Computer for Gaming - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Computer for Gaming

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Computer for Gaming

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:26 am

bigh0rt wrote:AD, if/when I actually get setup, would you be able to help me with mod installation? Just need a crash course in the editing programs they use. I used the ones with the NBA series years ago, and I imagine there's some similarities.

If I have time, I can help, although that seems to get limited each year. !+) Mods should be fairly straightforward to install, as long as you have the regenerator and an editor to import the regenerated files.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:38 am

I just upgraded from a HDD to a SSD and holy crap the difference in load times is ridiculous. Highly recommend.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:51 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:I just upgraded from a HDD to a SSD and holy crap the difference in load times is ridiculous. Highly recommend.

I don't know what that means. I know what I bought has HDD.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:12 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:I just upgraded from a HDD to a SSD and holy crap the difference in load times is ridiculous. Highly recommend.

I don't know what that means. I know what I bought has HDD.

He's just saying he upgraded his PC storage from a conventional hard drive to a solid state drive.

Comparing the two, SSD's have faster boot/load times, are more heat-efficient, and don't get fragmented like HDD's when you keep installing more programs and adding new files. SSD's are designed such that there are actually no moving parts to read and write data. The SSD's are not noisy, as a result, and don't nearly have the kinds of data volatility problems HDD's (potentially) could have.

I think the cost of SSD is gradually decreasing and so, eventually, you might want to look into getting one. I can vouch for the awesomeness of a SSD too as I have a Macbook Pro Retina.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:33 pm

FYI, I received the wireless 360 controller adapter for Christmas and it works great.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:17 pm

jfg wrote:FYI, I received the wireless 360 controller adapter for Christmas and it works great.

I ordered the same, so hopefully it's no problem as well.

My x51 arrived today. Please let me know anything I should do to get it rollin' in the right direction.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Edited previous post.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 am

jfg wrote:FYI, I received the wireless 360 controller adapter for Christmas and it works great.

Just hooked mine all up and worked great. Biggest adjustment is re-adjusting myself to the 360 controller from the PS3 controller. The graphics of FIFA on the PC are so superior to that of the PS3 it's not even funny. So much crisper, clearer, and the colors even seem more vibrant.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bleach168 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:14 am

"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby jfg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:20 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

Just hooked mine all up and worked great. Biggest adjustment is re-adjusting myself to the 360 controller from the PS3 controller. The graphics of FIFA on the PC are so superior to that of the PS3 it's not even funny. So much crisper, clearer, and the colors even seem more vibrant.

Yeah I've been playing Arkham City this week and the detail on the PC is amazing and I'm only playing at 720p. It blows the same game on PS3 at 1080p out of the water. The next consoles still won't be able to match what your PC is capable of. I'll have to make a video card upgrade sometime in the next year as I went cheap to save on the initial cost, but that's still cheaper than a console.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk