Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm mostly just soaking these in, taking notes, etc. etc., but I can comment on that last one pretty quickly. Unfortunately, that is something we almost surely can't do any time soon. That is data we don't own; we license it from another company, and the terms of that arrangement allow us to present that data on our site. Any feature that amounts to letting us give that data to you is a problem, because it isn't ours to give, and that violates our contract. It would be like asking us to loan you a movie or music so you can copy it, if that helps the analogy.

For what it is worth, years before Yahoo! even offered fantasy sites, my league subscribed to one of these same services, who delivered us statistics on a regular basis, at a much more reasonable price than they charge a large profitable company like us heh... Wonder if they still do that.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:27 pm

They can't do that because of the deal they have with the stat provider. They seem to make it difficult to download the stats on purpose. Which is a royal PITA but not much to do about it, I guess. Would be pretty sweet if they could do what Fangraphs does and have a button to click to download the entire table, even stuff on subsequent pages, quickly into a CSV file. I have to wonder how much they're paying a provider for that data since they don't seem to have as much to gain financially as Yahoo. maybe when the contract is up they ask the provider for "the Fangraphs package".

One thing that I really wish was available at the beginning of each season, when preparing for a draft, is a list of all players and their position eligibility. I have gone through dozens of pages countless times copy+pasting everything into excel so I can have a database of position eligibility. Stuff like that, along with maybe draft position/auction price, who owns the player, would be extremely handy. How hard would it be to offer a csv with just that information, without any stats?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3081
(Past Year: 113)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby dannahann » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks for explaining the limits on data presentation. If you are seeking options once that contract expires, CBS also permits downloading the entire set to excel.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1991
(Past Year: 39)
Joined: 26 Jun 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Missouri

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby dannahann » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Skin Blues wrote:They can't do that because of the deal they have with the stat provider. They seem to make it difficult to download the stats on purpose. Which is a royal PITA but not much to do about it, I guess. Would be pretty sweet if they could do what Fangraphs does and have a button to click to download the entire table, even stuff on subsequent pages, quickly into a CSV file. I have to wonder how much they're paying a provider for that data since they don't seem to have as much to gain financially as Yahoo. maybe when the contract is up they ask the provider for "the Fangraphs package".

One thing that I really wish was available at the beginning of each season, when preparing for a draft, is a list of all players and their position eligibility. I have gone through dozens of pages countless times copy+pasting everything into excel so I can have a database of position eligibility. Stuff like that, along with maybe draft position/auction price, who owns the player, would be extremely handy. How hard would it be to offer a csv with just that information, without any stats?

YES GREAT POINT, been there every off-season and it's tedious as #@**. Actually this would be much more valuable to me than grabbing >25 players and their in-season stats, as I originally requested.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1991
(Past Year: 39)
Joined: 26 Jun 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Missouri

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:41 pm

I will echo the request earlier for rankings based on league stats, or perhaps a point total for every player based on league settings. In the football game, it's easy to see what players are the best for the league format, and for a lot of my league it's tough to negotiate trades because they base players on Yahoo ranks for some reason. It helps me out on the waiver wire, but I'd still love to see some kind of league settings rank or points.

One feature of the football game I would love to see for baseball is the matchup recap. That was a lot of fun this year, and it would be cool to see that carry over to baseball.

Not sure if this is your department, but I use Yahoo for all my leagues but still feel like a 3rd party app is the best choice for managing my teams. A universal app for all sports that gets continually updated rather than an app for every sport that needs to be redownloaded every year would be awesome.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 83)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Nerfherders » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:04 pm

My request would be to add a couple more stats to the daily team stats list: BB and HBP. In OBP leagues this is important if you want to gather all the daily stats and do a weekly compilation.

Or better yet, I noticed you expanded the standings charts somewhat last year. How about allowing us to see the stats and standings from any given date to any given date. For example I click May 1 start, to May 31 end, and get the stats and standings for all teams in that timeframe. That would ROCK!
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 669
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby converge241 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:28 am

1) As many have mentioned - specific minor league slots. I am debating moving a league back to Yahoo but we have minor league rosters for each team and my workaround is building ghost teams to harbor the players. I prefer Yahoo over all sites for hosting but this one league has been hosted elsewhere for years due to this and other keeper limitations (but please note the keeper stuff has GREATLY improved which is why I am re-looking at moving this one back)

2) Keeper leagues staying for the whole off-season. Realize this is probably a huge burden but some owners might pay for this so off-season trades can be done on the site, or perhaps some cached version of the site. My workaround for this is trying to keep emails active and keeping records of everything on Google Docs. This is another reason I keep one league I run off of yahoo and would like to bring it back to be housed with most of my other teams (and many of the league members - one stop for all/almost all your teams).

Thx!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3191
(Past Year: 99)
Joined: 19 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Bwanna » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:03 pm

converge241 wrote:1) As many have mentioned - specific minor league slots. I am debating moving a league back to Yahoo but we have minor league rosters for each team and my workaround is building ghost teams to harbor the players. I prefer Yahoo over all sites for hosting but this one league has been hosted elsewhere for years due to this and other keeper limitations (but please note the keeper stuff has GREATLY improved which is why I am re-looking at moving this one back)

2) Keeper leagues staying for the whole off-season. Realize this is probably a huge burden but some owners might pay for this so off-season trades can be done on the site, or perhaps some cached version of the site. My workaround for this is trying to keep emails active and keeping records of everything on Google Docs. This is another reason I keep one league I run off of yahoo and would like to bring it back to be housed with most of my other teams (and many of the league members - one stop for all/almost all your teams).

Thx!


;D another vote for keeper leagues through the off-season (along with minor league slots).
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 5655
(Past Year: 247)
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby dannahann » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Bwanna wrote:
converge241 wrote:1) As many have mentioned - specific minor league slots. I am debating moving a league back to Yahoo but we have minor league rosters for each team and my workaround is building ghost teams to harbor the players. I prefer Yahoo over all sites for hosting but this one league has been hosted elsewhere for years due to this and other keeper limitations (but please note the keeper stuff has GREATLY improved which is why I am re-looking at moving this one back)

2) Keeper leagues staying for the whole off-season. Realize this is probably a huge burden but some owners might pay for this so off-season trades can be done on the site, or perhaps some cached version of the site. My workaround for this is trying to keep emails active and keeping records of everything on Google Docs. This is another reason I keep one league I run off of yahoo and would like to bring it back to be housed with most of my other teams (and many of the league members - one stop for all/almost all your teams).

Thx!


;D another vote for keeper leagues through the off-season (along with minor league slots).

me likey too ;-D
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1991
(Past Year: 39)
Joined: 26 Jun 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Missouri

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby ayebatter » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Found this request in the wrong thread. ;-)


Coppernob wrote:First of all, as also a bit of an old timer thanks for your availability here and for Yahoo's constant improvement.

My top request would be an ios app that has statracker and that is iPad compatible. Either that or a Non Flash statracker that can be viewed on ios devices. Nothing like peeking at the iphone for updates rather than opening the laptop.

There must be a easier way to order the draft lists if you cannot be there. The system is very cumbersome. Would your stat people allow you to export the player names (with an ID#) and the re-import them? No stats - just the names.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12209
(Past Year: 1299)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact