Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby OBPlover » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:13 am

i noticed something when i setup my league today. there is no way to set an innings cap in h2h leagues. how do i allow multiple transactions per week but stop thr pitcher cycling?
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:23 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Arrowhead Nation wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: Enforcing minimums within roto
I'm not really understanding this. I understand why you don't want people to tank, and you want them to play more, but if they aren't, I don't really know how to punish them or... un-punish them in an automated way. Do you just mean you'd want us to automatically change people's rosters if they fall sufficiently below the GP/IP limits?

I have no clue how tough it would be to code it, but there is already the projected games played per position that is in place regarding maximum limits. What I would like to see, as a commissioner of a league that does have minimums, is a way to award zeroes in any category that does not meet the set minimum in games played or IP. Our league uses 1300 IP and 145 G/position for the minimum...so about 90% of the maximum. Last season, I was forced to go in and check the non-contenders once or twice a week in the final two months and take appropriate measures. In a dynasty league, there is certainly a temptation to tank once a team in out of it.

This is exactly what I don't understand. It really seems like you just said, "If a team is trying to tank, I want you to punish them by giving them all 0's for scoring." If a team is trying to tank, isn't that *exactly* what they want?

Hi Genie, thanks for all you do.

I don't see that we got back around to this issue, and I wanted to make sure you understand the need. This situation does not involve teams trying to do poorly, there is a very viable strategy at work here. This works better in an auction format, but can be done with some success in a snake draft. A team will acquire handful of relief pitchers, both closers and set up men with great ratios. And that's it. The spend the rest of their budget/draft on hitting. They will accrue 300-400 innings with this handful of pitchers, and win saves, ERA and WHIP. So they can very cheaply earn themselves an above average finish in pitching. And because they were able to invest so much in hitting they likely do very well there. It's a cheap strategy many leagues try to prevent. And how you prevent it is with an innings minimum. We've come to the point where we need one in our league, and sadly will likely be moving to another provider after 10 years at Yahoo. :,-(

In terms of how to implement, I think most leagues stipulate that if you do not reach the minimum you receive only one point for ERA and WHIP. There's a minimum available in H2H, maybe you can piggyback on that code. See what you can do for us. ;-D
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 am

Any chance Victor Martinez could be given 1B eligibility? In 2011, he had 6 starts there, which technically satisfies Yahoo's in-season eligibility requirements.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheRock » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:42 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
bayside wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I think it remains an interesting discussion as to how to best handle this, but what do you believe is inconsistent? We've now identified two cases where a pitcher didn't have enough games to qualify as a SP or RP, and in both cases was marked only a P. Yeah?

no, last year Moore WAS given RP status to begin the year.
and all the other guys from the above quote were also given either RP or P status to begin the year as well, even though they had not accumulated enough appearances from the previous year.

i think the conclusion that was reached last year, and was then implemented prior to Opening Day, was that from a logic standpoint, you could say that it is impossible to be a P without being either a SP or an RP first.
also common sense dictates this.

Thanks for the reminder. A few of us now remember the sequence of events, and after consideration, we're going to resolve both Teheran and Justin Grimm from P to SP. I'm hoping to get this done tomorrow, which means you might see the change in-game on Friday. That's my goal.

The same situation occurs with hitters. Last year I had a problem with Mat Gamel. He had appeared in 2011 2-3 games at 3rd, and 2-3 games at 1st. So he lost his 3B eligibility and was only available as a 'CI', which of course is not a real position. We have the same situation this year with Profar, he appeared in 9 games last year but did not make enough starts anywhere to qualify so he is only a 'MI'. Would this maybe create a situation where leagues with no 'MI' spot could not draft him? Just still seems wrong to me that if he had never appeared in the bigs last year he would have more eligibility.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Arrowhead Nation wrote:Any chance Victor Martinez could be given 1B eligibility? In 2011, he had 6 starts there, which technically satisfies Yahoo's in-season eligibility requirements.

Yes, he'll be 1B eligible.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:59 am

OBPlover wrote:i noticed something when i setup my league today. there is no way to set an innings cap in h2h leagues. how do i allow multiple transactions per week but stop thr pitcher cycling?

Set a limit for starts or innings per week, and just enforce it. Put it on the shoulders of the league members to monitor their opponent, and if they are in violation, they are penalized and lose every category for the week (if Yahoo lets the Commissioner edit this -- I assume you could retroactively have the offending team sit their entire roster for the week and they'd lose 10 - 0 or whatever).

Either way, there is a way to have this without having it built into the game.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby higherpie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:25 pm

I meant to make this request last year. Someone else probably already did but:

Allow Commissioners to modify player waiver dates for longer periods of time into the future. The current limit is one week. Two weeks would be good. A month would be great. "Until I say otherwise" would be fantastic.

Thanks for everything Genie!
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby bayside » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:42 am

bigh0rt wrote:
OBPlover wrote:i noticed something when i setup my league today. there is no way to set an innings cap in h2h leagues. how do i allow multiple transactions per week but stop thr pitcher cycling?

Set a limit for starts or innings per week, and just enforce it. Put it on the shoulders of the league members to monitor their opponent, and if they are in violation, they are penalized and lose every category for the week (if Yahoo lets the Commissioner edit this -- I assume you could retroactively have the offending team sit their entire roster for the week and they'd lose 10 - 0 or whatever).

Either way, there is a way to have this without having it built into the game.

yep, this is very easy to implement.
I was worried it would cause problems when my league first went to a starts/week limit, but in 2 years a team has only went over the limit once and that was due to a series of absurd coincidences.

its really not difficult to enforce at all - makes the league members more responsible and vigilant.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:49 am

Just noticed that Yahoo updated the default rankings sometime in the last day or so.

I understand that players get hurt, and those movements are expected, but why/how does Yahoo decide to move the other (healthy) players around on the list?
Are the new ranks based on spring training performance, current ADP, Yahoo's resident fantasy experts, or some other combination of factors Im not thinking of?

Also is there a pre-determined date that this occurs every year. It really sucks to map out an entire draft based on expected ADP and then have major targets shift dramatically 1 day before a live online draft.
If possible it would be nice to know in advance when the update would be so that draft dates can be scheduled before it for those league that care about such things.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bali dawgs » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:37 am

Genie-

I asked before as to why Gyorko is not showing up in the Player List. When I do a mock draft, I'm able to grab him, but I live in Indonesia so it's very important for me to have my guys pre-ranked as thouroughly as possible before the actual draft. In case there are internet/electricity issues during the draft.

Any ideas as to why I can find him during the mock, but not on the player list to place him in my pre ranked player section?

Aaron
bali dawgs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers