Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Coppernob wrote:I have a question on behalf of Yahoo Commish who is running a keeper league.

One manager did not return, and he deleted the team BEFORE finding a replacement manager. Now he found the replacement manager but the "choose your own keepers" function is, of course, not available to the new manager.

Through the history we know what the roster was last year, but how does the Commish assign the keepers?

Based on my experience I thought the commish can manually assign them before the draft?

Is this corrct?

So here is the deal with this situation.

Once the commish deletes a team, things get messier, but not impossible. There are two ways this can resolve itself once the replacement is in the league:

1) The commish can use the Edit Rosters tool to put the appropriate players on the team. This allows them to participate in the whole "Choose Your Keepers" process along with everyone else.

2) Ultimately, going through the whole "Choose Your Keepers" process just makes things a little easier for the commish when he sets up the custom draft order. He still has to do the draft order step to indicate where any kept players get slotted in. So you could, for example, do the keepers for that team offline, and at the point where the commish is slotting keeper players into the draft order, he can slot in the players that were determined offline. Make sense?

The deletion of the team is still unfortunate. It means things like the All-Time Record book can't know that team A from this year was actually Team B from last year (for that team). That is a situation we're thinking about a lot these days, and so it may change/improve going forward.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GRIN » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:57 pm

AMT wrote:Are you guys going to update the draft rankings soon so guys like Granderson aren't ranked in the top 30...

Can you clarify why that would be an issue for anyone? I'm curious.
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby GRIN » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
GRIN wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Okay. So sometimes it is fun to just wait and see when you guys discover things, and how you respond, but in this case I'll proactively ask...

Yesterday we pushed out our replacement for the custom logo upload tool. We're hoping this one will last and be much more stable than what you've had for the last few years. Please let me know if you have questions, comments, or feedback.

It's definitely more stable. The old tool was very frustrating. ;-D
My only negative is that unless I'm missing something it appears I can't have multiple logos across multiple leagues and sports. I have to stick with one. But that's no biggie really. It's just a logo. :-)
So overall, a very nice improvement!
Thanks Genie ;-D

You totally can. For every one of your teams, when you go to Edit Team Settings, you get to choose your logo. It can be one of the stock images. It can use Gravatar. It can use a logo you previously uploaded via the new custom tool. It can use a new logo you upload via the new custom tool.

In case we have a usability issue: what confused you into thinking you couldn't have multiple logos across leagues/sports? Did you try to do something you thought should work but it didn't? Ohhh... unless you're talking about Gravatar and not the thing we launched yesterday? Even for Gravatar you *can*, but it is more unwieldy. Lemme know...

My apologies for the confusion. I'm learning that my critical reading skills are lacking :-B
I missed the "yesterday" in your post and I also missed the "League Notes" at the top of my Baseball, Basketball and Hockey leagues. I just saw Gravatar hyperlinked and just assumed that was what Yahoo was referencing.

So yes you are correct. I was referring to Gravatar. And yes, unwieldy. Something about requiring different email addresses.

I will check out the new tool. Thanks!
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:27 pm

GRIN wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
GRIN wrote:
It's definitely more stable. The old tool was very frustrating. ;-D
My only negative is that unless I'm missing something it appears I can't have multiple logos across multiple leagues and sports. I have to stick with one. But that's no biggie really. It's just a logo. :-)
So overall, a very nice improvement!
Thanks Genie ;-D

You totally can. For every one of your teams, when you go to Edit Team Settings, you get to choose your logo. It can be one of the stock images. It can use Gravatar. It can use a logo you previously uploaded via the new custom tool. It can use a new logo you upload via the new custom tool.

In case we have a usability issue: what confused you into thinking you couldn't have multiple logos across leagues/sports? Did you try to do something you thought should work but it didn't? Ohhh... unless you're talking about Gravatar and not the thing we launched yesterday? Even for Gravatar you *can*, but it is more unwieldy. Lemme know...

My apologies for the confusion. I'm learning that my critical reading skills are lacking :-B
I missed the "yesterday" in your post and I also missed the "League Notes" at the top of my Baseball, Basketball and Hockey leagues. I just saw Gravatar hyperlinked and just assumed that was what Yahoo was referencing.

So yes you are correct. I was referring to Gravatar. And yes, unwieldy. Something about requiring different email addresses.

I will check out the new tool. Thanks!

Yup. In the long run, the Gravatar solution is much more useful for people who use Gravatar anyway and want their personal image as their team logo. It *can* be used for individual team logos, and until yesterday it was the only way to have a personal logo, but yes, you need to have a different e-mail address per team to do that, and it is unwieldy. Some e-mail providers make that easier than others by allowing you to make disposable/one-time/whatever email addresses. So instead of just being gern@blanston.com you can also be gern+my_team@blanston.com, gern+bb_logo@blanston.com, etc. etc.

But if your intent is to have a bunch of logos for a bunch of different teams, then the solution we launched yesterday should be much more pleasant for you.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Just thought i would post a tip for Keeper league commishes who are setting up a custom draft order with keepers slotted into specific rounds. This might sound dumb and obvious but it saved me a lot of time.
After doing several of these I found that (for me at least) this way is the easiest and fastest approach especially in leagues with lots of keepers per team:

Go to custom draft order with keepers + import draft pick trades.
Slot in keepers for just one team at a time, then go on to the next team.
Find the appropriate round for Team A's first keeper, click the slot next to his team name, type the players name into the keeper search box at the left, then click on the players name when it pops up. This will put the player on the team you chose.

Dont try to do it round by round for all the teams at the same time. Takes much longer and invariably leads to accidentally placing players on the wrong team every once in a while.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bixo9 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:32 am

Tomorrow, we have a couple of absentee managers for our off-line draft. It seems that every year we have at least one person absent (emergencies, schedule conflict, etc.).

I've been asked to draft on their behalf. I will be distracted from drafting my team, and I may not be objective at all times.

I would prefer the option to assign the absentee manager's team to be auto-drafted similar to Yahoo's auto-pick algorithm.

Is this possible now? If not, would this feature be possible for next year's draft?
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby bixo9 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:33 am

I haven't tried the new image upload tool. Will let you know my experience with it once I do try it.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bixo9 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:38 am

Are pinned message board threads suppose to be pinned on the League -> Overview web page? The threads are not pinned.

I would assume yes, since the mobile app shows the threads pinned.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bixo9 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:59 am

Context is weekly h2h points league.

Some suggestions that may be simple and have a big impact.

* Condition to hide the Tie columns while there are now ties for desktop and mobile. The zeroes from tie columns are annoying. :)
* Format numbers #,###. E.g. points currently displayed as 2550 or 4167 instead of 2,550 or 4,167 respectively.
* Display Points Against, Winning Streak, and Games Back in the Standings. Mobile too, if it can fit.
* Hide Moves column from Standing in desktop Overview page. For leagues not limited by moves.
* Least of all, identify the teams eliminated from playoffs.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bayside » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:42 pm

bixo9 wrote:Tomorrow, we have a couple of absentee managers for our off-line draft. It seems that every year we have at least one person absent (emergencies, schedule conflict, etc.).

I've been asked to draft on their behalf. I will be distracted from drafting my team, and I may not be objective at all times.

I would prefer the option to assign the absentee manager's team to be auto-drafted similar to Yahoo's auto-pick algorithm.

Is this possible now? If not, would this feature be possible for next year's draft?

Think about it... in an offline draft how in the world would any software solution be possible to autodraft one team?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers