Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby EvSolo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:01 am

Also the message board needs an 'edit post' option. Very surprised there still isnt an option to do this
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm still lurking and reading your comments, just so nobody thinks you're spitting into the wind. Was letting the info flow in. Sometime soon I can do a mass response to clarify things I didn't understand, address things where I already have info I can share, and so on.

Thanks for all the input. It really does help us, which in turn eventually helps you.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby J35J » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Ender wrote:
J35J wrote:
I do not understand why people want all the information in one spot. To me the only thing this does is make it easier for the less informed owner or someone that doesn't want to do their own homework. I think it's GOOD to have some things(actually a lot of things) not so easily available...it's actually what separates good/informed/studied fantasy players from the run of the mill, who cares, I'm just playing to play owners. When all this stuff is so easily available and right there for anyone to see without doing their own homework it makes it difficult to separate yourself from everyone else....just my opinion.

It is personal preference. I want to win my league because I have better baseball instincts and I understand the game better, not because I know where to find the important stats. Centralize as much of the information as you can and make winning the league about using that information better than your opponent, not by having better information in the first place.

Oh yeah, agreed, I want this too but I also want you to get the information yourself, not have it all spoon fed to you.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby J35J » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:42 pm

J35J wrote:
Ender wrote:
J35J wrote:
I do not understand why people want all the information in one spot. To me the only thing this does is make it easier for the less informed owner or someone that doesn't want to do their own homework. I think it's GOOD to have some things(actually a lot of things) not so easily available...it's actually what separates good/informed/studied fantasy players from the run of the mill, who cares, I'm just playing to play owners. When all this stuff is so easily available and right there for anyone to see without doing their own homework it makes it difficult to separate yourself from everyone else....just my opinion.

It is personal preference. I want to win my league because I have better baseball instincts and I understand the game better, not because I know where to find the important stats. Centralize as much of the information as you can and make winning the league about using that information better than your opponent, not by having better information in the first place.

Oh yeah, agreed, I want this too but I also want you to get the information yourself, not have it all spoon fed to you.

I will say this is just me ranting though, the information is there and it isn't going away. IMHO, the more information that is all right there to be had makes the game more luck based than it was back 10-15 years ago. And it's not really that the information is there it's that it's already been pieced together and formulated out by the bloggers/writers on the front page of your fantasy website or on the front page of some other website or if you click this link then it shows everything you want to know about "this" or if you click that link then here is all the information you wanted to know about "that".
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Evolve or die. You have to find new ways to beat people after they've figured out why they were losing for the past 10-15 years. No sense trying to cling to how it used to be.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)

Postby JRRNeiklot » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:36 pm

I would like to see the option to join public keeper leagues.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby converge241 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Oh God yes, that reminds me. The ability to pick up a player on a Tuesday and use him on that same Tuesday. ESPN lets you use any player whose team's game hasn't started yet, but I'd even settle for before first pitch of the earliest game, or even a set deadline like noon EST or Pacific or whatever. If I have a start limit, and it's Sunday, and my pitcher gets scratched, I want to be able to try and grab somebody for a start, if I want, and so forth.

I believe that's a setting you can alter in each league (well each custom not sure on public) on yahoo
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30 pm

converge241 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Oh God yes, that reminds me. The ability to pick up a player on a Tuesday and use him on that same Tuesday. ESPN lets you use any player whose team's game hasn't started yet, but I'd even settle for before first pitch of the earliest game, or even a set deadline like noon EST or Pacific or whatever. If I have a start limit, and it's Sunday, and my pitcher gets scratched, I want to be able to try and grab somebody for a start, if I want, and so forth.

I believe that's a setting you can alter in each league (well each custom not sure on public) on yahoo

It's been 3 - 4 years since I've used Yahoo, so it may very well be possible now. I hope it is. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 373)

Postby bixo9 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:10 pm

J35J wrote:
J35J wrote:
Ender wrote:

I will say this is just me ranting though, the information is there and it isn't going away. IMHO, the more information that is all right there to be had makes the game more luck based than it was back 10-15 years ago. And it's not really that the information is there it's that it's already been pieced together and formulated out by the bloggers/writers on the front page of your fantasy website or on the front page of some other website or if you click this link then it shows everything you want to know about "this" or if you click that link then here is all the information you wanted to know about "that".

J35J, the objective of the following two points is to provide managers an user-friendly way of managing their rosters.
3. A list of all upcoming pitchers with 2 starts.
4. Indicate starting pitchers beyond the current 4 day forecast.

Remember that my context is a weekly league. Ultimately, I think it’s a deficiency that Yahoo cannot project a pitcher’s starts for the entire week. E.g. Ross Detwiller versus Clayton Kershaw or Dodger’s 4th/5th starter may sway a decision. Say Detwiller does pitch against Kershaw, but maybe his second start is against an Astros pitcher. This info on the roster page just helps manage a team.

Also, I think the caret ( ^ ) is a lousy indicator, because it’s difficult to see.

I am a commissioner for a 12–team league with a broad skill level, and their ability to spend time managing their teams. I like that diversity. But I dislike it when I lose managers, because their reasons are CBS Sports, ESPN, etc. is easier to manage.

P.S.

The roster cutoff time for a weekly league is the most pressing issue.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby bixo9 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Also, I think that Yahoo squeezed a Points format into a Roto format. I think fantasy baseball is unique, becuase of the two formats. For example, a Points league does not require a tabular format whereas Roto is determined per scoring category. I think Yahoo can get a streamlined interface for Points leagues.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 13)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers