Computer for Gaming - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Computer for Gaming

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Computer for Gaming

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:30 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:You probably could build a gaming PC for ~$500-550 that can handle decent resolutions for games, but that all depends on if you have the time and patience to build one.

If not, you should still be able to find a decent enough PC that will handle FIFA well enough.

lastingsgriller wrote:I love FIFA. I don't even know what the heck modding is. but, If you ever get up on the PS3, hit me up sometime. I'm sure you can figure out my user name.

I prefer FIFA on PC for the customization. There's truly no better platform for FIFA than PC. Unfortunately, I can't get most folks in my inner circle to play on the PC and most times on 360, I'm just playing Ultimate Team. That, or career mode with a Championship/League One side.

AD, if/when I actually get setup, would you be able to help me with mod installation? Just need a crash course in the editing programs they use. I used the ones with the NBA series years ago, and I imagine there's some similarities.

If a PC comes equipped with (DW1502 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card), does that mean it's ready for Wifi out of the box? There's no way I can hard wire this thing to my router, which is on a different floor than it's going to be on.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:44 pm

This is where my compulsion gets the best of me. I'm like a classic case, I'm sure. Just bought the Alienware x61 Gaming PC. I know that building and going some of the less commercial name brands is a much wiser choice in terms of bang for buck, and that Alienware is a glorified Dell, but the system fits into the space I have for it in my entertainment center, it has a 660 video card/chip/whatever which from what I read is good quality, it has 8 GB of RAM, expandable to 16 GB, and I was told I could probably get by with just 4 GB, it has built in Wifi so I can plug and play and hit the ground running, hopefully. I'm sure there's equally capable machines out there for considerably cheaper (I got it for $999 at Tiger Direct... only double what I had originally wanted to spend). I'm calling it my Xmas gift to myself. I can spend time on it while my girlfriend enjoys the puppy I got her for Xmas.

This is the part where you guys laugh at my ignorance.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm reading that hooking a monitor up via the graphics cars instead of HDMI is optimal... GF, is this the case? If so, is there an adapter that I can buy so that it comes out of my PCs graphics card and goes into my TV's HDMI port?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:16 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm reading that hooking a monitor up via the graphics cars instead of HDMI is optimal... GF, is this the case? If so, is there an adapter that I can buy so that it comes out of my PCs graphics card and goes into my TV's HDMI port?

dont really know anything about that but the graphic card itself is what has the hdmi port so I would think that would work fine.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:41 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm reading that hooking a monitor up via the graphics cars instead of HDMI is optimal... GF, is this the case? If so, is there an adapter that I can buy so that it comes out of my PCs graphics card and goes into my TV's HDMI port?

What they are saying is that hooking up a port on your graphics card to your TV is optimal over the HDMI port built into your motherboard. Which is true since you're not using the card you bought specifically for graphics.

To get a good gaming experience out of a laptop you need to spend some money so going with a desktop is the best bet. You could build a system in a Micro-ATX case for a size somewhat similar to a laptop with the power and customization that a desktop provides. I was hesitant to do this with my first build but I think if I ever build another I'll try a Micro-ATX. However, if you don't want to build, I've seen PCs on Slick Deals that are about as good as a PC I recently built for around the same price of $500. Keep your eye out there like GF said, and read the comments. By the time it hits front page there are usually enough knowledgeable users who have weighed in if it's actually a good deal.

One other thing, do the Fifa 13 mods actually require more CPU and GPU power? They may not since they could be just using the same template just with more detail but it's not actually changing resolution. I know mods in games like Skyrim rarely require the GPU to work harder. Some do, but most don't. So, if you're looking at graphics cards, you probably don't need a top of the line one to run mods with Fifa.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:02 pm

jfg wrote:

What they are saying is that hooking up a port on your graphics card to your TV is optimal over the HDMI port built into your motherboard. Which is true since you're not using the card you bought specifically for graphics.

To get a good gaming experience out of a laptop you need to spend some money so going with a desktop is the best bet. You could build a system in a Micro-ATX case for a size somewhat similar to a laptop with the power and customization that a desktop provides. I was hesitant to do this with my first build but I think if I ever build another I'll try a Micro-ATX. However, if you don't want to build, I've seen PCs on Slick Deals that are about as good as a PC I recently built for around the same price of $500. Keep your eye out there like GF said, and read the comments. By the time it hits front page there are usually enough knowledgeable users who have weighed in if it's actually a good deal.

One other thing, do the Fifa 13 mods actually require more CPU and GPU power? They may not since they could be just using the same template just with more detail but it's not actually changing resolution. I know mods in games like Skyrim rarely require the GPU to work harder. Some do, but most don't. So, if you're looking at graphics cards, you probably don't need a top of the line one to run mods with Fifa.

Is there a converter that will allow me to connect to the video card on one end, and into my TV via HDMI on the other end?

Also, I wound up getting the alienware x51.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 pm

If you got an Alienware, I'm guessing it has a graphics card with an HDMI out on it. The things you were reading aren't knocking HDMI, they are knocking HDMI built into the motherboard which doesn't have the GPU capabilities that a dedicated graphics card has. HDMI out on the graphics card itself is just as capable as VGA out. In fact, HDMI is a little better since it will automatically detect your TV's max resolution.

Speaking of resolution, remember that you can only output resolution that your TV will handle which is either 720p or most likely 1080p. I also have my PC hooked directly into a plasma, and if you need any help with that let me know. I know when I first plugged mine in, it looked like garbage and I needed to run some calibrations on it to tweak video settings. It looks great now, so if it doesn't look good I can point you in the direction of some good calibration files I used.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:03 pm

jfg wrote:If you got an Alienware, I'm guessing it has a graphics card with an HDMI out on it. The things you were reading aren't knocking HDMI, they are knocking HDMI built into the motherboard which doesn't have the GPU capabilities that a dedicated graphics card has. HDMI out on the graphics card itself is just as capable as VGA out. In fact, HDMI is a little better since it will automatically detect your TV's max resolution.

Speaking of resolution, remember that you can only output resolution that your TV will handle which is either 720p or most likely 1080p. I also have my PC hooked directly into a plasma, and if you need any help with that let me know. I know when I first plugged mine in, it looked like garbage and I needed to run some calibrations on it to tweak video settings. It looks great now, so if it doesn't look good I can point you in the direction of some good calibration files I used.

I will definitely need help, and the video card it has is 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660. I hope the HDMI hooks right into that card and not the motherboard. That'd be ideal. When it arrives in a week or two, I will most certainly be hollering to get help tweaking the video settings to make it optimal. My TV is 1080p, it's a 72" Mitsubishi DLP which has a phenomenal picture.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:25 pm

That most definitely has an HDMI and it's a card that you will have no problems maxing out specs at 1080p for awhile. Any current game will be able to run at max settings at 1080p for sure and I'd guess it will be that way for the next couple of years. It's a mid-high end card. It's also an NVidia which should be a little better out of the box than an AMD card. For one, AMD's have overscan issues that are fixable but definitely an issue with HDTVs. Also, Nvidia's software is better than Catalyst Control. I have AMD but my next card will probably be Nvidia after how much I had to tweak to make it look good on an HDTV. Home theater enthusiasts swear by Nvidia but I didn't listen. So anyway, it's very possible it may be plug and play. First thing I'd download is Steam and have it update your graphics card drivers. It's the easiest way to do it, and Steam rules anyway for cheap games.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:37 am

if it's not too late to cancel your order...

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/86520/d ... ce=twitter
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk