing a window of time when Urrutia would have appeared as a free agent before going onto waivers.

Human error. Our bad. At this point we can only offer apologies, and I can assure you that the guy in question now better understands how this works. It isn't a bug that can repeat itself.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby TheTrith » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks for clarifying Genie. Appreciate the extra time you put in here.

So does Yahoo have any input on which players are added and when that occurs? Or is it 100% decided by your stat provider?
If not, is it possible that Yahoo has more say in the player data base in the future?
It seems like the people who work on and use the product on a daily basis (yourself and your co-workers for example) have a much better grasp on who is/will be fantasy relevant in the near future than the provider does.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer questions here ;-D
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby collective » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I just got back, and learned what happened.

The intent was to add a few people into the game ASAP (presumably including Urrutia). I was out of town on vacation, as was another key guy. So a relatively new engineer tried to figure out how to do it. And mostly did an admirable job of figuring it out, but missed an important detail, causing a window of time when Urrutia would have appeared as a free agent before going onto waivers.

Human error. Our bad. At this point we can only offer apologies, and I can assure you that the guy in question now better understands how this works. It isn't a bug that can repeat itself.

Interesting... In one of my leagues he is on waivers until the 23rd but in two others he was available immediately...
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers