Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:
ironman wrote:Another option I'd love to see is preseason trading. We have it in our league but I have to keep track and make the moves accordingly when keepers are due. If managers had full access before the keeper deadline to trade anyone from their roster from last season, that'd be nice to take some of the extra legwork I have to do in keeping track of preseason moves and such. Plus then managers could submit proper keepers with the guys they traded for.

That would be amazing.

Basically, in my mind, if you want to run any kind of complex league - salaries, dynasty, auction keeper - then everything you need to keep track of (like full minors rosters, draft pick trading, offseason moves, etc etc etc) needs to be kept separately off the Yahoo page. One of my leagues uses Google Docs to keep track of salaries, another one uses Proboards to track offseason rosters and a full minor league system.

Right now, you can't do any of that on Yahoo. Running everything in one place would be amazing, but in order to do that, you'd need:

1. A full minors database.
2. Access to the league during the offseason, full comish control during the offseason with trades etc.
3. A vastly improved message board system. Customizable forums, for one thing. Basically, all of the tools that we have here at the Cafe (and the continuity; you can go back and look at posts from 10 years ago and they're all there) or on ProBoards.

Just to make sure you're aware, what you said isn't entirely accurate. You can (and should) trade draft picks within the game, and import the traded picks the following year. You can only trade for the following year, but so far I've heard exactly one complaint about that. The rest of it is understood, and a work in progress.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Just to make sure you're aware, what you said isn't entirely accurate. You can (and should) trade draft picks within the game, and import the traded picks the following year. You can only trade for the following year, but so far I've heard exactly one complaint about that. The rest of it is understood, and a work in progress.

Thanks for the response! Yes, I'm aware. However, you can't access this feature during the offseason, which in my league is when the vast majority of draft pick trading happens (in the weeks leading up to the draft, which we do in March). We also have an MLB draft and a minors draft; there's currently no way to distinguish those.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Just to make sure you're aware, what you said isn't entirely accurate. You can (and should) trade draft picks within the game, and import the traded picks the following year. You can only trade for the following year, but so far I've heard exactly one complaint about that. The rest of it is understood, and a work in progress.

Thanks for the response! Yes, I'm aware. However, you can't access this feature during the offseason, which in my league is when the vast majority of draft pick trading happens (in the weeks leading up to the draft, which we do in March). We also have an MLB draft and a minors draft; there's currently no way to distinguish those.

Yup. We definitely don't have it all, but we try to get closer each year. It just makes me sad when we DO have something, and people don't know it heh
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Brainstorm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 pm

bayside wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
re: Limiting starts/IP per H2H matchup
As a fantasy player I weep when I see this heh... we've had this discussion before, but it keeps coming up. I really think most leagues would be unhappy with this if we did implement it due to fenceposting on the last day. I should put a FAQ on this in the FAQ forum, because each time people explain all the "easy" ways to fix it, and we go through why they actually aren't easy or don't work. It keeps coming up, so at some point we may just do it anyway, but I really think it isn't a great idea, and I continue to believe that various features we already have are a better way to prevent streaming within H2H leagues.

Im one of the people who asks for this every year so you might be tired of hearing me talk about it... but leagues that implement this setting will know the implications in advance, and it cannot be any worse than not having the option.
is there a reason it cannot be coded to do the following:

Any team that starts enough pitchers on any day to send them over the weekly limit, will only have enough starts count to reach said limit.
The starts that "count" can be determined by using any one of the following criteria (probably whichever is simplest to code):

1) Pitcher with the earliest scheduled game start time counts. In the event that 2 or more pitchers have a game starting at the same time when the limit is reached, choose some arbitrary factor to determine the one that count s- alphabetical order, highest ranked pitcher by Yahoo rankings to date, etc

2) List all pitching slots as SP1, SP2, P3, P4, P5, RP6, RP7, etc so that on the day the limit is reached, only the slot(s) with the highest priority are used to reach said limit.
For example: going into Sunday Team A has made 8 starts out of 10 allowed per week.
His lineup is set as follows (assume all pitchers listed actually pitch that day):
SP1 - Halladay
SP2 - empty
SP3 - empty
P4 - Cain
P5 - Morrow
P6 - Sanchez
Only Halladay and Cain's stats would be used since they are the 2 pitchers with the highest priority to pitch teh day the limit is reched.

3. Make the owners more accountable.
If an owner has his lineup set so that he goes over the limit, rather than have all stats count (which never made sense to me), instead NONE of his pitching stats count for the day the limit is breached. Problem solved. I would assume this is also the simplest solution.
This would also require owners to be more active, which is one of the things that leagues implementing a Yahoo-controlled limit are trying to accomplish in the first place.

Any reason one of those could not be made to work?

To add to this, something has to be done in Roto leagues as well. On the last day of the season, or the day the team hits the innings threshold, they can go as far over as they want. This loophole has been the cause of many arguments over the last 2 seasons, as each year we had a team get within 3 or 4 innings of the limit and put all starters in and go 35 or 40 innings over the limit to get extra wins and K's. One year, the extra innings even cost a team a championship and it puts us in a tough spot. So if anything can be done to prevent this, it would be appreciated.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Tell everybody ahead of time. It's a pretty simple rule and it's been like that forever. In the end it's a very small percentage of innings in a roto league and since everybody knows they can all plan for it. I don't know about a solution for H2H leagues... seems like it'd be an annoying issue though. One of the many reasons I don't play that style.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am

I don't know if this has been asked or mentioned, but I have a question regarding winners leagues. in order to be in a winners league, you had to win a league the year before. but does that only count in the public yahoo leagues, and private yahoo leagues don't count?
example. I won a private yahoo league last year. but that doesn't give me the opportunity to play in a winners league this season. right?
is that something that could be changed for the future? ANY yahoo league won gives you the option to play in a winners league the following year? or would that be bad since a private league could only have a few teams, so that would be a flaw.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby bixo9 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:47 am

I like these Bwanna suggestions.

Bwanna wrote:
- I sometimes forget about or pending claims in leagues because they are only displayed on my team page, and not also on the league home page. Can that information be displayed in both places?
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/24044

- On the Yahoo player profile page, the matchup data for a pitcher shows his team's next opponent, even if he won't be starting against them, which is worthless and sometimes misleading. If Yahoo could should the matchup data based on the next projected start it would be great.

- A nit, but how about showing a player's age next to his birthdate on his profile page, so I don't have to waste cycles figuring that out? :-b
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/10066

bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby bixo9 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: RP only slot
I don't see how that is really implementable in a fair way. Pitchers are assigned SP or RP via a completely objective formula. There isn't really a fair way to say, "I realize he's qualified as a SP, but I know he isn't really, so don't let him go in an SP slot." And we never take away positional eligibility during a season, because that leads to all sorts of pain and drama.

First, I agree that removing eligibility from the current slots would cause confusion and problems. Not asking to take away eligibility from the current RP slot.

Secondly, I’m just asking that the commissioners have the additional option to choose a RP-Only slot (however anyone wants to call the slot). Would an objective formula be start pitcher if position equals RP? Look, the current RP slot is like the letter and spirit of the law. The intention for the current RP slot is to start a pitcher who pitches in a RP capacity. But manager’s circumvent that when a SP has RP eligibility. I think I already have the option to allow a RP or SP with the P slot.

Finally, here’s an example why RP-Only could be important. In 2012, the current RP slot (which I’m not asking to change) allowed RP-eligible Chris Sale and Kris Medlen who then were pitching as starting pitchers. For our points league (and maybe roto as well), that had a significant impact on points scoring, especially significant when they were two-start pitchers, compared to a pitcher pitching as an RP.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bixo9 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:13 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: Custom display stats
That is, showing (perhaps optionally) more stats that aren't scoring stats for your league. It is on "The List".

That would be a great setting for commissioners to choose non-scoring stats.

Specifically, BA and ERA would appear as non-scoring stats in my league along with last year's non-scoring stats of H/AB and IP that Yahoo had on the mobile app.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bixo9 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:27 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: Updating weekly rosters after Sunday at midnight, but before Monday games start
It is on "The List". I've always wondered why leagues lamenting this don't make their roster deadline Monday at midnight instead of Sunday at midnight, but in any case, we hear this one regularly, so we get that it is something lots of people want.

Yay, this is on "The List" and hopefully there for 2013!

Here's one example from our league. The Mets' Murphy got hurt late in a Sunday night game and was placed on the DL Monday morning. When the fantasy manager woke up, he was understandably upset that he couldn't change his weekly roster.

We're an east coast league. Even if we're not early to bed early to rise, a lot happens until the start of Monday's games.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers