Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:01 pm

SteveJeltzPhanClub wrote:The league that I need the Teheran add is 3851. Thanks for taking an interest and looking into it.

Fascinating. I can't add Teheran to your league, because players aren't in/not in leagues. They are in/not in the game. And Teheran is in the game. And yet, sure enough, I can't see Teheran in your league. I'll try to look into it today. Never seen a case like this.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
SteveJeltzPhanClub wrote:The league that I need the Teheran add is 3851. Thanks for taking an interest and looking into it.

Fascinating. I can't add Teheran to your league, because players aren't in/not in leagues. They are in/not in the game. And Teheran is in the game. And yet, sure enough, I can't see Teheran in your league. I'll try to look into it today. Never seen a case like this.

Got it, and I have seen this one before. I should have figured this out sooner.

Teheran qualifies as a P, but not a RP or SP. He presumably will quickly gain eligibility as an RP or SP, but for now he's just a P. Your league has no slots for P; just RP and SP. Therefore he isn't currently a valid player for your league. That is why he isn't showing up.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Last year wasnt the solution to that problem just giving the pitcher eligibility in whichever category he had appeared most in his previous season?
i specifically remember that we had a discussion regarding Matt Moore, and he began the season as RP eligible only, teh reason being that he appeared as a RP more than a SP, even though he technically should have only had the "P" designation since he did not appear in enough games in 2011 to qualify for either SP or RP under the normal Yahoo guidelines.

And Moore was definitely available last year in leagues that did not have any P positions (I drafted him in one such league)
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:04 pm

ok I found the previous discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=438456&p=3469062&hilit=moore+RP#p3469062

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:So yeah... I now understand exactly how this happens, but we'll need to have a discussion here about whether it is really the best way to handle this situation. Moore started twice last year, and pitched in relief 3 times. So for the record, if we followed the flow described without this weird 'P' angle on it, he'd qualify at RP and not SP, but that might still be better than just P. But we look and say:
- He didn't qualify at any positions last year
- Last year he played SP twice, RP three times, and P 5 times. So I guess he's a P.

I'm sort of inclined to think that P shouldn't be one of the possible answers if we're reduced to using this case to determine eligibility. But I need to make sure I'm not forgetting something, see what other people around here think, figure out how dangerous it is to touch this code, figure out if we can clean up players in this state, etc. etc.

In short, this will happen for any player who pitched last year as both a starter and reliever, but didn't qualify for either. That currently would be 6 guys:

Rick VandenHurk
Alex Sanabia
Matt Moore
Brandon Dickson
Brad Peacock
Dellin Betances

So if Yahoo is going to be consistent with their pitcher eligibility rules then they should in fact list Teheran as either a SP or RP (or both since he made one appearance as a starter and one appearance as a reliever in 2012)
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:34 pm

bayside wrote:ok I found the previous discussion:

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:So yeah... I now understand exactly how this happens, but we'll need to have a discussion here about whether it is really the best way to handle this situation. Moore started twice last year, and pitched in relief 3 times. So for the record, if we followed the flow described without this weird 'P' angle on it, he'd qualify at RP and not SP, but that might still be better than just P. But we look and say:
- Last year he played SP twice, RP three times, and P 5 times. So I guess he's a P.

I'm sort of inclined to think that P shouldn't be one of the possible answers if we're reduced to using this case to determine eligibility. But I need to make sure I'm not forgetting something, see what other people around here think, figure out how dangerous it is to touch this code, figure out if we can clean up players in this state, etc. etc.

In short, this will happen for any player who pitched last year as both a starter and reliever, but didn't qualify for either. That currently would be 6 guys:

Rick VandenHurk
Alex Sanabia
Matt Moore
Brandon Dickson
Brad Peacock
Dellin Betances

So if Yahoo is going to be consistent with their pitcher eligibility rules then they should in fact list Teheran as either a SP or RP (or both since he made one appearance as a starter and one appearance as a reliever in 2012)

I think it remains an interesting discussion as to how to best handle this, but what do you believe is inconsistent? We've now identified two cases where a pitcher didn't have enough games to qualify as a SP or RP, and in both cases was marked only a P. Yeah?
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Rick VandenHurk
Alex Sanabia
Matt Moore
Brandon Dickson
Brad Peacock
Dellin Betances

I think it remains an interesting discussion as to how to best handle this, but what do you believe is inconsistent? We've now identified two cases where a pitcher didn't have enough games to qualify as a SP or RP, and in both cases was marked only a P. Yeah?

no, last year Moore WAS given RP status to begin the year.
and all the other guys from the above quote were also given either RP or P status to begin the year as well, even though they had not accumulated enough appearances from the previous year.

i think the conclusion that was reached last year, and was then implemented prior to Opening Day, was that from a logic standpoint, you could say that it is impossible to be a P without being either a SP or an RP first.
also common sense dictates this.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 pm

bayside wrote:

no, last year Moore WAS given RP status to begin the year.
and all the other guys from the above quote were also given either RP or P status to begin the year as well, even though they had not accumulated enough appearances from the previous year.

i think the conclusion that was reached last year, and was then implemented prior to Opening Day, was that from a logic standpoint, you could say that it is impossible to be a P without being either a SP or an RP first.
also common sense dictates this.

Thanks for the reminder. A few of us now remember the sequence of events, and after consideration, we're going to resolve both Teheran and Justin Grimm from P to SP. I'm hoping to get this done tomorrow, which means you might see the change in-game on Friday. That's my goal.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks Genie! As always, you rule!
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:29 pm

Just dropping in to pay my routine homage to the Genie for all his work and being an open line of communication with the Cafe. You are more appreciated than you can imagine, and hopefully the Cafe constituancy makes that obvious.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Bravos of Steel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:35 pm

This might be something small, but I thought Yahoo used to send email notifications whenever any trade was accepted in the league (not just with my team). We just had 2 other teams finish off a trade, and didn't receive an email notification.

I do have the setting set to receive emails for Fantasy Baseball Events (pending trades, etc). I really liked being kept in the loop there, so I was curious. Thanks Genie ;-D
Beautiful, Beautiful Family Guy

Lois: You're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking.
Bravos of Steel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers