Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Fantasy Baseball Suggestions...

Postby VeganThug » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 pm

i signed up just so i could reply to this thread. i was hesitant to respond on yahoo's site, because i assumed that my suggestions wouldn't be read by the individuals who actually have the power to modify the system. i have a bunch of suggestions:

stats related:

1) currently, when you try to sort players using their average stats, it only goes out to one decimal point. so, for home runs, all the power hitters are either 0.2 or 0.1. going out an extra decimal place would make a world of a difference in distinguishing the players. displaying the thousandths decimal place seems to have diminishing returns, though. two decimal places seems to be the sweet spot for the runs, hr's, rbi's, and sb's categories.

2) espn's player rater is really handy in quantifying the comparative value of individual players. i know you said that you outsource the stats, but i'm sure there's a solution that could work. since i don't know the legalities, i'll just tell you my goal: after i make stat projections for a player, it would be of great value to me if i could maybe enter my projections in a calculator, which in turn would give me a number value corresponding to yahoo's specific rankings. i could then look up a list of the previous year's rankings with numerical values and see where my projected player would place.

quirky annoyances:

1) if two managers wanted to simply trade their still injured players stored in the dl spot, they would each have to drop an active player. ideally, the system would be able to add/trade players straight to the dl spot without first adding them to the active roster, then moving them to the dl spot. i'm sure i'm not the first one to bring this up, so i'm guessing there are code limitations that i'm unaware of.

2) being forced to move a recently activated player (by his real mlb team) from the dl to the active roster before you can make any league transactions whatsoever is inconvenient. i understand that you don't want managers hoarding players, but sometimes, especially with sp's, you want to see how well they perform before you insert them back into the lineup. i suggest allowing players to remain on the dl for an indefinite period of time regardless of their official status in mlb.

3) there was some quirk with the waiver wire (i think i just remembered). i think it was if you are granted your waiver request and you then drop the player you just requested, something odd happens. maybe they went back on waivers when they should have stayed in the free agent pool...or maybe it was if you pick up a player on tues., for example, then select the newly added player to be dropped when the tuesday night waivers are processed, then the player you dropped go on waivers instead of the free agent pool?? it's been too long, i don't really remember.

philosophical ideas:

1) this suggestion is related to the farm system roster spots for keeper leagues, but it's for yearly leagues. i recommend adding an additional 'n/a' spot. this is where you could draft a minor league player and stash them until they get called up, or where you could put that player who goes on paternity leave, or that player that remains unsigned with any team. ideally, you could do many things with this. you could have one dl and one n/a spot. you could expand the n/a spot to include dl players, then have two spots to store injured players and/or players listed as n/a, which is what seems like would work well.

random things:

1) leaving the player pool up after the season was great for those who wanted to review the past year and start making projections for the next year. i knew you had to shut it down eventually, but i didn't think it would be as difficult as it was to find any reference to yahoo's official end of season player rankings. i searched and i searched and i searched. the best i found was a silly game that listed the top 100 players of 2012 according to yahoo's official rankings. when you shut down access to the player pool, it would be great if you could post a link to a quick list of last season's top 300 players according to yahoo's official rankings.

2) i know you posted how you deal with position eligibility during the season, but if my memory serves, you were rather vague about how you determine eligibility from one season to the next. this is very low priority for me, though.

3) lastly, it took me longer than it should have to get my winnings last year. the directions said to wait for an email from yahoo before you confirm/register the transaction with paypal. i never received an email so i kept waiting patiently to receive one. when i finally talked to customer service, i was told the the transaction was ready to go; it was just pending my approval. maybe you could update the instructions on the payout page to have a asterisk that says something like,

"it's possible that some automatically generated emails may not have been delivered correctly. if you haven't received a yahoo notification concerning your winnings, try to logon to your paypal account and check for a pending transaction from yahoo. approving this transaction should allow the payment to process."
VeganThug
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby daullaz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Genie, thanks for taking the time to reach out to the Cafe community for suggestions. One of the big reasons I keep leagues on Yahoo in both baseball and football every year is your dedication to canvassing our community and allowing us to be part of the process of improving your site.

That said, any suggestions I pitch here will likely come across as hyper-individualized for one of my off-Yahoo leagues. However, if there's even a shot you guys move to salaries/contracts as an option, especially for dynasty leagues, I'd love to discuss a few things either here or via PM. Just let me know.

I think by integrating a strong salary/contract system on Yahoo Plus leagues, it will lead to a wide portion of the veteran fantasy community throwing money at your product.

Thanks again!

-R.J.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby cordscords » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Auction drafts for Y! Pro leagues.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:28 am

I'll second/third/fourth/whatever the minor league system idea. My league does this already; we just use proboards. I'm telling you right now, though, the database would have to be comprehensive. Right now, Yahoo includes, somewhat arbitrarily, the top 50ish prospects. Even if you went to some larger arbitrary number, say 150, or just took everyone in AA or above, that's not enough. Prospect leagues vary widely in terms of who they're allowed to draft, so it would have to be, basically, anyone who's signed a contract with an MLB team. DSL guys. Anyone.

It would be amazing if you guys could do it, though.

I'd also love to see an "NA" slot similar to DL slots. This one seems obvious - Yahoo already flags players NA, why not have a roster option for NA spots? It could be for leagues where you want to be able to stash one or two prospects, or just a utility thing for when a guy goes on paternity leave.

Also, a vastly improved message board system would be great. Like someone suggested, something more similar to what we've got going on here would be great. Even something with the capabilities of, say, Proboards, would be nice. Anyone with a long-term league who wants archives and navigable, clear forums for their league can't really use yahoo at this point.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 41)

Postby HighHeater » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:49 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Hey... so as we start to get ready to work on our 2013 baseball game, I figured I'd at least ask: what is on the top of your wish lists for this season? Are there still features you really wish we (Yahoo!) had that we don't? Bugs that really drive you crazy? Pages you wish were different/better/faster?

While I'm here, I'll note that our team here is growing, and we'll soon be hiring engineers. If any of you out there are programmers and think it might be cool to be a part of this (hint: it is), then drop me a PM.

Will we ever see MINOR LEAGUE ROSTER SPOTS??? I love the Yahoo site but it caters way to heavy to redraft leagues. Theres hardly any dynasty apeal and options with minor league players at all. My Yahoo dyno league writes down their prospects and the commish will add them when they are added to the system. Its tedious, and there should really be MINOR LEAGUE ROSTER SPOTS available to negate this by now. Been wishing for 9yrs now....
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby GRIN » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:22 pm

I'll cast my vote for an improved message board. I've been forced to use the Classic Editor option rather than the Rich Text Editor version. Cutting and pasting using the Rich Text version causes me to swear.

Thanks for soliciting input Genie! :-)
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Bwanna » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:37 pm

How about an option to get notified via email (or text) of league transactions - either immediately or with a daily digest?
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/tbd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 254)

Postby fantasyfiend » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Please add the stat category: "ISO" you can see the formula here: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/gloss ... search=ISO
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Thanks for the help Genie.

1 item, at the end of every season I C&P all the adds as they get a different salary, but can only do 25 at a time. It would be sweet if I could have all of them on one page.

Someone in here mentioned about seeing everyone's position elig, if you have a predraft rankings page, you can filter to all players, then view the page source code. C&P that players into Excel, it takes about 5-10 minutes (if that) of manipulation all told, but it can be done.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby bayside » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 am

this is something that Ender just reminded me of in another thread:

can one of the options for pitching categories be "Saves + Holds"?
it would be great for leagues that want to place more value on middle relievers but that dont want to add an entire extra category (holds) and create imbalance between pitching/hitting stats.

It also better rewards owners who have the most talented RP's, rather than the owners who simply have the most (often times) crappy closers.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers