Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby silverZ » Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 am

posty wrote:I know this was mentioned before, but it would be cool to be able to look for players just on the DL or listed as NA...

This. This so hard.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm

posty wrote:I know this was mentioned before, but it would be cool to be able to look for players just on the DL or listed as NA...

there is a way to see players just related to DL.
Players/ MLB Roster Changes/ Disabled List
that gives players on and off the DL.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 77)

Postby posty » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 am

SpecialFNK wrote:

there is a way to see players just related to DL.
Players/ MLB Roster Changes/ Disabled List
that gives players on and off the DL.

That is true, but it isn't that useful of a list...
Softball Supervisor

Postby rib217 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Is my league the only one who's message board is wiped clean? just tried to post and it doesnt show up.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby wrveres » Thu May 16, 2013 6:46 pm

no they all are. yahoo should have it fixed soon.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby GrubNasty » Thu May 16, 2013 9:19 pm

I've always wanted mulligans.

I think it would be cool to get a mulligan on someone I should of started, or should not have started. Make it an adjustable setting so leagues could use accordingly. I think h2h leagues would dismiss it, but roto would be easier to chalk it up to fun.

Hope it's not a repeat request but no time to churn through the50 pages.
GrubNasty
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bayside » Fri May 17, 2013 1:48 am

Genie, any chance we can get a Private Message feature for Yahoo leagues?

It would make trade talks much more productive, not to mention convenient.
As it stands now, the only way to discuss trades with owners who you dont know personally is by just sending out random offers and hoping they accept or counter. I know theres a place to write a message along with the trade offer, but theres no way to know if the other guy gets it, because unfortunately (1) it usually doesnt work properly, and (2) a lot of people rarely check their email they use for Yahoo Fantasy Sports.

Also in private leagues where just 1 or 2 owners know all the other owners personally, while the other guys night only know a couple of people, the owners who know more people have a distinct advantage when it comes to working out trades offline.

If PMs are introduced, along with a proper notification system, it would both equal the trading field and make things more productive for everyone.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby saemick » Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 am

Has anyone else been having problems adding people to your watch list? I can remove people from it, but can't seem to add anyone.
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed May 22, 2013 8:49 am

Genie, I have a question about the draft applet, for both baseball and football.

For whatever reason, it does not seem to work well with a wireless connection. This has been a pretty consistent problem for both myself and my leaguemates, and particularly when running an auction draft.

Intermittently, the applet will lose contact with one or more drafters and cause them to appear to the other drafters as autobidding/autopicking. Compounding the problem is that even if the draft loses contact with you for a split second, it will engage the autopick/autobid function. This year in my baseball auction, for example, one team who had gone heavily studs and scrubs inadvertently placed a 16 dollar bid (the entire remainder of their discretionary $2+ budget) on Aroldis Chapman. In previous years, I'd see teams that were disconnected momentarily auto-select players that they didn't want very early in their 90 second time slot. This seems only to be the case when drafting with a wireless connection as I've never personally experienced the problem while hardplugged into an ethernet chord.

I prefer playing Yahoo fantasy leagues to ESPN, but their draft applet does not have this same intermittent connectivity issue which I stress does NOT seem to be strictly linked to overall internet connectivity. I've actually gone so far as to set up a "dummy" league on ESPN so I can conduct the draft there and then input the results manually to my yahoo league using the "Offline Draft" functionality.

If I were to devise a solution to this problem, it would start with a setting that would prevent the autobid/autopick function from engaging until at least one "time out." That wouldn't solve the root problem of the intermittent connectivity, but it would at least fix the resultant unexpected autopick.

I know it isn't draft season now, but this particular problem has been something that has been affecting my fantasy leagues for the last several years and it seems like in at least one out of three drafts, someone ends up with a player that they did not want because they were using a wireless connection, lost applet connectivity momentarily, and autobid/autopicked a player they did not want.

It's hard to imagine that this problem hasn't already been noted/talked about, but it has been a persistent one for several years now and I wonder if it can be fixed.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed May 22, 2013 12:43 pm

I never like to dismiss customer concerns, and I feel your pain, but some of what you are describing just isn't how things work. Here is what I can tell you:

- The draft app doesn't know, and I really don't know how it would ever know, if you are on a wireless connection. All it knows is that it has a connection open to the draft server, and if that connection gets interrupted, you get disconnected. Most things you'd do over your wireless network don't need a persistent connection; the draft does. So it is very much tied to the reliability of a wireless network, and not just the fact that it is wireless.

- If it appears to people in your league that someone is autobidding/autopicking, they are. The only way a draft client ever shows you someone autobidding/autopicking is because the server says they did, and the server is the source of truth on this.

- The autopick behavior when disconnected is the same no matter what network you have. Either you are connected or you are not. The server has no idea what sort of network you have.

- 10 seconds is an important number for autopicking. If you are not connected, you will automatically pick after 10 seconds, automatically nominate after 10 seconds, and I believe automatically bid after 10 seconds. The one exception is if *nobody* is connected. If your draft is empty, then autopicks happen every second.

All that being said...
- The commish has access to pause and undo pick to help with untimely disconnects somewhat, but there are limits on how many times he can pause (and he must pause to undo picks)

- I noticed a comment in the code suggesting that the time we'd wait used to be more in earlier rounds, and less in later rounds, but at some point it was decided we should always do 10 seconds. I kinda like the old behavior better. Might be worth revisiting.

- The idea of letting your clock run out fully once is sort of interesting. I know people get very irritated if they have to sit there and watch missing people run the clock, but this might be an interesting compromise. I'd have to think about it.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers