Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Bwanna » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:A few quick questions/comments:

- For people that are unhappy about the layout changes, how many of you are being hit by the bug related to H2H record wrapping lines? That bug definitely makes the page too tall, and needs to be fixed. In the absence of that bug, I'm surprised if anything changed enough for you to care much.
- Clunky on mobile. I believe you, but I don't think our mobile web has ever been... a strength? Is the new layout markedly worse on mobile web? If so, what device/browser?
- Greasemonkey. I hear you, but we can't realistically avoid breaking Greasemonkey scripts. I can assure you there are *lots* of benefits to the new league home that you'll never appreciate directly, only indirectly. Faster page loads. Easier maintenance. Stuff like that. We can't refuse to improve our code because it might break Greasemonkey scripts. Even Bwanna would tell you that, I expect. In terms of doing what his scripts do, I regularly take (constructive) feedback from here and feed it into our development process. As for hiring Bwanna, he and I have talked. They were short discussions, since he lives far from our engineering organization and is not interested in relocating. That stopped any further discussions, really. Which makes this a handy place to again mention that we're hiring, if any of you are software engineers and might be interested.

If people have specific, constructive concerns about the new design of the league home, I can totally pass those on. If it is just, "It is terrible, put it back", then that isn't particularly helpful or actionable.

Truth.

Greasemonkey scripts can be helpful, but risky. I enjoy writing them when they help me see or do something faster, but everyone should understand the inherit risks of basing script code on fairly volatile HTML rendered by a large company like Yahoo.

Personally, I just want to get as much information about all of my leagues, players, etc. as fast as possible which is what most of my scripts help me do - more info in fewer clicks. BUT, some of the resulting output looks like crap, and I wouldn't expect Yahoo to implement it like I did.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppernob » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Bwanna wrote:Personally, I just want to get as much information about all of my leagues, players, etc. as fast as possible which is what most of my scripts help me do - more info in fewer clicks. BUT, some of the resulting output looks like crap, and I wouldn't expect Yahoo to implement it like I did.

And, unfortunately, Marissa won't let you work remotely.... (I loved your scripts)
Coppernob
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:38 pm

GRIN wrote:
I actually don't mind the new layout at all. I even think it's better on my aging eyes. :-)
this ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby posty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:58 pm

posty wrote:Hey Genie, is there ANY chance that there can be more than 50 players allowed on the watch list?

I play in a homer league where I can only have players on my team that have played for my team in the past or present and I easily max out the 50 player allotment... This doesn't sound like it would be a difficult change (assuming that it is a constant that can be modified)...

Any chance?

TIA

Bump??
Softball Supervisor

Postby bayside » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:52 am

After using the new page layout from a PC for a full day, I actually like it.
Seems like its "smoother transitioning" (I dont know what the proper programming terminology is), especially the popup menus when mousing over the tabs across the top.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bixo9 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:22 am

I like the alternating color rows, highlight my team's row, and bold the team in lead.

I think the following could be constructive.

[*] I recommend properly formatting numbers #,### e.g. 2345 would be 2,345.
[*] Display Team Images throughout. Maybe a small icons and mouse over to a bigger image. The transaction log shows team image instead of profile image.
[*] Display Points Against
[*] Display Games Back
[*] Hide the tie column while there are no ties. Ties just clutter.
[*] Indicate playoff status such as eliminated teams, bye week teams.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby West » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Would it be possible to make an option to x out or eliminate the "League Notes" at the top of the page? I mean they are basically completely useless for any person that has played for more than one year. This is what I'm talking about:

League Notes

The Yahoo! Sports Help Community forums are live! Find out what it's all about, or join the discussion now!
Pro League registration is now open. Learn how to play.
New to Fantasy Baseball? We have created these Tutorials to get you started down the road to victory.
Yahoo! Sports has added an NA roster spot for this season. Commissioners can add this roster spot even if their league already has drafted.
If your league drafted after March 31, the commissioner can include Retroactive Scoring back to Opening Day of the MLB season.

First off, it's almost May, hardly anyone is starting a league anymore and they can get information about retroactive scoring when they sign up. Anyone but newbies won't care to read about the "NA" roster spot, tutorials or need help in the "Help Community" forums.

Basically what I'm asking for is the option to click on League home and see the standings at the top of the page. Even if you just bump the "League Notes" to the bottom of the League Home, that would be a HUGE improvement. I'd appreciate some feedback on this one Genie as you haven't responded to a single one of my suggestions yet.

I know I'm not the only one who would like this. Please chime in if you agree with me.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Just noticed the FAAB bids on the transactions page. Now you can see what everyone bid (or how much you overbid) for a player.

Nice touch genie. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby West » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:28 pm

wrveres wrote:Just noticed the FAAB bids on the transactions page. Now you can see what everyone bid (or how much you overbid) for a player.

Nice touch genie. ;-D

That's been around for at least a year but yeah, it sure is fun to check out.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Just noticed now, but the lack of conditional FAAB bids is really frustrating.

If I want to add two players, I'd need to have the claims for the second guy be conditional. ie:

Bid $3 on Edwin Jackson dropping Jake McGee
Bid $1 on Tommy Hanson dropping Jake McGee
Bid $1 on Tommy Hanson dropping David Hernandez

And so on, for maybe a handful of guys I'd like to add. The way it's actually set up, I can only make one claim for Tommy Hanson. So if I want to bid on Hanson, I have to commit to dropping Hernandez. But I could very easily still have Jake McGee if somebody else outbids me on Edwin. I can't possibly imagine this is by design. Will it be changed any time in the near future?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers