Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby JCD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:20 pm

daullaz wrote:
JCD wrote:@ FS Genie
Can't make any adds, or activate player without dropping Michael Pineda, who's been transferred by Yahoo to N/A instead of staying on DL where he belongs.

He doesn't belong on DL because he's not on DL. /problemfixed

:-t

he was placed on DL
never been activated
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/?tc ... &year=2013
JCD
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:55 pm

JCD wrote:
daullaz wrote:
JCD wrote:@ FS Genie
Can't make any adds, or activate player without dropping Michael Pineda, who's been transferred by Yahoo to N/A instead of staying on DL where he belongs.

He doesn't belong on DL because he's not on DL. /problemfixed

:-t

he was placed on DL
never been activated
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/?tc ... &year=2013

:-t :-t

New York Yankees optioned RHP Michael Pineda to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/?tc ... eam_id=147

This doesn't explicitly say "activated from DL" because he wasn't ever put on the active roster. The team didn't want to carry him on the 25-man roster yet, so he was optioned at the end of the rehab assignment. You only get a limited number of days on a rehab assignment, so they either had to put him on the 25-man or option him. Remaining on the DL wasn't an option, so he was activated and immediately optioned without the team having to clear a 25-man spot. If you look at the Yankees' injury page on MLB.com, you'll see no mention of Pineda, because he's not on the DL.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/injuries/
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby KELLYLEAK » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:53 am

This is only my 2nd time doing fantasy baseball. I did one a few years ago. One thing that drove me nuts was when I was preparing for the draft I used yahoo's rankings- trying to figure out which round who would be my target players. i did this many times during March to get ready. Went out to Vegas for March Madness- had a tough past year & needed to get away. Anyway I came back two days before the draft feeling really prepared and yahoo fricken dramatically changed their rankings on me. I pretty much had to start all over again 2 days before the draft- not good. That would be my suggestion.
KELLYLEAK Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:01 am

KELLYLEAK wrote:This is only my 2nd time doing fantasy baseball. I did one a few years ago. One thing that drove me nuts was when I was preparing for the draft I used yahoo's rankings- trying to figure out which round who would be my target players. i did this many times during March to get ready. Went out to Vegas for March Madness- had a tough past year & needed to get away. Anyway I came back two days before the draft feeling really prepared and yahoo fricken dramatically changed their rankings on me. I pretty much had to start all over again 2 days before the draft- not good. That would be my suggestion.

But... but...

Either I am not understanding, or I'd have to respectfully decline. We get complaints *all the time* that we don't update our O-Ranks frequently enough. If the suggestion is that we should freeze our rankings and not change them, even though the world moves on and things do change, I can't say that would be a good idea. We can't let the rankings sit in a state we know is suboptimal for a reason like this. The premise here seems to be that you were trusting our rankings, but you are unhappy that we tried to improve them. Is there something I am missing?
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:39 am

He wants them to not change so he can plan his exploitations weeks in advance of the draft without having to modify his plan. This is an idea that benefits very few people.

Now, one thing I'd like to see, which would be a major overhaul so is not likely to happen, would be to have the standings page update in real-time. Basically I don't want to have to wait 5 minutes for StatTracker to load in a separate window. I know it's a minor thing but I check the standings every day, and I imagine a lot of people do, so it adds up over the course of a season. It's enough of a hassle to deal with stat tracker that I just completely avoid it most of the time. Maybe something to just keep on the back-burner for the future.

And I mentioned this a couple times earlier in the thread, but having conditional FAAB bids is important for a serious league. This is how I explained it last time:

Skin Blues wrote:If I want to add two players, I'd need to have the claims for the second guy be conditional. ie:

Bid $3 on Edwin Jackson dropping Jake McGee
Bid $1 on Tommy Hanson dropping Jake McGee
Bid $1 on Tommy Hanson dropping David Hernandez

And so on, for maybe a handful of guys I'd like to add. The way it's actually set up, I can only make one claim for Tommy Hanson. So if I want to bid on Hanson, I have to commit to dropping Hernandez. But I could very easily still have Jake McGee if somebody else outbids me on Edwin. I can't possibly imagine this is by design. Will it be changed any time in the near future?

This would be pretty easy to implement, and seems to have been an oversight when the system was designed.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:33 am

Skin Blues wrote:He wants them to not change so he can plan his exploitations weeks in advance of the draft without having to modify his plan. This is an idea that benefits very few people.

Now, one thing I'd like to see, which would be a major overhaul so is not likely to happen, would be to have the standings page update in real-time. Basically I don't want to have to wait 5 minutes for StatTracker to load in a separate window. I know it's a minor thing but I check the standings every day, and I imagine a lot of people do, so it adds up over the course of a season. It's enough of a hassle to deal with stat tracker that I just completely avoid it most of the time. Maybe something to just keep on the back-burner for the future.

And I mentioned this a couple times earlier in the thread, but having conditional FAAB bids is important for a serious league. This is how I explained it last time:

Skin Blues wrote:If I want to add two players, I'd need to have the claims for the second guy be conditional. ie:

Bid $3 on Edwin Jackson dropping Jake McGee
Bid $1 on Tommy Hanson dropping Jake McGee
Bid $1 on Tommy Hanson dropping David Hernandez

And so on, for maybe a handful of guys I'd like to add. The way it's actually set up, I can only make one claim for Tommy Hanson. So if I want to bid on Hanson, I have to commit to dropping Hernandez. But I could very easily still have Jake McGee if somebody else outbids me on Edwin. I can't possibly imagine this is by design. Will it be changed any time in the near future?

This would be pretty easy to implement, and seems to have been an oversight when the system was designed.

re: the standings page updating
It is more of a performance issue. For any one person it would be easy, but in volume it would be a large challenge. But we like those; it is on The List, and something we'd like to get to

re: conditional FAAB bids
So at some point I *know* somebody on our side went to implement it. I really thought he was done. So when you raised it, I started doing homework to figure out what happened to that feature. But I got pulled back onto other stuff before I figured it out.

This is as good a place as any to note that I am again on vacation next week. So if you have any problems that need prompt attention, please go through our customer care channels.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Postby bixo9 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 pm

A couple of thoughts on Week 15 and the All Star break for weekly leagues.

1. The weekly 3 am PST deadline is 4 days before the start of the Friday post All Star games. Deciding on starting pitchers is very difficult. My suggestion, for next year, would be to allow managers to update immediately before the Friday post All Star games.

2. It's odd having a long interruption in Week 15. I would prefer the short All-Star week precedes a full week. In other words, All Star week is a part of and beginning of Week 16, not a part of and the ending of Week 15.

P.S.
I like how Yahoo combines this short week into a longer week for H2H. 3 days of baseball is too short for a H2H matchup.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby collective » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:14 pm

bixo9 wrote:I like how Yahoo combines this short week into a longer week for H2H. 3 days of baseball is too short for a H2H matchup.

Been doing this for years.

bixo9 wrote: My suggestion, for next year, would be to allow managers to update immediately before the Friday post All Star games.

You questioning their coding skills?
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 7)

Postby bixo9 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:58 am

collective wrote:
bixo9 wrote:I like how Yahoo combines this short week into a longer week for H2H. 3 days of baseball is too short for a H2H matchup.

Been doing this for years.

I know it's been done for years. Providing positive feedback on the things that are done well is a good thing.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby jnormy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:21 am

Wondering why the two players added to the Yahoo universe on July 19 -- Henry Urrutia and Junior Lake -- didn't go through the usual waiver process. Someone else grabbed Urrutia right away before I could, but I thought I'd have a chance to put a waiver claim on him. Why did these guys go right to FA status? (And to add to the mystery, Doug Bernier, who was added two days prior to these guys, is STILL on waivers.) What's going on?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers