Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Dennismenis3 wrote:I have "sports.yahoo.com" bookmarked and I use that to bring the site up. I use a Norton Security Toolbar to store all my passwords, but I don't think that matters at all. The glitch does NOT give me access to anybody else's teams or pages or settings or anything, just shows their listing of fantasy teams. It's just an odd thing when it happens. Once it came up with a team or league called the White Mambas and I clicked on it and got a page that said "you are not a member of this league". It's strange, but not harmful and doesn't happen everyday so I haven't brought it up sooner. Also it does ALWAYS correct itself if I REFRESH page or click on the red FANTASY button.

My Yahoo! sign-in name is Dennismenis321 if that helps at all.

That is helpful information, thanks. I'll follow up and see what I can find.

Yeah, it has happened to me a few times as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby posty » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Hey Genie, is there ANY chance that there can be more than 50 players allowed on the watch list?

I play in a homer league where I can only have players on my team that have played for my team in the past or present and I easily max out the 50 player allotment... This doesn't sound like it would be a difficult change (assuming that it is a constant that can be modified)...

Any chance?

TIA
Softball Supervisor

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:42 pm

is it just me or did the league front page for yahoo fantasy baseball change?
and if it changed, why the hell did it change?
it's like a different font or something.
no reason to change it, change it back. (please)
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby higherpie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 pm

This is what the redesigned homepage looks like for 2 of my 3 leagues:

Just the team list and standings take up the entire height of my 23" monitor. It is most definitely not an improvement over the old version.

The redesign also appears to block or otherwise disable some of Bwanna's scripts. Which would be fine if Yahoo incorporated the functionality that his scripts do (did).

#HireBwanna #ReverseTheRedesign
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby bayside » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:17 pm

EDIT - The page looks fine on a normal computer. On a mobile device (which is where I first noticed the change and originally wrote this post about), the main page is very clunky.

The new design of the main league page is terrible.
Not only do the standing take up way too much space on the screen, but the division standings dont even fit on one line.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:17 pm

A few quick questions/comments:

- For people that are unhappy about the layout changes, how many of you are being hit by the bug related to H2H record wrapping lines? That bug definitely makes the page too tall, and needs to be fixed. In the absence of that bug, I'm surprised if anything changed enough for you to care much.
- Clunky on mobile. I believe you, but I don't think our mobile web has ever been... a strength? Is the new layout markedly worse on mobile web? If so, what device/browser?
- Greasemonkey. I hear you, but we can't realistically avoid breaking Greasemonkey scripts. I can assure you there are *lots* of benefits to the new league home that you'll never appreciate directly, only indirectly. Faster page loads. Easier maintenance. Stuff like that. We can't refuse to improve our code because it might break Greasemonkey scripts. Even Bwanna would tell you that, I expect. In terms of doing what his scripts do, I regularly take (constructive) feedback from here and feed it into our development process. As for hiring Bwanna, he and I have talked. They were short discussions, since he lives far from our engineering organization and is not interested in relocating. That stopped any further discussions, really. Which makes this a handy place to again mention that we're hiring, if any of you are software engineers and might be interested.

If people have specific, constructive concerns about the new design of the league home, I can totally pass those on. If it is just, "It is terrible, put it back", then that isn't particularly helpful or actionable.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby GRIN » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:A few quick questions/comments:

- For people that are unhappy about the layout changes, how many of you are being hit by the bug related to H2H record wrapping lines? That bug definitely makes the page too tall, and needs to be fixed. In the absence of that bug, I'm surprised if anything changed enough for you to care much.
- Clunky on mobile. I believe you, but I don't think our mobile web has ever been... a strength? Is the new layout markedly worse on mobile web? If so, what device/browser?
- Greasemonkey. I hear you, but we can't realistically avoid breaking Greasemonkey scripts. I can assure you there are *lots* of benefits to the new league home that you'll never appreciate directly, only indirectly. Faster page loads. Easier maintenance. Stuff like that. We can't refuse to improve our code because it might break Greasemonkey scripts. Even Bwanna would tell you that, I expect. In terms of doing what his scripts do, I regularly take (constructive) feedback from here and feed it into our development process. As for hiring Bwanna, he and I have talked. They were short discussions, since he lives far from our engineering organization and is not interested in relocating. That stopped any further discussions, really. Which makes this a handy place to again mention that we're hiring, if any of you are software engineers and might be interested.

If people have specific, constructive concerns about the new design of the league home, I can totally pass those on. If it is just, "It is terrible, put it back", then that isn't particularly helpful or actionable.

I actually don't mind the new layout at all. I even think it's better on my aging eyes. :-)
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:25 pm

for me it's just the look. I was comfortable with the way it looked before. it had been that way for awhile and it was just easy on the eyes. now it's something new. now sure I imagine one can get used to it, but i don't think that it was necessary to change the way it looked.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Dennismenis3 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Hey Genie, I like the new League Page. I especially love the new feature where it shows the current matchups on the right hand side of page with the option to click MLB and switch it to the regular MLB schedule/start times and the ability to get more easily to that game's matchup page. I use to have to open up Yahoo Sports in a second tab the go to MLB then Schedule to get that info. It is very convenient having it right there and cuts down on my research time. I did notice the quicker page switching also.

As to my earlier mentioned issue about the drop-down teams menu...it must have not been happening as often as I thought...and it hasn't happened once since I brought it up. It's like going to the doctor's office because you can't stop coughing, but once you're in the waiting room, you stop coughing.

Thanks for the good work Genie, and for always paying attention to us here!
Dennismenis3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Coppernob » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:- Clunky on mobile. I believe you, but I don't think our mobile web has ever been... a strength? Is the new layout markedly worse on mobile web? If so, what device/browser?

This is not tied to the new "home page" but I have a puzzling question. In a browser on an ipad i can drag a player from one position to another when i first enter the roster page, but if i ask for stats for "last 7 days" it no longer allows me to drag players. Do you know why?
Coppernob
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers